Missing Items in Cabin

2Canucks

In all of our cruising history, since 1984, we have never had anything taken from our room or our luggage.

We have never had anything taken either. Wallet/money/jewelry goes in the safe as soon as we board and I take what money we need at each port.

Computer sits out/camera sits out/phones are out charging usually. No sense in hiding anything IMO.

If someone wants to steal it and it's not in the safe they will find it regardless of where it's hidden.

Keep in mind that other workers have access to your room when you are not around. We have come back & found someone measuring our balcony( it was an irregular size) for new flooring, & another time hazmat had come to disinfect the wrong room. Plumbers have also come while we were away but that was expected.

In our 33 cruises, we have never had any issue of theft.My DH leaves the laptop, cameras and we leave our phones out. I leave my jewelry in the little box in the bathroom for when I'm getting ready for dinner in the evening.

Last year on our Coastal cruise the Crown, my brother went in my DH's place as he had to work, my brother left some cash, not much maybe 30 bucks on the table the first day, not sure why he left it, maybe because everything is done with the room card, and it remained there the entire week.

I'm onboard the Caribbean Princess right now. One couple at our dinner table mentioned they were missing some funds they had put on a shelf in the closet area.

Has anyone else had any items...funds disappear from their cabins?

I've never had this problem and was quite shocked.

Any info you can share would be helpful.

Thank You

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not too bright !

I'm onboard the Caribbean Princess right now. One couple at our dinner table mentioned they were missing some funds they had put on a shelf in the closet area.

Thank You

They should of put it in the safe.

In all our cruises, never had anything taken. Maybe we are too trusting, but we don't use the safe much and when we do we don't lock it. Just a place to store things. We leave laptops, tablets and cameras in plain sight.

It would take real guts to enter a cabin with the door propped open. No way to escape if caught.

Never have had any problem with items stolen on a cruise.

We put jewelry, cash and credit cards in the safe and lock it (most of the time). While occasionally we leave a charging laptop or camera on a desk, we also simply dedicate a desk drawer for electronics and accessories while we are not in the cabin. We figure anyone taking the opportunity to visit a cabin with an open door during cleaning would also target what is visible, so just keep stuff out of sight.

Every instance of "something is missing" has turned out to be our own error - e.g. left in shorts or pants last worn, or put in wrong location.

We have never had anything stolen, we do tend to keep things in the safe, but my laptop is left out as it won't fit in the safe. We have left a few dollars out as a tip for room service, clearly there with the mini-bar items to be changed out, but although room service came, they didn't take the tip.

I did have a cabin steward who recovered the a plastic part from my curling iron after it had broken off and I put the part in the trash can. He epoxied it back together. Before he did that he was getting a B in the cabin steward report card department, afterwards, he was a total A+. That was above and beyond and although he did pay a bit more attention than might be wanted to what was in the trash can, he clearly delighted me with that repair.

There is a reason why the first thing security does when someone reports a theft is to do a complete and very detailed search of the cabin. Most of the time the item was not stolen, but instead misplaced. Sometimes the missing item is not found, but in a fairly high percentage of time it is.

Cabin stewards are mostly from very poor countries and are proud of their well paying job. They know they will lose that job if anything goes missing.

This exactly! Theft in a cabin is more likely due to door being propped open during cleaning and a fellow passenger takes advantage of an opportunity.

This is why it's so important to not leave things out where someone could take advantage of the 10 seconds to grab an iPad and disappear while the attendant is cleaning in the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree - sometimes if they leave the door open while cleaning other rooms, people could slip in. The workers all know that the lock on the door can track who opens the stateroom and they would lose there job - too risky for a few bucks......

I agree - sometimes if they leave the door open while cleaning other rooms, people could slip in. The workers all know that the lock on the door can track who opens the stateroom and they would lose there job - too risky for a few bucks......

especially if the steward is cleaning the bathroom.

Thank You

Never had anything go missing.

I'm shocked too. Who would leave cash lying around?

Particularly when the there is a safe in the cabin.

I just seems like (not too) common sense.

Last cruise while cleaning out the safe I found a small box back under the front lip of the safe. It contained a really nice necklace.

We took it to the passenger service desk and watched it being logged into the lost and found report.

So, what are the chances that the owner told family and friends that they had a necklace "stolen" from their cabin?

Bob

Last cruise while cleaning out the safe I found a small box back under the front lip of the safe. It contained a really nice necklace.

We took it to the passenger service desk and watched it being logged into the lost and found report.

So, what are the chances that the owner told family and friends that they had a necklace "stolen" from their cabin?

Bob

Do you get to keep it if no one claims it? ;)