Flying to NY Questions

Dwilli

My husband and I are from Boston and we are cruising to the Bahamas on the Gem in July. We are trying to figure out a few things.

First, what airport should we fly into? LGA doesn't have any early flights so it would probably have to be JFK or EWR.

Second, if we got a flight that landed at 8:15 - 9:00 a.m. on the day of the cruise, would we be ok? If not, where can we stay the night before that won't break the bank.

And last but not least, we think we want to get a car service. Which one is the best? I understand that's a person's opinion but I'd like to hear what people think. Thanks for any info you can give me!

Ok. You should be fine with the 8:15. But of course there is always a risk. EWR is going to cost more for car service because of crossing state lines but the port is right next to Lincoln tunnel it's further but with traffic at LaG lately everything is less certain

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I agree--take the Greyhound bus or the train from Boston and save your air miles for another trip. You can book early on the bus and get great deals--sometimes under $20 for a trip. Once you get to Port Authority, just go outside to the taxi stand and get a taxi--10 minute ride to the terminal. Train would cost more. If you fly to LGA and then get a taxi to the city, you will be paying around $40-50 to the terminal--much more from JFK. Going to JFK from the city is a flat rate with the yellow taxis and to LGA would be about $40. I've taken the bus from Boston many times and no problems. Depending on where you live in Boston or the suburbs, C and J Bus (out of Portsmouth) stops in Tewksbury and heads right to Port Authority. I take the NYC bus with C and J from Portsmouth NH and it costs $80 one way, 5 hours direct, and excellent service with clean buses. Good luck!

Fly in the night before. Use a service like Hotwire to get a "blind" hotel in NYC the night before for under $100 (it will be more than $100 with tax & occupancy fees). Pick 4 stars or better. It will be cruise ship tiny but you won't have as many transportation woes.

I agree--take the Greyhound bus or the train from Boston and save your air miles for another trip. You can book early on the bus and get great deals--sometimes under $20 for a trip. Once you get to Port Authority, just go outside to the taxi stand and get a taxi--10 minute ride to the terminal. Train would cost more. If you fly to LGA and then get a taxi to the city, you will be paying around $40-50 to the terminal--much more from JFK. Going to JFK from the city is a flat rate with the yellow taxis and to LGA would be about $40. I've taken the bus from Boston many times and no problems. Depending on where you live in Boston or the suburbs, C and J Bus (out of Portsmouth) stops in Tewksbury and heads right to Port Authority. I take the NYC bus with C and J from Portsmouth NH and it costs $80 one way, 5 hours direct, and excellent service with clean buses. Good luck!

When I first read this thread this is exactly what I was thinking.

I'm using Jet Blue miles so our flight will be free.

No, it won't be free: it will cost you the miles you could use (probably much more effectively) on another flight. It will also get you to one of several airports - any of which will involve an expensive (and hassle-ridden) trip to/from cruise terminal - or hotel, if you come in a day early. It will also take you about as much total time when you figure in getting to/from airports and check-in time as would the MUCH more comfortable Amtrak Northeast Corridor service between Boston and New York.

I have to agree with the "save you miles for something else and take the train/bus or drive and park. What it's going to cost you to get from the airport to/from the ship is probably not much less than what what a train/bus ticket would be. (Maybe even more!)