Tiny drinks

sassyw

When I was doing my research on Oceania, these small drinks were one of the first things that stood out ... and were also pointed out by some of you.

I also read that if you get the package where you have wine/beer with lunch and dinner you're fortunate indeed to get more than one glass, and don't even think of taking too long at lunch because you'll be cut off.

Is it true that the wine pours are only 1 l/2 oz?

Just off the Sirena and had the package with wine and beer for lunch and dinner. No short pours, kept my glass full, no problem changing wines in the middle of the meal and no threats to cut me off. I actually had to cover my glass at times when I had had enough wine. The wine stewards were great and the wine by the glass was quite enjoyable.

That is what makes Oceania so good. We have choice that most other lines do not give us. We enjoy having a drink in our cabin while getting dressed for dinner. Each to his own.

What you say may be true but that doesn't really help the TS who expected to be able to pay for alcohol with their OBC's. They didn't know how small Oceania's pours are or how expensive the drinks are (plus the tip).

P.S. I do drink champagne while unpacking and certainly understand having a drink in your cabin. However, I've read some questions about bringing on multiple bottles of alcohol and wine....... do people really drink that much in their cabins? IMO, this takes away from the sociability of being on a ship. But, of course, people have choices.

Is it true that the wine pours are only 1 l/2 oz?

I think they are taking about spirits :)

In our experience the mixed drinks were strong

DH had to ask for more tonic with his G & T

I had a pina colada ...I could have passed out just smelling the rum in the drink

My wine glass was fairly full

We do not buy the drink packages

I would just wait & see what your experiences are before you judge :D

I suspect some people have a heavy hand when pouring their own drinks

What you say may be true but that doesn't really help the TS who expected to be able to pay for alcohol with their OBC's. They didn't know how small Oceania's pours are or how expensive the drinks are (plus the tip).

P.S. I do drink champagne while unpacking and certainly understand having a drink in your cabin. However, I've read some questions about bringing on multiple bottles of alcohol and wine....... do people really drink that much in their cabins? IMO, this takes away from the sociability of being on a ship. But, of course, people have choices.

I would think everyone brings on different amounts. A few bottles of vodka for 14 or so days does not seem a lot since we both have a drink before dinner. Some days we also meet our friends for a drink at the bar. Almost never bring on wine. Order it at dinner and most days put some away for the next night. :):)

I think there is one poster here that has mentioned they get the Owner's Suite and hardly ever come out, including meals and drinks. Only for ports. Not the way I'd want to travel but to each their own.

I think there is one poster here that has mentioned they get the Owner's Suite and hardly ever come out, including meals and drinks. Only for ports. Not the way I'd want to travel but to each their own.

Don't know if I would like it or not but sure would like to try it. Owners Suite looks wonderful. Might not come out either. Chances are slim to none unless we hit the lottery.

Having cruised on Princess, their pours are small as well. For my husband to have a pre dinner drink would be a triple Scotch. Pretty much paid for the beverage package in one drink.

I don't think I could complain about that! I saw the oceania menu had a number of scotches, some don't seem as If they would be complimentary, any guidelines on free vs. paid Scotches with the premium patckage?

Personally I bought the prestige package for myself since I have no doubt I will get my money's worth. My Wife will do a la carte since she may only do 1-2 drinks at dinner, not even worth the house package.

I guess that's why I didn't pay too much attention to pours, but I will say most US cocktail books call for at least 2 oz. of main spirit with .5-1oz of aperitif or alcoholic mixer, for 2.5-3.5 oz of actual alcoholic beverage. 2/3 for primary and 1/3 for mixer ratios are common.

We will probably bring a few bottles of wine from each port and a bottle of bourbon or two for pre and post-dinner drinks, just in case!

I don't think I could complain about that! I saw the oceania menu had a number of scotches, some don't seem as If they would be complimentary, any guidelines on free vs. paid Scotches with the premium patckage?

I believe just the top Cognac XO VSOP are not included

The bourbons are included

someone in the know will correct me if I am wrong

Since they have been giving away all this OBC, the draught beer size has gone down from 500ml (17oz) to 330ml (12oz) as has the size of bottles. Grolsch used to be 500ml (17oz) bottle but is now 330ml. Some of the bottles are as small as 275ml (10oz) but the prices have not reduced. On our last cruise we found the beers to be very expensive.

I find the price of wine and beer very expensive on Oceania compared to other lines I have traveled and the pours small. This is a big change from when we started cruising on Oceania in 2008 when the drinks were reasonable. We use to order wine by the glass for dinner but now we purchase a good local wine in port and pay the corkage fee. At the last happy hour the waitress asked if I would like to have both glasses of of wine (2 for 1) in the same glass instead of separate at different times and I said sure so to save the waitress an additional trip.When I got my glass, it was the same as a good poor in a hometown restaurant and we live in New York.

I find the price of wine and beer very expensive on Oceania compared to other lines I have traveled and the pours small. This is a big change from when we started cruising on Oceania in 2008 when the drinks were reasonable. We use to order wine by the glass for dinner but now we purchase a good local wine in port and pay the corkage fee. At the last happy hour the waitress asked if I would like to have both glasses of of wine (2 for 1) in the same glass instead of separate at different times and I said sure so to save the waitress an additional trip.When I got my glass, it was the same as a good poor in a hometown restaurant and we live in New York.

Too bad that they have to nickle and dime us with this stuff. The cruise fares are high enough that they should be reasonable with the rest of their prices. ie: tours, drinks, spa Give us a break somewhere. :(:(:(

Personally I bought the prestige package for myself since I have no doubt I will get my money's worth. My Wife will do a la carte since she may only do 1-2 drinks at dinner, not even worth the house package.

I guess that's why I didn't pay too much attention to pours, but I will say most US cocktail books call for at least 2 oz. of main spirit with .5-1oz of aperitif or alcoholic mixer, for 2.5-3.5 oz of actual alcoholic beverage. 2/3 for primary and 1/3 for mixer ratios are common.

We will probably bring a few bottles of wine from each port and a bottle of bourbon or two for pre and post-dinner drinks, just in case!

If it's on the bar menu it's included on the Premium Package.

What menu were you looking at?

There are some high end scotches in Polo that's not included.

Princess still sells the "flip-up" large bottles for $6.75 + gratuity. I think Oceania wants more people to buy the premium package.

Yes, but you'd have to sail Princess to get it. For my needs a premium package is usually good. I don't care for the basic package, as I tend to drink more at other times than meals, and rarely have a beer with food. I usually happy with one glass of wine with a meal

Princess still sells the "flip-up" large bottles for $6.75 + gratuity. I think Oceania wants more people to buy the premium package.

You are not obligated to take the package & you could bring your own beer or spirits for use in your cabin on O but not on princess

All lines have a trade off you just have to decide what works best for YOU ;)

We were just on Riviera and were happy with the alcohol quantities for our drinks. I drink Pinch (Haig & Haig) on the rocks and felt like the quantities given to me were appropriate.

Only drink complaint was with pool bar. I ordered the usual one banana daiquiri for the cruise and received a drink that was basically the banana daiquiri mix in a glass. No ice, no rum, just the mix.