First Day Room Steward Tip-how much?

daydrmblvr

Heading out today on our first cruise on the Breakaway. Read lots of informative info the last few weeks here, one of which was to tip your room steward on the first day. Just wondering how much? $20? :confused:

We usually give $20 on the first day when we meet him or her, and leave the rest on the last night of the cruise.

We also tip $20 on the first day, when we make a few miscellaneous requests. Then an additional tip at the end. We often get to know our stewards a bit, and seems like they always have a family back home, little kids they don't see for months at a time. They work really hard, are grateful for the extra cash and we're happy to give it.

We give $20 the first day when we meet them, then we leave $40 in a card on the last evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do the exact same thing:)....

I also bring "thank you" cards for other members of the cruise that have provided me with excellent service during our cruise.

That being said, I believe this is nice to do on longer cruises when you get to know some of the crew better than on a 7 day cruise.

Don

Giving money to a steward on boarding day, unless you have asked for something out of the norm, is not a tip or gratuity, it is a bribe. You can cal it anything you want, you can justify it any way you want but you only make yourself look foolish. In the steward's eyes you are telling them that you don't believe that they will do their job if you don't give them something ahead of time.

Would you ever tip a waiter in a restaurant as soon as you sit down? If the answer is yes then by all means continue to tip your steward, but if the answe is no then you know whether or not it is appropriate to give tip on the first day you meet your steward.

Heading out today on our first cruise on the Breakaway. Read lots of informative info the last few weeks here, one of which was to tip your room steward on the first day. Just wondering how much? $20? :confused:

Don't believe everything you read.

Giving money to a steward on boarding day, unless you have asked for something out of the norm, is not a tip or gratuity, it is a bribe. You can cal it anything you want, you can justify it any way you want but you only make yourself look foolish. In the steward's eyes you are telling them that you don't believe that they will do their job if you don't give them something ahead of time.

Would you ever tip a waiter in a restaurant as soon as you sit down? If the answer is yes then by all means continue to tip your steward, but if the answe is no then you know whether or not it is appropriate to give tip on the first day you meet your steward.

It is absolutely a bribe. You are right. But if that $20 bribe gets me better service than it is worth it to me. Like I said earlier I have a special request up front that a cooler stay full of ice.

"Actually they ONLY call it that when getting the DSF paid for you is part of the free at sea. Everywhere else it is still called the DSF (or DSC) and rightfully so" The THAT refers to me responding to someone calling the DSF a gratuity. NCL does only call the DSF a GRATUITY in the Free At Sea promo,. So basically you are agreeing with me, thank you!

OK, good. It appeared that your original statement had some redundancies in it so it was contradictory. :)

"Actually they ONLY call it that when getting the DSF paid for you is part of the free at sea. Everywhere else it is still called the DSF (or DSC) and rightfully so" The THAT refers to me responding to someone calling the DSF a gratuity. NCL does only call the DSF a GRATUITY in the Free At Sea promo,. So basically you are agreeing with me, thank you!

OK, good. It appeared there was some redundancy in your original statements that seemed contradictory. :)

Don't believe everything you read.

Exactly!

The Cruise Company gets the money the crew does the work. Week in and week out.

I always carry money with me and having been in the 'service' industry' long ago know it's much appreciated.

I make sure I meet my cabin stew on day 1. Even if it's in the evening.

If I require something (Which I do) it is written down and handed to him/her as they are very busy that first day.

I leave tips every day, just because I desire, not to bribe, but to show appreciation.

I tip bartenders, extremely good waiters, busboys who pick up my dishes, and even the cleaning lady in the public bathrooms that some seem to ignore, as if she is not visible.

In all my years of cruising I have never had a bad stew.

They are allowed to keep the tips they receive from you for themselves, while the onboard tips are divided.

The absolutely best thing you can do for your cabin steward, is to PICK UP your stuff.

Some of the cabins I have seen, look like they live in a cave whirlwind, and expect everything to be picked up by someone, who has anywhere from 15 to 20 cabins to clean and make beds.

No, you don't have to tip one single person at all, but it would be nice IF you are asking for something.

I wrote a letter for a crew member who chased me down as I was leaving the ship. He gushed with pride that a passenger would take the time to write about his work, and he was sending it to his mother at home. That alone made my cruise, that such a small thing made a persons day. A follow-up letter is written to HQ. My grandchildren are required to write a letter for someone who made their cruise exceptional. When we return to a ship they are recognized and given personal attention.

It is the act of appreciating ones WORK that they desire most.

Exactly!

The Cruise Company gets the money the crew does the work. Week in and week out.

I always carry money with me and having been in the 'service' industry' long ago know it's much appreciated.

I make sure I meet my cabin stew on day 1. Even if it's in the evening.

If I require something (Which I do) it is written down and handed to him/her as they are very busy that first day.

I leave tips every day, just because I desire, not to bribe, but to show appreciation.

I tip bartenders, extremely good waiters, busboys who pick up my dishes, and even the cleaning lady in the public bathrooms that some seem to ignore, as if she is not visible.

In all my years of cruising I have never had a bad stew.

They are allowed to keep the tips they receive from you for themselves, while the onboard tips are divided.

The absolutely best thing you can do for your cabin steward, is to PICK UP your stuff.

Some of the cabins I have seen, look like they live in a cave whirlwind, and expect everything to be picked up by someone, who has anywhere from 15 to 20 cabins to clean and make beds.

No, you don't have to tip one single person at all, but it would be nice IF you are asking for something.

I wrote a letter for a crew member who chased me down as I was leaving the ship. He gushed with pride that a passenger would take the time to write about his work, and he was sending it to his mother at home. That alone made my cruise, that such a small thing made a persons day. A follow-up letter is written to HQ. My grandchildren are required to write a letter for someone who made their cruise exceptional. When we return to a ship they are recognized and given personal attention.

It is the act of appreciating ones WORK that they desire most.

Thank you. I agree with you 100%.