Auto gratuities

torcruise

Copied from the CCL FAQs :

Our recommended guideline to what is appropriate is $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites. The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

Here is the breakdown, per day:

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

Remember that when they say Dining Team the Lido servers are inluded in that split so no mater where you choose to eat your tip is covered. :)

like if the cruise line takes some of it without telling them how much we really paid

That would be criminal fraud.

Can't see Carnival doing that for the meager amount they would gain.

Besides, their employees can find out the amounts of auto tips off the Carnival website, same as we can.

I am a former Crew member from back in the envelope days and they did not take any portion of our grats as I assure you that they do not now. HOWEVER, they too have onboard accounts for things like uniform pieces that may be lost or damaged (they give you issued pieces they pay for at first but you have to pay for more if you want to have extras), crew bar accounts, etc. They could make them pay their accounts out of the pool before they are given the tips. It used to come out of our $2.00 an hour paychecks, but I am assuming this could be the case.

I may get flamed for this...but that's why I remove gratuities and pay everyone in cash. I tip very generously. I just heard somewhere they really appreciate the cash. I always make sure everyone who I come into contact with gets their share.

Copied from the CCL FAQs :

Our recommended guideline to what is appropriate is $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites. The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

Alternative Services: $2.50

Remember that when they say Dining Team the Lido servers are inluded in that split so no mater where you choose to eat your tip is covered. :)

If this is correct then the stewards that are now doing 35 rooms once a day are hauling in some pretty good dough! Thirty-five two person rooms would yield $280 in tips. Even if you divide that by two workers $140 a day x 7 days equals $980 a week per person.

If this is correct then the stewards that are now doing 35 rooms once a day are hauling in some pretty good dough! Thirty-five two person rooms would yield $280 in tips. Even if you divide that by two workers $140 a day x 7 days equals $980 a week per person.

Your assumption (albeit wrong) is everyone tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I may get flamed for this...but that's why I remove gratuities and pay everyone in cash. I tip very generously. I just heard somewhere they really appreciate the cash. I always make sure everyone who I come into contact with gets their share.

What about the people you don't come in contact with? The cooks and galley workers? crew who keep the ship clean? and on and on. What about them?

I'm not going to flame you because I believe you are trying to do right by the crew. But it has been shown time and again here by employees, insiders and experienced cruisers that removing auto-tips hurts some people as some of that money goes to people behind the scenes you would never come into contact with but they work very hard to make sure your cruise was enjoyable.

So what I do is leave the auto-tips and then find the people who I know went out of their way to make my vacation better and give them something extra. I'll probably miss some that way too but at least I know for sure the behind the scenes people got something.

What about the people you don't come in contact with? The cooks and galley workers? crew who keep the ship clean? and on and on. What about them?

Here's what CCL FAQ says about who gets what from the auto-grats:

I'd assume that anyone not listed is a salaried employee and does not count on tips for their income.

The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

--------- >Alternative Services: $2.50

.....but you are leaving people out. There are loads of people who work to make your experience enjoyable who have a gratuity based salary that get nothing because you only tip a select few.

note that the same dining room waiters/waitress also work on the lido buffet during breakfast/lunch sometimes.during the Mexican-midnight buffet one day, i noticed my waiter!!

Removing tips is just plain sleazy and cheap. The ones that say how they are generous tippers are the ones who stiff everyone. The auto tip is there for a reason. As other have said if you really like your room steward or waiter tip extra in cash. Unless you had a horrible experience, which you should share with guest services, auto tip.

There is always a reason that people remove auto tips (stingy, OCD, arrogant, vain, etc.)

And their excuses that they prefer to had out their tips personally, while well intended, come up short every time.

There are hundreds of employees who perform those "behind the scenes" tasks that allow them to vacation (such as all laundry services - sheets, napkins, pool towels, room towels, those who wash all the dishes, cups, mugs and utinsels they dirty, the cooks, - the list is endless)

They are not cleaning 35 rooms once a day. In fact, they generally have to clean up twice, morning and evening. If it takes 10 minutes per room, that's 700 minutes, which is 11.6 hours. 7 days a week of 12 hour work day and thats only assuming it takes 10 minutes to clean up a room on average. Thats an equivalent of an 81.2 hour week at 100% efficiency (no down time). Slow it down by 2 minutes/room, and you're up to a 14 hour day (840 minutes) at 100% efficiency (no down time).

If they are cleaning 35 rooms every day twice a day, and they're making $1000.00 in tips? They deserve it. Add to the fact that many (though not all) seem to have a very sunny disposition after doing this week on and week off for 7 months straight. If i had that job, I'd probably be very surly. If they make the full tips themselves (without having to share), then they're welcome to it, that's a tough job!!!