Medallions to replace cruise cards?

BarbinMich

Does anyone know if this can be worn by a person who has a pacemaker?

People with a pacemaker cannot even go thru the security screening device so I would not feel comfortable using this device. I also would be concerned being with/near a device like this.

I will have to contact Princess regarding the tech used on these and then check with my Cardiologist.

Do you have a late model car with a remote opener? To you have a garage door opener in your car? Do you have an earphone for your smartphone? Does your smartphone talk to your car? If the answer to any one of these is "yes" and you have no problem with your pacemaker, then you will have no problems with the medallion. But, yes, ask your cardiologist if bluetooth is a problem.

We're on the same cruise and are looking forward to trying out the new medallions.

And by the way, STOP comparing them to Disney "Magic Bands". If they do half of what Princess is saying, they will do FAR more than the Disney bands (that we used last year)!

Disney has just had to reinstall credit card readers as they have had problems withtheir bands. Neice who is a big Disney fan sent me a notice.

BTW the plural of y'all is all y'all.

"Y'all" IS plural. Always. It's a Southern American term for "you all", which, of course, is inappropriate in the singular. They only time you will hear "y'all" used to refer to one is when a Yankee is trying to sound Southern. None of us real Southerners use it that way.

And by the way, STOP comparing them to Disney "Magic Bands". If they do half of what Princess is saying, they will do FAR more than the Disney bands (that we used last year)!

The Medallions are being designed by the same team that designed the Magic Bands, so comparisons are inevitable.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3066933/how-the-minds-behind-disneys-magicband-are-remaking-a-38b-cruise-giant

The functionality concepts and mechanics are very, very similar. How that functionality is actually implemented and expanded is where the differences lie. Disney is rolling out and expanding the Magic Band to more people much more quickly. On any given day, Disney hosts more people than Princess could squeeze onto 70 of its ships and it cannot slow roll its Magic Band usage. For them, it is all or nothing. Meanwhile, the medallion roll-out is limited to just a few ships over the next two years. So yes, expect to see the Medallions do more, but for far fewer people. That the Medallion might have more features used by 7,000 or so people per day doesn't undercut the fact that the platform and concept is pretty much the same as what Disney has rolled out for 180,000 people per day. You get a sense of this when a Disney Cast Member turns to your daughter, says "Hello" by name and wishes her a "Happy Graduation" all based on information that was picked up from a near field reader instantly as we approached. A Cast Member knowing that my daughter just graduated from high school is not much different from a bartender knowing my favorite drink.

That is sort of the problem with princess.

Like their previous technology (mis) adventures, they will be lucky to get half of what they promise.

I'm not wearing a bracelet. Period.

You don't have to. You can put it in your pocket. You can put it in a purse. You can put it in a briefcase. You can put it in one of those pacs some people wear around their waist (I'm not going to mention the American name out of sensitivity to our British readers). You can wear it as a pendant on a necklace. You can wear it in your hair. You can wear it on a garter around your ankle. You can wear or carry it however you want.

It may actually be easier to carry than the current cruise card. For one thing, it is waterproof. You can wear it while swimming or carry it in a swimsuit pocket, so you don't have to worry about where to put it while at the pool.

So, how do you find out your assignment? How's Princess going to keep Assigned diners out of ATD?

The same way they do it now. They don't.:) On the room assignment probably written on paper like hotels, then you have to remember it.

So, how do you find out your assignment? How's Princess going to keep Assigned diners out of ATD?

1. You find your dining assignment on the "compass" side of the new technology. The "medallion" is just a transmitter. The real heart of this new engine is the "compass". That is where you will find your itinerary, your excursion reservations, your dining reservations and dining assignments, your spa reservations, etc. Think of the compass as your "TripIt" for all ship and port activities and reservations. It will store all of your cruise information in one place. Disney does this with "My Disney Experience". The compass will be analogous to this just as the medallion is analogous to the Magic Band.
  2. When you approach the podium at the MDR, your medallion will emit a signal that can be read by the maitre'd who will immediately know your name, your cabin number, your dining assignment, whether you prefer still or sparkling water, whether you typically order wine and if so, red or white, and whether you prefer to dine alone or join a group at a table.

I for one am really disappointed that the medallions will not be available on the Coral when we sail in May. I have been to Disney 3 times since the Magic Band was introduced & I love the convenience! I hate keeping up with a card. I can see where some men don't like the idea of a bracelet or necklace, but women don't always carry a purse, or have pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can see where some men don't like the idea of a bracelet or necklace, ...

I can't think of a single time when I leave my cabin that I do not have a pocket on at least one of my articles of clothing. My medallion will be slipped discreetly into a pocket (just as my cruise card has been up to this point in time.) Men just need to get over themselves! At WDW I didn't like the idea of wearing the MB as a bracelet, so I stuck it in my pocket. But I found myself needing it often enough (for Fast Passes and attraction interaction) that I got over myself and wore it like a watch. Since I wear a watch every day, this was not a drastic adjustment.

It sounds pretty good to me. It says you can order a drink to be delivered to you at a show later on. It's listed on a cruise I may take next summer. If I do book that cruise, I'll probably maximize the benefits of it. While I like to be active and do lots of things, I also love being lazy. Sounds awesome to plan to veg out near the pool and have stuff delivered to me without having to flag down a waiter or stand in a line somewhere.

I Men just need to get over themselves! At WDW I didn't like the idea of wearing the MB as a bracelet, so I stuck it in my pocket. But I found myself needing it often enough (for Fast Passes and attraction interaction) that I got over myself and wore it like a watch. Since I wear a watch every day, this was not a drastic adjustment.

At Disney, no one gives men wearing Magic Bands a second thought. The MB is "standard-issue" for Disney resort guests! We did not stay in at a Disney resort the last trip so we purchased MBs to wear because they are so easy to use. I bet in a couple of years, cruisers will be wondering what they did before they had cruise medallions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds pretty good to me. It says you can order a drink to be delivered to you at a show later on. It's listed on a cruise I may take next summer. If I do book that cruise, I'll probably maximize the benefits of it. While I like to be active and do lots of things, I also love being lazy. Sounds awesome to plan to veg out near the pool and have stuff delivered to me without having to flag down a waiter or stand in a line somewhere.

The only downside that I see (and admittedly, this is a BIGGIE), is that since most of the user interface will occur with the compass instead of the medallion, the system will require that people spend a lot of time staring at their cellphones. If you want to order that drink by the pool without flagging down a waiter, you will have to use your phone or tablet to do it. If you want to make that dinner reservation, you will have to use your phone or tablet to do it. If you want to find out when the fruit carving demonstration is going to take place, you will have to use you phone or tablet to call up the daily schedule. (I am betting that Patters are going the way of the dodo bird.) When you go to Disney World now, everyone is glued to their phones checking wait times, fast pass availability, dining reservation availability, entertainment schedules. It is kind of sad to see 50,000 people in the great outdoors all working their phones to "maximize the benefits" as you say. On a cruise, that would make me even sadder. :(

The only downside that I see (and admittedly, this is a BIGGIE), is that since most of the user interface will occur with the compass instead of the medallion, the system will require that people spend a lot of time staring at their cellphones............:(

That's a huge issue. Cruising is the only time DH can get away. Now he's stuck in his phone, being tempted to call the office.

Our phones are put into the safes and not taken out (usually) til the end if the cruise.

How does one access all this info w/o a $1000 computer in their purse? Great, now I have to carry a purse. At times I hate technology.

I can't think of a single time when I leave my cabin that I do not have a pocket on at least one of my articles of clothing. My medallion will be slipped discreetly into a pocket (just as my cruise card has been up to this point in time.) Men just need to get over themselves! At WDW I didn't like the idea of wearing the MB as a bracelet, so I stuck it in my pocket. But I found myself needing it often enough (for Fast Passes and attraction interaction) that I got over myself and wore it like a watch. Since I wear a watch every day, this was not a drastic adjustment.

Why do they need to get over it? Hopefully not just because you say so. By the way what have you to do with the development/ implementation of this system that seems to make you the expert?