Medallions to replace cruise cards?

BarbinMich

How does one access all this info w/o a $1000 computer in their purse? Great, now I have to carry a purse. At times I hate technology.

And what about us few "dinosaurs" who don't have smartphones???

Supposedly your TV will have touchscreen capabilities so that it can serve as your compass, but you have to be in your room (obviously) to use it. Sort of cuts down on the functionality. For example, if you are sitting on a chair on the Promenade and want a glass of Champagne, you can use your compass to order it, and the bar that gets the order will know your exact location based on signals received from the medallion and a server will walk the drink out to you. But if you place the order from your room, a) you won't be enjoying the Promenade; and b) even if you are headed there, the system won't know that since it will detect that you ordered from your room.

Also, there will be touchscreens positioned around the ship that you can use as your compass. (Disney uses kiosks for Fast Pass booking, but that is their only function).

carnival-cruise-ocean-mediallion-kiosk.jpg

56b707421cc748ce87f6dcc096ae6732-780x510.jpg

And finally, crew members will be walking around with tablets. You approach a crew member with a tablet, tell them what you want to do (for example, book a hair salon appointment) and they will do it for you. In terms of getting that glass of Champagne delivered to you, this sort of defeats the purpose. If you have to find a crew member with a tablet, you might as well just walk to the bar. The full functionality of the system really does depend on users having their own device coupled with a medallion. The two, working in concert, allow for both interaction with the ship's services as well location detection equipment. A drink can only magically appear at your lounge chair if the server knows where you are. This is the future of cruising....

hq720.jpg

That's a huge issue. Cruising is the only time DH can get away. Now he's stuck in his phone, being tempted to call the office.

Our phones are put into the safes and not taken out (usually) til the end if the cruise.

How does one access all this info w/o a $1000 computer in their purse? Great, now I have to carry a purse. At times I hate technology.

Apparently there will be numerous terminals throughout the ship to check. I don't know where you get your pricing Sadie, but the price of tablets and smartphones are nowhere close to $1,000. As far as you dinosaurs go, they do go extinct says the senior who owns a smartphone, IPad and computer.

Good question - also - what about when the wifi/bluetooth goes down (which it will)?

I, for one, would be seriously p*ssed if I couldn't get a drink because the electrons were playing silly b*gg*ers.:mad:

I think that they will find that they will still need to keep the more 'traditional' way of doing things going for some time to come, due to technical issues and (some) customer resistance.

Paper still has, and always will have, its place.

Apparently there will be numerous terminals throughout the ship to check. I don't know where you get your pricing Sadie, but the price of tablets and smartphones are nowhere close to $1,000. As far as you dinosaurs go, they do go extinct says the senior who owns a smartphone, IPad and computer.

Close enough to $1,000 for it to be a nice round number. (iPhone 7 256 large screen is $956)

Wonder how many crew this will eventually replace?

OTOH, wonder if this will cut down on all the Spa and Art Auction flyers?

Edited by SadieN

I have stayed in a hotel that let you make dinner reservations & room service choices using the TV & remote.

Some restaurants, Olive Garden & Chili's come to mind, have a pad at the table where you can order drinks & pay your bill. I've eaten at a fine dining restaurant where their menu is on an iPad.

At Disney, for those without smart phones, there is a kiosk with screens & attendants to help you modify plans. Plus, you can still use a plastic card if you choose to do so instead of wearing a magic band.

Some people are technologically challenged. My DH is one of them! The cruise lines want to keep all their passengers happy. There will always be crew members to assist those that have not mastered the art of the smart phone!

And when the system fails, heaven forbid, everyone panics! No satellite, no wifi, no cell service......life goes on & hopefully the crew is trained to deal with paper & plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Through the app. Either this one after an update or a newly created one.

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/activities/princess-at-sea/

That doesn't answer the question of WiFi or Bluetooth. Not too sure why it would matter as both are accessible thru airplane mode.

Though it'll be probably WiFi as that has greater range and the ships are already hooked up for it. Look for a square white box with a blue (green?) light on the ceiling. Those are the hot spots. On the Ruby they were placed about every 1 1/2 cabin section (every three sections had two) and in public areas.

That doesn't answer the question of WiFi or Bluetooth. Not too sure why it would matter as both are accessible thru airplane mode.

Actually, it does answer the question. If you click on the link that I provided, you will find the answer. (Hint: It starts with "Wi" and ends with "Fi".

Close enough to $1,000 for it to be a nice round number. (iPhone 7 256 large screen is $956)

Wonder how many crew this will eventually replace?

That's at the extreme end you can get a very serviceable tablet for less than $200

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So basically the smartphone side of this is a bonus for those who choose to avail themselves of it, while others can just do things the old fashioned way, with a crew member with a handheld.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

So basically the smartphone side of this is a bonus for those who choose to avail themselves of it, while others can just do things the old fashioned way, with a crew member with a handheld.

The first half of your statement is true (about people with devices who want to avail themselves of the new technology).

The second half is not exactly true. It is true that people who don't want the "do it yourself" freedom that comes with their own handheld devices can call upon crew members with tablets to assist, it isn't really true that they would be doing things the "old fashioned way". The "old fashioned way" has never entailed digital technology with crew members and tablets. That system, in and of itself, is new. It would be more accurate to say:

"So basically the smartphone side of this is a bonus for those who choose to avail themselves of it, while others can work through a crew member with a handheld."

Why would you buy an iPhone at that price, when you can get an Android phone for $300 or less?

Surely you jest!!:D:o

The second half is not exactly true... The "old fashioned way" has never entailed digital technology with crew members and tablets.
That seems like a distinction without a difference. Why should anyone care how the service worker serves them? Did we worry whether our waiter wore cotton or polyester? Whether our order was taken with pen or pencil?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Actually, it does answer the question. If you click on the link that I provided, you will find the answer. (Hint: It starts with "Wi" and ends with "Fi".

Rarely click on links ;)

What about the crew? Does this new technology mean there will be less crew? Bar waiters seem to be getting less tips now since we no longer receive receipts to sign.

Have already seen how technology has changed the work landscape. Something that used to take up to 15 people now takes two. All those who would be file clerks, mail room clerks, typists are now working the counter at McDonald's. (A bit of an exaggeration but not by much.)

That seems like a distinction without a difference.

There is actually a big difference. Under the old fashioned way, could a crew member walking around the Plaza Deck walk over to your table in the Piazza and make a dinner reservation for you, or would you have to use a house phone or the phone in your room? Under the old fashioned way, could a crew member who you pass outside of the Fiesta Deck shops make a spa reservation for you, or would you have to go up to the spa to do that? Could your cabin attendant make you a hair appointment in the salon? The crew members with tablets will be able to do all sorts of things for you without you lifting a finger that crew members currently cannot do. This is very much different than cotton or polyester.

There is actually a big difference. Under the old fashioned way, could a crew member walking around the Plaza Deck walk over to your table in the Piazza and make a dinner reservation for you, or would you have to use a house phone or the phone in your room? Under the old fashioned way, could a crew member who you pass outside of the Fiesta Deck shops make a spa reservation for you, or would you have to go up to the spa to do that? Could your cabin attendant make you a hair appointment in the salon? The crew members with tablets will be able to do all sorts of things for you without you lifting a finger that crew members currently cannot do. This is very much different than cotton or polyester.
So what you're saying is that they can now do for you what they used to do for you AND they can also do more for you. Okay I see your point there, though for the person who just wants what they've always gotten, they can still get that.

I sincerely doubt that the concept of random crew members helping you with their tablets will actually occur.

Cabin attendants, restaurant waitstaff, etc. are much too busy with their regular job to also do the task of adding time to their work day to assist passengers in areas outside of the staff's training.

Will that cabin steward who does not have English as a first language really be able to communicate effectively about making appoints at the spa or to get a haircut?

Will the wait staff in the Horizon Court really be able to help you understand the details of and book that shore excursion?

etc.

1. You find your dining assignment on the "compass" side of the new technology. The "medallion" is just a transmitter. The real heart of this new engine is the "compass". That is where you will find your itinerary, your excursion reservations, your dining reservations and dining assignments, your spa reservations, etc. Think of the compass as your "TripIt" for all ship and port activities and reservations. It will store all of your cruise information in one place.

A passenger should be able to find out that information without having to locate a working digital device, sign in, and figure out how to navigate to the answers.

It is important to remember that cruises have increased in price significantly slower than the rate of inflation over the last thirty years. At the same time, the competition for investors' dollars, the expectations of investors, and the extent to which investors' demands for returns have priority in society have increased as well. The only solutions to that equation all involve new efficiencies. Passengers who want those old inefficiencies have to be prepared to pay a lot for them, i.e., choose a much higher grade cruise line rather than sticking with the same one as in the past.

A passenger should be able to find out that information without having to locate a working digital device, sign in, and figure out how to navigate to the answers.

Exactly!

Which is cheaper, more efficient and quicker?

A piece of paper (Patter) with all of the information on in my pocket, cost to print minimal - or - some electronic gadget with all of the associated costly infra-structure?

I can look at my Patter in a second; at any location and in any light and it does not need a charged battery.

This is tech for tech's sake and is being driven by the marketing wonks - the only payback in financial terms that I can see is to reduce staff (so less people to bring your froo-froo drink to your lounger).