Medallions to replace cruise cards?

BarbinMich

I would like to see the terms and conditions Princess has on this. They are collecting data on you; they can sell that data if they wish to a third party for PROFIT and that's what troubles me. :mad:

I do not like this kind of information collecting on anything we do or purchase which is why we do not have any of those "must have" points cards that are constantly pushed at every store we enter. That being said, I'm not na?ve; I know that if I do a search on Google, suddenly adds for whatever I was searching for magically appear everywhere. You buy a book on Amazon and they oh-so-helpfully show you what other people who have bought the same book buy next.

However, having read others comments, I do believe that I am in the minority on this.

Ok, rant over.

The CES video also shows people simply walking on to the ship. Right now, they use a barcode reader to check you in. In the future, a near field reader can do the same thing without you even stopping. Just walk past the reader and it records your entry onto the ship, or departure off of it. As long as you still get your photo taken at embarkation, the photo would pop up on a security screen as soon as the near field reader records your presence, and a security official will check your photo against your current appearance, same as they do now.

I do not see this as being just walk past the security person.

It takes some time (hopefully only a second or two) for the photo to come up to be checked. Until the security person is shown that you are who the medallion says, I think you will not be able to continue walking. After all, if someone's medallion is not read, the line can't move forward at all.

I do not see this as being just walk past the security person.

It takes some time (hopefully only a second or two) for the photo to come up to be checked. Until the security person is shown that you are who the medallion says, I think you will not be able to continue walking. After all, if someone's medallion is not read, the line can't move forward at all.

Look at 21:08 of the CES presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7xJeHrvkM&t=1277s

No stopping. No waiting. There is no reason why a near field reader would need a second or two for a photo to appear.

Just watched the "you tube" video. Something caught my attention. When they were talking about your wine order being at the theater when you got there the video also said " enjoying your guaranteed seating". Are reservations coming to the theater???

Brought that same item up earlier and some here seemed to think that was not going to happen. Just think of the problems if someone goes to make a reservation and they are told there are no seats available or you go to the theatre and are denied entrance as it is full. We might have the longest thread on here since the butter fiasco.

Brought that same item up earlier and some here seemed to think that was not going to happen. Just think of the problems if someone goes to make a reservation and they are told there are no seats available or you go to the theatre and are denied entrance as it is full. We might have the longest thread on here since the butter fiasco.

Ok, I'll bite. What is the "butter fiasco?"

Oh it's all about wearing nothing but butter on formal night in MDR while hogging lounge chairs by the pool and waving your black card yelling about how important you are.

Really, you don't want to go there.

am on who thinks the "guaranteed seating" thing merely means you don't have to go to a bar, get a drink, and then try to find a seat but means, instead, that you can go get your seat and your pre-ordered drink will find you there. I have no concrete evidence but I believe the mixup is merely the result of poorly thought out (Is there any other kind???) "marketing speak".

Ah yes, the CES presentation. That's marketing. Then, there's reality ...

The "reality" is an updated, upgraded version of Magic Bands. If you've used the Fast Pass feature of that technology, you know how fast it processes people. This will be even faster as they have eliminated the "tap in" requirement.

The "reality" is an updated, upgraded version of Magic Bands. If you've used the Fast Pass feature of that technology, you know how fast it processes people. This will be even faster as they have eliminated the "tap in" requirement.

Does the Fast Pass feature require security to verify the photo associated with the Fast Pass and stop anyone whose photo does not match?

Look at 21:08 of the CES presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7xJeHrvkM&t=1277s

No stopping. No waiting. There is no reason why a near field reader would need a second or two for a photo to appear.

True, but the human verifying that the person with the Medallion matches the photo in the system does take time.

If the purpose is just to record Medallions that pass the reader, then many people can walk past the reader quickly. But if the purpose to is verify who is allowed entry to the ship and stop anyone who is not permitted entry, then the security person must be able to tell which person's photo does not match what is in the system and also be able to tell which person walking past may not even have a Medallion.

In any case, as far as returning to the ship from being ashore, I have never experienced a slowdown due to the scanning of a cruise card. The slowdown is as people prepare to put their belongings on the conveyor belt to the X-ray machine. Having Medallions as you enter the ship will not in any way speed up the re-entry process.

The slowdown is as people prepare to put their belongings on the conveyor belt to the X-ray machine. Having Medallions as you enter the ship will not in any way speed up the re-entry process.

Also slowed down by people who have their cruise card at the bottom of some beach bag,

but they're not sure which one, and never thought to look for it before arriving at security...

Does anyone know if this can be worn by a person who has a pacemaker?

People with a pacemaker cannot even go thru the security screening device so I would not feel comfortable using this device. I also would be concerned being with/near a device like this.

I will have to contact Princess regarding the tech used on these and then check with my Cardiologist.

Does anyone know if this can be worn by a person who has a pacemaker?

People with a pacemaker cannot even go thru the security screening device so I would not feel comfortable using this device. I also would be concerned being with/near a device like this.

I will have to contact Princess regarding the tech used on these and then check with my Cardiologist.

You should certainly ask, but I'd be very surprised if it would be a problem. RFID is the same technology that's used in car keys and a lot of store inventory control, and I haven't heard any warnings about pacemaker wearers having to stay away from those.

The medallion system uses a combination of two different types of technology - neither of which pose a problem for people with a pacemaker.

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

Near Field Communication (NFC)

TG, I'll try to give you a quick answer to your question.

A few months ago here on Cruise Critic there was a big dustup regarding the "rationing" of butter in the dining rooms. I never dine in the dining rooms. So, I cannot report whether this was real or perceived. However, many felt that they had been wronged, and this was another indication of the impending fall of, at least, Princess if not all of Western Civilization.

TG, I'll try to give you a quick answer to your question.

A few months ago here on Cruise Critic Princess Board there was a big dustup regarding the "rationing" of butter in the dining rooms. I never dine in the dining rooms. So, I cannot report whether this was real or perceived. However, many felt that they had been wronged, and this was another indication of the impending fall of, at least, Princess if not all of Western Civilization.

You should certainly ask, but I'd be very surprised if it would be a problem. RFID is the same technology that's used in car keys and a lot of store inventory control, and I haven't heard any warnings about pacemaker wearers having to stay away from those.

What are the medallions made of? If they are base metal there could be an allergy problem. For example some Fitbits have a base metal back on them, and many, including me, cannot wear them. I hope Princess has taken this into account.

What are the medallions made of? If they are base metal there could be an allergy problem. For example some Fitbits have a base metal back on them, and many, including me, cannot wear them. I hope Princess has taken this into account.

You can put them in your pocket. They don't have to be worn against your skin.

Given that various scanning devices will need to communicate with them, I'd predict that they almost certainly be plastic, as metal would block the signal and would probably be more expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Given that various scanning devices will need to communicate with them, I'd predict that they almost certainly be plastic, as metal would block the signal and would probably be more expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Plus metal would be heavy, which would be an irritant to many.

March 18, 2018. 14 day Circle Caribbean. That's the first cruise where Caribbean Princess will be using the medallions. We're booked on that cruise and looking forward to the new tech. I just wish it was going to be in place on Emerald Princess when we sail in October but so far it's only been announced for Regal, Royal, and Caribbean Princess. Eventually it's supposed to spread throughout the entire Princess fleet and then to the other lines owned by Carnival Corporation. Obviously that will take quite some time to accomplish.

We're on the same cruise and are looking forward to trying out the new medallions.

And by the way, STOP comparing them to Disney "Magic Bands". If they do half of what Princess is saying, they will do FAR more than the Disney bands (that we used last year)!