Medallions to replace cruise cards?

BarbinMich

From watching the hour long CES presentation, I came away with the exact opposite impression. What you are describing is "big data" to be used to improve future cruises whereas the presentation made clear that the primary use was not to collect big data for the future but to collect real-time "guest centric" data to be used immediately for each individual guest. So they want to know where you are so that they can try to merge your preferences with the ship's offerings. One example that they showed was (believe it or not), portable gambling. If your profile reveals that you are a big time blackjack player, but you are out by the pool, they can find you, send a blackjack dealer and a portable table to your location, and ask you if you want to play a few hands. I am not making that up. If your profile reveals that you like massages and they detect that you are hanging out in the Piazza at a time when the spa is being underutilized, they can send a spa representative down to you and ask you if you would like a massage with no line and no waiting, maybe at a discount. So they definitely envision the highest use of the medallion to be real time, guest by guest location information married with personal preferences. Definitely a Big Brother aspect to this, but supposedly in a way that helps us. If that bothers anyone, they may be creeped out by this.

I see it now.."Keith, There's less than 500 "Blue Hairs" at the buffet. Now's your chance! Go for it!!"

I do not see where it says that in the "Captain's Circle" article.

Can you tell me where it does say you can stick with the cruise card?

I over guessed on that one. I believe you can only put it in "safety" mode.

Not to sidetrack, but what the hey? I thought the IC was in an open public area (at least on all the ships I've looked at). Since when is there a time limit in any such place?

That certainly sounds strange. It's like being at the "All you can eat Buffet": "You been here 4 hour already! You go home now!" (my partner is Chinese. His hand is coming at me really fast now, I'd better duck.)

Yeah, I might have jumped the gun on that one. You're most likely right. You can opt out, but have to keep the safety mode on. Still, it really won't bother me, except....I DON"T want to be notified of annoying art sales/side walk sales/shore side shopping sales/spa specials, etc. Somehow, I think we probably will be.

Safety mode is supposed to disable all other interactions. It will allow opening of your door and location by crew if needed but shouldn't incur any other intrusions (at least not more than are currently endured). Whether it will still allow purchasing (it is almost certain that it will do so as Princess still wants your money) has not been disclosed.

It also stated in the video that ypu will be able to reserve specific seats at the shows in the theater. Talk about creating a problem. This is trouble waiting to happen.

On the one hand....YES.

On the other hand...I think other cruise lines already do this without the sky falling. So we'll see.

It also stated in the video that ypu will be able to reserve specific seats at the shows in the theater. Talk about creating a problem. This is trouble waiting to happen.

I think that it was just poorly stated. When it said you could "have your drink delivered while enjoying guaranteed seating" I believe it just meant you could get your seat and not have to fart around getting a drink first (thus having a harder time getting seating). I really haven't seen anything at all other than this poorly worded bit of promo that says you can reserve seating.

Often the people in "marketing" take liberties with the way they describe things in order to make them sound more snazzy than they really are. "Marketing-speak" often bears little relationship to reality.

I think that it was just poorly stated. When it said you could "have your drink delivered while enjoying guaranteed seating" I believe it just meant you could get your seat and not have to fart around getting a drink first (thus having a harder time getting seating). I really haven't seen anything at all other than this poorly worded bit of promo that says you can reserve seating.

Often the people in "marketing" take liberties with the way they describe things in order to make them sound more snazzy than they really are. "Marketing-speak" often bears little relationship to reality.

Hi Thrak,

There will be NO need for a Ocean Medallion!!! If you starting farting around you will be able to sit anywhere in the theater. Sorry I could not help my self :) :).

Tony

That just says you can do it BUT not how do you do it. Refer to other parts of my posting on getting the true facts.

The how is with an interactive digital device. This can be your own cell phone, tablet, computer, etc. or can be one of the many interactive screens around the ship and possibly using your cabin TV. Also setting it up initially from home with your digital device there.

On the one hand....YES.

On the other hand...I think other cruise lines already do this (reserve specific seats at the shows in the theater) without the sky falling. So we'll see.

I know of no cruise line that does this.

Some, like RCCL, allow you to reserve a show time, but you must still line up before the show if you want to get a "good" seat.

Also, some do have a special section for very high loyalty program status or those in full suites, but in general it is a special section (and not maybe where you would like to be), not individual seats anywhere in the showroom.

Again you think but what if you are wrong. If my memory serves me it also stated you could reserve your seat in the theatre. So you admit it is a poorly written promo. I agree as it leaves many questions unanswered.

I know of no cruise line that does this.

Some, like RCCL, allow you to reserve a show time, but you must still line up before the show if you want to get a "good" seat.

That is how I interpreted what they meant. My post was poorly worded. I was referring to specific seating at a particular show, but it came out as specific individual seat. While the latter could be done, it would require too much renovation of the theaters.

Safety mode is supposed to disable all other interactions. It will allow opening of your door and location by crew if needed but shouldn't incur any other intrusions (at least not more than are currently endured). Whether it will still allow purchasing (it is almost certain that it will do so as Princess still wants your money) has not been disclosed.

The state where I live (like most ... all?) has a prepaid road toll system. You put some money in

an account, and stick an RFID dongle in your windshield. Every time you drive 300 feet, the

state pings your dongle, and charges you a random amount. (to which they now graciously add sales tax).

The dongle came with an RF shielding bag -- you can put your dongle in the bag, so it can't be pinged,

and pay the toll with cash.

For those who are concerned, just put your medallion in an RF shielding bag, and carry on.

https://www.amazon.com/Blocking-Anti-tracking-Anti-spying-Privacy-Protection/dp/B01MRV6PNJ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488040129&sr=8-9&keywords=rf+shield+bag

Maybe all y'all could make some with a cruise critic logo on them.

What gave you away? The pillow and blanket?

No, the deck of playing cards. They said it wasn't a card room. And indeed it isn't as there isn't one anywhere on the ship.

We were just filling in time waiting for friends to show up.

With this new system, once your time limit has been reached, the medallion can interact with the chairs to send a mild electric shock to your fanny. And every two minutes thereafter, the shock level will increase.

But what if you are a man? That f word is a bit rude for Commonwealth English speakers you know. And it applies only to ladies.

For example the following about the Majestic Princess:

There’s also a Bellagio-style fountain that displays stunning water and light shows.

A new over-the-ocean glass floor walkway extends 28 feet beyond the ship’s edge to give you straight-down views from 12 stories above the ocean.

But what if you are a man? That f word is a bit rude for Commonwealth English speakers you know. And it applies only to ladies.

I tend to agree that the word in question needs to be "not used" as it definitely has different meanings in different places. A shock to the bum or even to the butt works fine. I believe the other word is actually being used as a more "delicate" word than butt or whatever but it ends up being much more offensive to many.

The old "Two nations separated by a common language" thing.

The last year before I retired we had a woman at work who grew up here in the US but had spent the latter part of her life in England. She was surprised when people at work didn't understand some of the terms she used (bin, trolley, etc.) and equally surprised to find that I knew what she was talking about. I tend to find the different usages in the English language somewhat fascinating. :)

However, I must admit that I wasn't conversant with the phrase "page 3 girl" until she explained it to me and showed me online examples. ;)

From watching the hour long CES presentation, I came away with the exact opposite impression. What you are describing is "big data" to be used to improve future cruises whereas the presentation made clear that the primary use was not to collect big data for the future but to collect real-time "guest centric" data to be used immediately for each individual guest. So they want to know where you are so that they can try to merge your preferences with the ship's offerings. One example that they showed was (believe it or not), portable gambling. If your profile reveals that you are a big time blackjack player, but you are out by the pool, they can find you, send a blackjack dealer and a portable table to your location, and ask you if you want to play a few hands. I am not making that up. If your profile reveals that you like massages and they detect that you are hanging out in the Piazza at a time when the spa is being underutilized, they can send a spa representative down to you and ask you if you would like a massage with no line and no waiting, maybe at a discount. So they definitely envision the highest use of the medallion to be real time, guest by guest location information married with personal preferences. Definitely a Big Brother aspect to this, but supposedly in a way that helps us. If that bothers anyone, they may be creeped out by this.

The most obvious use of the technology is to track your drinking. The medallion will "know" for example that when on the sun deck you drink and average time between your drink orders. It can then track when you are "due" another drink and "ding" a waiter to check if you want another round. Medallion will even tell waiter where you are.

Great I guess if you want another drink, but bad too in the sense that it's a little insidious.

I tend to agree that the word in question needs to be "not used" as it definitely has different meanings in different places.

Not going to happen. As long as companies continue to market fanny packs to tourists (including cruisers), you are never going to convince me that fanny is a word that should not be used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G49WYDG/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A2Y4EYR47EZP7R

Not going to happen. As long as companies continue to market fanny packs to tourists (including cruisers), you are never going to convince me that fanny is a word that should not be used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G49WYDG/ref=abs_brd_tag_dp?smid=A2Y4EYR47EZP7R

Aaah you mean a bumbag!

if you are sailing on Princess you are sailing on a British ship, so leave fannys alone unless you want trouble.