WHY (in your opinion) does Carnival seem to have a low rank among many 'cruise snobs'

SmoothFlying

Yes, the Vista is about bells and whistles. With a price tag to match. And while you say there is no comparison between the Conquest class and the Oasis class, there is also no comparison when it comes to price. I'm paying more than double for a cabin on the Oasis in a few weeks than I would on a Conquest class in the same time frame, even though the Oasis is something like 10 years old now. To me, the Conquest class has everything I want so paying double for the bells and whistles really isn't worth it to me. I'd rather do 14 days on a Conquest class than 7 days on an Oasis class. But if someone wants the bells and whistles and don't mind paying for it, they should absolutely do it.

Just to clarify, the Oasis started cruising in December of 2009, That makes it just barely 7 years old. Carnival Conquest on the other hand is closer to 15 years old. We were just on the Oasis this past year, it was not much more than our upcoming Carnival cruise.

Millions of people shop at Walmart. Millions of people are idiots. So what does that prove?
In and of itself it proves nothing other than Walmart (and Carnival) are crazy successful and I'm a happy camper as a Carnival stockholder. :p

I'd rather be considered Walmart of the Seas than Sears of the Seas when it comes to attracting business. :')

Of course, in your own words you've never even stepped onto a Carnival ship so in reality, you simply have no idea how good a Carnival cruise can be.

In and of itself it proves nothing other than Walmart (and Carnival)

Of course, in your own words you've never even stepped onto a Carnival ship so in reality, you simply have no idea how good a Carnival cruise can be.

It's a cruise ship, how good could it possibly be?

Just to clarify, the Oasis started cruising in December of 2009, That makes it just barely 7 years old. Carnival Conquest on the other hand is closer to 15 years old. We were just on the Oasis this past year, it was not much more than our upcoming Carnival cruise.

That's the key, compare prices from different years and probably different times in the year to make evaluations. Good strategy. :rolleyes:

Now, to give an actual, VALID, comparison, according to VTG, a 7 night cruise on the Oasis for an INSIDE cabin is $1,253. a 6 night cruise on the Conquest for a BALCONY is $799. So you think $454 more PER PERSON for an inside over a balcony and 1 extra day is a good deal? RCCL must be loving your logic.

And while the Conquest (which actually I haven't had the chance to sail yet though the Glory, Liberty, and Valor were awesome) may be 15 years old, at the cost of my upcoming Oasis cruise, I'd pick the Conquest, hands down, no questions asked and save a bundle.

It's a cruise ship, how good could it possibly be?

If it's "just a cruise", why do you even cruise??

A cruise can be fantastic (most of my Carnival cruises), pretty good (most of my RCCL cruises), or downright crappy (most of my NCL cruises). Pay more while getting less. Mama didn't raise me to be a fool.

This topic is one of my favorites lol

I've been sailing Carnival since I was a kid, so I've seen it go through many changes. One of the posts on the first page hit the nail on the head but seemed to get lost in the sauce. A lot of the reputation Carnival has, even though some feel they're trying to get away from it, is brought on completely by themselves. BRANDING is EVERYTHING.

The names, Carnival as opposed to Royal Caribbean. One gives an air of regality while the other gives nostalgic fun in the form of old rides and fried food on a stick. Just look to how they label their loyalty programs. Crown and Anchor Society Member vs Very Important Fun Person. And there are SO many more examples of this. While some like to push the "they're more alike than different" agenda, they market themselves on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. That's a battle that's won or lost before one even sets foot on the ship. Carnival is super proud to be the lowest cost cruise line and whether you want to believe it or not, that's going to attract a certain type of customer. When people ask me what cruise line I'm sailing with, if I'm sailing with Carnival, I find myself lying about it. Either saying "I don't remember" or just saying another cruise line entirely. That's because I don't want to deal with the comments about it, and furthermore I've found Carnival VERY hard to defend as of late.

After my cruise on the Sunshine last summer I swore off Carnival forever and made sure they heard about. I happened to get a free cruise on that cruise so I sailed the Magic last month. It was better and it reminded me a little about why I fell in love with Carnival in the first place, but I don't know if its enough anymore.

What I've learned in all of my years of cruising is there is no single perfect cruise line. There are things I love and hate about all. If I could build my perfect mass market cruise line it would have Carnival's Lido deck stations + the BBQ, Royal's ships and entertainment, and NCL's extra fee dining options along with their 24 hour diner style restaurant.

If I thought for even one second that Royal was so much greater than Carnival as the OP is trying to lead you to believe, no way would you see a Carnival ship in my countdown ticker.

Excuse me? As the OP my thread said nothing about Royal! I was simply asking for impressions and giving my observations of shorter v. longer cruises. I personally have not cruised anything BUT Carnival. We have been very pleased w/ all of our long cruises, but seriously disappointed in both of the shorter ones, as a result of the tackiness of the majority of the guests.

I do not see a big difference between Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I won't pay more just for branding. I have not tried other higher end lines yet, just because I'm happy with what I have experienced so far. I really can't think of what more is there for me to pay extra for? Except for Disney

You were "taken aback" because most everyone was white?? :confused:

Maybe "taken aback" was the wrong word but it was something very noticeable . I had even mentioned it to our group.

I too always wondered why some people had this opinion of Carnival and that's what stood out to me as maybe the reason.

I was taken back when I sailed the Allure last year as it had to be 99.5% Caucasian. No flames please , it's just what noticed.

If there's one thing that caught my attention about our sailing on the Allure was how diverse our fellow cruisers were. Not only different races, but also different nationalities. The Cruise Compass being offered in 7 languages was a clear indication of how varied our cruise was. We met people from all over the world, from Germany to Japan, From Brazil to India, from Italy to Canada and more. Walking down the Royal Promenade was a sensory feast with various languages, races, cultures, and fashions, all in unison.

That was one of the biggest differences that I noticed between the Allure and all of my previous Carnival cruises, where majority of cruisers are normally from the US and demographics are dominated by 2-3 ethnicities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One word, Diversity.

I was taken back when I sailed the Allure last year as it had to be 99.5% Caucasian.

And if those same other 5000+ people with you on the week you were aboard booked the Allure every single week, it will remain that way.

OR... there's a chance that other weeks, different people would be aboard and the ship would have a more diverse group.

If there's one thing that caught my attention about our sailing on the Allure was how diverse our fellow cruisers were. Not only different races, but also different nationalities. The Cruise Compass being offered in 7 languages was a clear indication of how varied our cruise was. We met people from all over the world, from Germany to Japan, From Brazil to India, from Italy to Canada and more. Walking down the Royal Promenade was a sensory feast with various languages, races, cultures, and fashions, all in unison. That was one of the biggest differences that I noticed between the Allure and all of my previous Carnival cruises, where majority of cruisers are normally from the US and demographics are dominated by 2-3 ethnicities.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had this same experience. My Royal cruises have been extremely diverse and honestly, so have my Carnival cruises. But my only experience with a majority Caucasian cruise has been on the Magic this past January.

So....

And if those same other 5000+ people with you on the week you were aboard booked the Allure every single week, it will remain that way.OR... there's a chance that other weeks, different people would be aboard and the ship would have a more diverse group.

I'm only basing it on my one week cruise, I have no idea what it's like the rest of the time .

The OP was asking what people thought the reason was and I wondered if this was a reason.

It will be interesting since I'm back on Carnival after an almost 10 year hiatus. The last cruise with Carnival there was too much drinking, there was rap music blasting foul language (and tons of little kids in proximity) and way too many rude people hogging chairs and kids running in the hallway at all hours of the night. I recall I missed having a wine steward or sommelier at dinner. I'm going hopefully at a low kid time and I'm hoping the music and alcohol is a tad lower now that smuggling is a no-go for those that used to smuggle, but it is the least expensive cruise line and the itinerary I wanted so in some regard some of that comes along with the pricing and you just have to go with the flow.

Hello,

Ok Im not a world cruiser. I have been on Carnival (Fantasy) when it first came out to the Bahamas, and two RCCL CA coast and Mexico. I am also ex military, so nothing is worse than MRE's . So to me Im not loyal to one company. I go to the cruise company I can afford , dollar wise , value and dates of sailing ( I only have one week a year to take a vacation). I loved the service on the carnival MDR. Where else does someone fill your drink when you are not looking? I never get that in my hometown. My point is I found the service, cabins etc. I'm a very very light drinker, don't gamble and the last time I cruised back in 1993 they did not have specialty dinning. So , I can't comment on those benefits. But, hate to be nickel and dimed . I like to pay all things off before the vacation , including my personal bills. I don't want to worry about anything when I go.

I am going on a Princess cruise this summer to Alaska, and so far, ok. I do feel a little nickel and dimed with the drink packages, and special meal restraunts. My TA said I would like this cruise because of the sophistication of the line. I'm going with an open mind. People are people some have manners some don't , money has nothing to do with it. Back when I sailed in 1999 on the Carnival there was a lot of alcohol , but my take on it is just say no thank you and move on. I don't let it bug me. I have booked a Western Caribbean trip next year 2018 on Carnival. Found the down payment to be $50 per person on week I can go. The ship looked like fun with the water slides. For me its a vacation. I don't have to cook or go to work. So , for me I m looking forward to the trip and this summer. As far as food quality, It doesn't matter I will speak up and let the waiter know what is wrong and I am sure they can accommodate. Like I said nothing is bad as a MRE. I am taking my mom for company since she can be a lot of fun. So call me easy going, maybe, I am just pleased as punch to be out on the ocean and not have to do anything but relax. So who cares what others think . I am just grateful to be able to afford a cruise vacation.

It's very similar to people's preferences with cars. Some wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford, Chevy, or any other American car. They insist on paying triple the price for a high end luxury brand vehicle when there's some really really nice Fords and Chevy's with all the bells and whistles the other brands have but without the price tag. And it's the same with department stores and clothes. They've got to have that high end name brand stuff when there's comparable things at a fraction of the price elsewhere. Btw, I'm not a spendthrift and I do have some nice high end name brand things. But I always watch for sales and I'm balanced in this area. Some are not lol. 😊

Many of these cruisers that put down Carnival have never set foot on a Carnival ship and never will. They are convinced that the higher end luxury ships are much better because of the higher cost and it's being a luxury brand. This is not always true.

We've cruised on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival. We only do 7 day or longer cruises so maybe that makes a difference in your experience. I had heard the others were a cut above Carnival but I found that to be untrue. They were far more alike than I expected. We decided to just stick with Carnival and save the extra cash for drinks, the spa, and excursions. 🍹😉

I want to add my two cents to this board, I have not cruised as much as some of you but have done cruises on Costa, Carnival, Holland and Norwegian. All ships were beautiful except for Costa which was still okay. The only difference was the food. Now, this is just my opinion but Norwegian and Holland have way better food choices than Carnival. I did not care for the Carnival Magic food, by the end of the week I couldn't wait to get off the ship to get a decent meal. We are trying Royal next so we will see how they rate food wise...