WHY (in your opinion) does Carnival seem to have a low rank among many 'cruise snobs'

SmoothFlying

One final note. Carnival is not always cheapest. We have found last minute cruises on Princess and Celebrity cheaper than any seven day cruise we've taken on Carnival. Of course, being retired, we can occasionally take advantage of these "fill the ship" sales. We have transitioned to Princess and Celebrity at this time, but would book a Carnival cruise in a moment for the right price and itinerary. Right now we're looking at a Cuba cruise, but Carnival only offers it on the Paradise. (sigh) Not my favorite class of ship. We made a vow to only cruise newer ships.

Jim

We sailed on both Princess and Holland at lower prices than similar cruises aboard Carnival for the same date. On Princess, we booked a few weeks prior to sailing but on Holland, we booked almost a year in advance and ended with a free upgrade, onboard credit and kids sail free! [emoji3]

About Cuba, until they get the infrastructure to handle the newer and larger ships, we will probably be stuck with older ships. The only new ship that I've come across sailing to Cuba is from Viking Ocean Cruises but it comes with a hefty price, at least compared to the sailings offered by the big mainstream cruise lines

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't really see how you can compare a last minute "fill the ship" sale with a normal rate and say that Carnival isn't cheaper because their normal rate is more than Princess' last ditch effort to sell the last 5 rooms on a sailing.

If cruising to Cuba is successful for Carnival, they'll add more and/or different ships to the rotation.

That's probably the reason most of my early cruises have been on Carnival. But that doesn't preclude my snagging a cruise on another line when a good price drops into my in-basket. And sometimes you pay a little more for a different product. I can book a western Caribbean cruise on HAL for $50 more than on Carnival. When HAL offers me their private sale pricing, the pricing is the same. All the cruise lines play games with their pricing. I'm sure Carnival Corp has its price points for its lines right where it wants them. If someone THINKS HAL or Princess is a higher quality line and is willing to pay the differential, Carnival Corp still wins.

Lower prices equals lower class to many people - Walmart has the same reputation, even though they are the most popular and largest retailer in the world (by a huge margin), they are only for low class people because the stores are more utilitarian, they cater towards working class people, and they have low prices.

Carnival is the world's largest cruise line (by a huge margin), and they are considered for low class people because their ships are more utilitarian (in general), they cater towards working class people, and their prices are lower.

For most people that shop at Walmart, they know that they aren't buying "top of the line" merchandise, but in reality most everything that you buy at Walmart is "good enough". A Carnival cruise is the same way.

OR, is it just my imagination ? I realize everybody's welcome to their own opinions, but I've sailed most of the CCL ships (some twice) and done 4 RCL cruises. While I've never done a 'high end' luxury cruise line, Regent, Silver Sea, etc..) I have noticed here mostly, and heard other cruisers on a CCL ship's elevator make nothing but, if outright rude, and snide comments, about this or that CCL ship, the 'type' of passengers Carnival seems 'too attract' and for the life of me I wonder,' WHY are you here..? IF WE lowly mortals are not worthy of your presence ?? WHY aren't you off sailing on the cruiseship ,Mount so-and so? Not all of my cruises have been perfect, but after reading some of the terrible reviews of the high end cruises, I wonder could ANY of these so-called experienced people be pleased ? Just curious why uour thoughts are. Thanks, in advance..

Mac

It's the alcoholics trying to figure out how to not get cut off at 15 drinks a day...

Just like a lower price is not necessarily indicative of a better bargain, just a cheaper cruise.

Paying a lower price usually ensures you aren't paying for a lot of things you don't care about- like fresh cut flowers, china vs melamine, etc.:D. (And as pointed out it is possible to snag good deals with other lines that are in line with CCL.)

For most people that shop at Walmart, they know that they aren't buying "top of the line" merchandise, but in reality most everything that you buy at Walmart is "good enough". A Carnival cruise is the same way.

While I basically agree with your comments, what an interesting choice of analogy.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I basically agree with your comments, what an interesting choice of analogy.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How about a hamburger analogy? I was at a seminar at a Hilton Hotel and ate lunch in the restaurant. Burger and soda cost $18. A couple of months later I attended a seminar at a Holiday Inn and ate lunch in their restaurant. Burger and soda cost $12. Now, they were both pretty good burgers but the Hilton burger was not worth $6 more than the Holiday Inn burger, that $6 was tacked on because it was a Hilton Hotel burger. I don't shop based on brand name, so I was perfectly happy with the Holiday Inn burger.

This will be our first Carnival. We have caused the other major line Disney, RCCL and NCL. The one thing that makes me nervous is the quality of the food. We are use to some good food on the other lines. My husband tries to lose about 10 pound before we leave just so he can enjoy himself. Will we be disappointed?

This will be our first Carnival. We have caused the other major line Disney, RCCL and NCL. The one thing that makes me nervous is the quality of the food. We are use to some good food on the other lines. My husband tries to lose about 10 pound before we leave just so he can enjoy himself. Will we be disappointed?

We've always been very pleased w/ the food. I am a foodie and love to eat out & try new things. I think it's like any favorite restaurant, if u have one ... u can occasionally get a chef w/ a different flare or off night & the same dish is not as exceptional. It happens. But overall .... we've loved the food.

Paying a lower price usually ensures you aren't paying for a lot of things you don't care about- like fresh cut flowers, china vs melamine, etc.:D.

The ironic thing is that we paid less for that Holland America cruise (with those details that my mom cared about but I didn't) than for a Carnival cruise sailing that same week on a similar itinerary.

We've always been very pleased w/ the food. I am a foodie and love to eat out & try new things. I think it's like any favorite restaurant, if u have one ... u can occasionally get a chef w/ a different flare or off night & the same dish is not as exceptional. It happens. But overall .... we've loved the food.

What are the best places to eat on Magic?

The one thing that makes me nervous is the quality of the food. We are use to some good food on the other lines....

Will we be disappointed?

If by "good food" you mean what's offered on Royal and Norwegian, chances are that you'll be satisfied with what Carnival has to offer. All of these mass market cruise lines offer about the same level of quality (I've personally been less impressed with what Royal offers, even when comparing specialty restaurants, but still, it's not a huge difference). One place where you may notice a significant difference is on the buffet's layout and selection.

And to give credit where credit is due, I still haven't found a better specialty restaurant than the steakhouses on Carnival, not even on premium cruise lines that are considered a notch above the middle of the road Royal/Carnival/Norwegian lines.

If by "good food" you mean what's offered on Royal and Norwegian, chances are that you'll be satisfied with what Carnival has to offer. All of these mass market cruise lines offer about the same level of quality (I've personally been less impressed with what Royal offers, even when comparing specialty restaurants, but still, it's not a huge difference). One place where you may notice a significant difference is on the buffet's layout and selection.

And to give credit where credit is due, I still haven't found a better specialty restaurant than the steakhouses on Carnival, not even on premium cruise lines that are considered a notch above the middle of the road Royal/Carnival/Norwegian lines.

Thanks And no I have not always had a good meal on the other line but I never walked away disgusted.

The ironic thing is that we paid less for that Holland America cruise (with those details that my mom cared about but I didn't) than for a Carnival cruise sailing that same week on a similar itinerary.

Yes, it is possible to get a name brand at a generic price (that's one of the reasons that I check all of the cruise line rates when I'm booking a cruise, I don't just go to CCL), but typically you'll be paying the name brand price most of the time.

No

Sent from my iPhone

How about a hamburger analogy? I was at a seminar at a Hilton Hotel and ate lunch in the restaurant. Burger and soda cost $18. A couple of months later I attended a seminar at a Holiday Inn and ate lunch in their restaurant. Burger and soda cost $12. Now, they were both pretty good burgers but the Hilton burger was not worth $6 more than the Holiday Inn burger, that $6 was tacked on because it was a Hilton Hotel burger. I don't shop based on brand name, so I was perfectly happy with the Holiday Inn burger.

I get it

Sent from my iPhone

I've only cruised carnival and rccl multiple times over the past 6 years. I was rather disappointed in rccl dining compared to carnival. I thought the mdr was better on carnival plus I really enjoyed having instant access to grills out on the carnival lido deck which rccl does not offer.

I completely agree with this assessment. On our last CCL cruise they had just started the American Table concept and we were very impressed. Guy's burgers are the best at sea hands-down. We couldn't even eat the burger on the Oasis, looked and tasted boiled.

Out of all the cruise lines we have tried, we have been most disappointed with the overall food quality on Disney, by far the most expensive cruises we have bought. The specialty restaurant on the Magic was excellent (paid additional of course) but we found the food every where else was very average.

Enjoy your cruise!

I completely agree with this assessment. On our last CCL cruise they had just started the American Table concept and we were very impressed. Guy's burgers are the best at sea hands-down. We couldn't even eat the burger on the Oasis, looked and tasted boiled.

Out of all the cruise lines we have tried, we have been most disappointed with the overall food quality on Disney, by far the Most expensive cruises we have bought. The specialty restaurant on the Magic was excellent (paid additional of course) but we found the food every where else was very average.

Enjoy your cruise!

You thought Johnny Rockets tasted boiled or are you referring to Wipeout?

I thought Guys was OK, if not pretty good. But they just had trays of dying patties that they threw on a bun and handed over the counter. Nothing terribly special either. Carnivals pizza is awesome though the wait sucks, it worth it when not too busy. Best pizza Ive had at sea.

You thought Johnny Rockets tasted boiled or are you referring to Wipeout?

I thought Guys was OK, if not pretty good. But they just had trays of dying patties that they threw on a bun and handed over the counter. Nothing terribly special either. Carnivals pizza is awesome though the wait sucks, it worth it when not too busy. Best pizza Ive had at sea.

Sorry, I should have qualified that we found the burgers in the windjammer to be sub-par. We didn't end up going to Johnny Rocket's as we discovered the Cafe in the Central Park area and really enjoyed the food there for lunch so that became our go-to after Day 2.

Again though this is just my personal preference. Everyone is different and likes different things.

For example, my husband and I really enjoyed our meal in the steakhouse on the Glory and felt it was worth every single penny. Meanwhile, a few tables away, the woman sent three steaks back before finally leaving without eating, stating loudly that they had no clue how to cook a steak - so two very different opinions on the same meal.

I feel generally that the food quality is very similar across RCI, NCL, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. I personally wouldn't select one line over the other based on food or be overly concerned that I wouldn't be able to find something that I like. I think all the lines offer sufficient variety in different venues now that you can find something you like.

We must have gotten really lucky with Guy's or just been there early.... the three times during our Glory cruise that we went there we watched them grill our patties.

Sorry, I should have qualified that we found the burgers in the windjammer to be sub-par. We didn't end up going to Johnny Rocket's as we discovered the Cafe in the Central Park area and really enjoyed the food there for lunch so that became our go-to after Day 2.

Again though this is just my personal preference. Everyone is different and likes different things.

For example, my husband and I really enjoyed our meal in the steakhouse on the Glory and felt it was worth every single penny. Meanwhile, a few tables away, the woman sent three steaks back before finally leaving without eating, stating loudly that they had no clue how to cook a steak - so two very different opinions on the same meal.

I feel generally that the food quality is very similar across RCI, NCL, Carnival, Princess and Celebrity. I personally wouldn't select one line over the other based on food or be overly concerned that I wouldn't be able to find something that I like. I think all the lines offer sufficient variety in different venues now that you can find something you like.

We must have gotten really lucky with Guy's or just been there early.... the three times during our Glory cruise that we went there we watched them grill our patties.

Comparing Guys with a buffet burger isn't really fair! The roast beef sandwiches in park cafe are awesome, did you try one?

Blue Iguana ended up being me goto spot on Glory for breakfast. I enjoyed the options on Carnival. It's just a very, very different concept from Oasis.

We have been on many ships with Guys and have never sent them stacked. I think the

Poster was referring to windjammer which had them stacked and congealing when we were on Oasis. If so, that is not a fair comparison. Guys to J R's is closer but still clearly better burgers at Guys and free to boot.

Sent from my iPhone

Clearly in your opinion the only valid opinion is your opinion, so I really stopped caring what you think about anything.

No, I actually value the opinion of someone who is talking about something they have actually experienced and not just heard about. It is true though that their opinion, while valued, wouldn't sway me from trying something to see it for myself.

Not really worried what you care about so carry on.