WHY (in your opinion) does Carnival seem to have a low rank among many 'cruise snobs'

SmoothFlying

If Royal giving you all of those little things is worth $1000 more then Royal is the line for you (that was the price difference the last time I compared cruises on the two lines). Seriously, you act like an ex-spouse who just has to keep bad mouthing the other spouse in order to chase potential suitors away. Sometimes you just gotta let go.

Just for the record, all you just did was say that Carnival is more than half the cost of a RCCL cruise. Now if you can go on a Carnival cruise for such a low price, it is easy to guess, that the quality would be well below of the other cruise lines. However, that is not the case. Carnival really isn't that much cheaper, but yet, they offer a lower standard of service. This thread is a two sided thread, and I offered my opinion of why I now look down on Carnival, when I once sailed on her on a regular basis. When WalMart first came out, it was a much nicer store, and now look at it. I travel around the world, and look for best prices, but with companies that offer great services.

Come on now :confused: You cant even possibly say that with a straight face? Ive been a member here on CC for 9 years now. The majority of those 9 years have been on the RC board on a daily basis. If you dont think these topics arent as hot over there as they are here, Im seriously questioning how much time youve spent on the RC forum....

Let me make a clarification. Royal and Carnival aim at the same demographic on their US based cruises, so yes, you will see the same average cruiser onboard and the same hot topics here. However, the comparison that I made on my previous post was not between Carnival and Royal specifically, but between Carnival and cruise lines that are on a different tier (premium, luxury or ultra luxury); cruise lines that are genuinely more strict and upscale than Carnival (which Royal is not).

Browse premium and higher boards and you'll notice a significant decline in posts concerning ignoring dress code, smuggling booze, removing tips, hogging chairs, etc. That's what my previous post referred to.

Sorry to break the news to Royal Loyals, but their cruise line is as mainstream as Carnival is. They may have a more contemporary and tasteful decor, and some amenities may be a notch or two above Carnival, but they are definitely not in the luxury segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

.: I have been trying to get a buddy first timer to go with me for a weekend cruise and after he did some searching he found fights on YouTube. So he said no Carnival. I can TRY to talk him out of that mindset, but, frankly, if that's what he thinks and I say no no no, that's all wrong, and something like that happens on our cruise I just made him waste his money. Could get riff raff on any line, but less likely as the cost goes up on other lines. Too bad because Carnival usually is good value, nice sized rooms, very good food, plenty of late night activities
Trash sails on ALL cruise lines. Not saying YOU are but to put this squarely on Carnival is absurd. The only fights Ive seen on cruises have been on RC ships

Q7e0zrAV9Nk

QyhCcU_2WRg

Browse premium and higher boards and you'll notice a significant decline in posts concerning ignoring dress code, smuggling booze, removing tips, hogging chairs, etc. That's what my previous post referred to.

Thanks for the clarification :) That I will certainly agree with you on!

Tapi, I never got plastic from room service.]

I guess it's not plastic, but whatever that shatterproof material is that Carnival uses on their buffet and room service plates.

For some reason, getting room service delivered in real china and not that material is important to my 75 year old mother, but if she hadn't mentioned it, I would've never noticed. [emoji6]

Just for the record, all you just did was say that Carnival is more than half the cost of a RCCL cruise. Now if you can go on a Carnival cruise for such a low price, it is easy to guess, that the quality would be well below of the other cruise lines. However, that is not the case. Carnival really isn't that much cheaper, but yet, they offer a lower standard of service. This thread is a two sided thread, and I offered my opinion of why I now look down on Carnival, when I once sailed on her on a regular basis. When WalMart first came out, it was a much nicer store, and now look at it. I travel around the world, and look for best prices, but with companies that offer great services.

And yet many people say that the mainstream lines are much more similar than they are different. The service that I've received on Carnival has been more than acceptable, as has the quality of the food and the included amenities. I do look forward to sailing on Royal someday but something tells me that I'll find what others have found- it's more like the others than it is different.

I do look forward to sailing on Royal someday but something tells me that I'll find what others have found- it's more like the others than it is different.
If you want to pay 60 - 100% more in most cases for basically the same product, have at it :) Dont be fooled into thinking Royal Caribbean is all that and a bag of chips though. Yeah, their ships are really nice. Thats about where it ends for me though. Their included food sucks, there are less included food venues and their drinks are terribly expensive. Service on Magic was on par with or better than any Ive received on Royal. That is just my unclouded and unbiased opinion though. Some people wear cruise line blinders and wave cruise line pom poms. I am not one of those people. Im faithful and loyal only to my wallet. If I thought for even one second that Royal was so much greater than Carnival as the OP is trying to lead you to believe, no way would you see a Carnival ship in my countdown ticker. Edited by ryano

If you want to pay 60 - 100% more for basically the same product, have at it :) Dont be fooled into thinking Royal Caribbean is all that and a bag of chips though. Yeah, their ships are really nice. Thats about where it ends for me though. Their included food sucks, there are less included food venues and their drinks are terribly expensive. Service on Magic was on par with or better than any Ive received on Royal. That is just my unclouded and unbiased opinion though. Some people wear cruise line blinders and wave cruise line pom poms. I am not one of those people. Im faithful and loyal only to my wallet. If I thought for even one second that Royal was so much greater than Carnival as the OP is trying to lead you to believe, no way would you see a Carnival ship in my countdown ticker.

Well, I'd have to dispute that it costs that much more. I've never been on a Carnival cruise yet but I expect the food to be equally as poor as the food served on my previous cruises. As to service we'll see, the room attendant we had on the Oasis could have served the boat best by being left behind so it's hard to imagine it being as bad anywhere but then people rise to new heights all the time.

And yet many people say that the mainstream lines are much more similar than they are different. The service that I've received on Carnival has been more than acceptable, as has the quality of the food and the included amenities. I do look forward to sailing on Royal someday but something tells me that I'll find what others have found- it's more like the others than it is different.

Correct - there is no real difference in the standard of service between Royal and Carnival. Though on balance, I do prefer food on Carnival, its not by much and mainly due Carnival's Steakhouse being superior to any specialty restaurant on Royal. No doubt Royal offers more impressive ships and more niche drink selections...but service differences? Not so much.

If you want to pay 60 - 100% more in most cases for basically the same product, have at it :) Dont be fooled into thinking Royal Caribbean is all that and a bag of chips though. Yeah, their ships are really nice. Thats about where it ends for me though. Their included food sucks, there are less included food venues and their drinks are terribly expensive. Service on Magic was on par with or better than any Ive received on Royal. That is just my unclouded and unbiased opinion though. Some people wear cruise line blinders and wave cruise line pom poms. I am not one of those people. Im faithful and loyal only to my wallet. If I thought for even one second that Royal was so much greater than Carnival as the OP is trying to lead you to believe, no way would you see a Carnival ship in my countdown ticker.

I believe that I said up thread that I'll probably have to wait until retirement to try Royal because then I'll be able to take advantage of great deals offered inside final payment on longer cruises (or even shorter cruises). If I do find a sailing on Royal that is within a few hundred of a CCL sailing I might give it a whirl but I don't really expect much difference. I am loyal first and foremost to my wallet, so we will see.

Correct - there is no real difference in the standard of service between Royal and Carnival. Though on balance, I do prefer food on Carnival, its not by much and mainly due Carnival's Steakhouse being superior to any specialty restaurant on Royal. No doubt Royal offers more impressive ships and more niche drink selections...but service differences? Not so much.

Totally agree! Carnival steakhouse (at least on Magic) is what Chops use to be and could only dream of being now. Very very disappointed with my last two Chops experiences.

I think when people complain sometimes it's just to complain and that says more about them. We have cruised 3 different lines and had great experiences with all of them. We prefer the food on one line over the others but it isn't a deal breaker. On all our cruises there have been staff that has gone above and beyond to make it better. We tried Carnival because of price and itinerary. It was $500 less per person with ports we wanted. The statement that Carnival is the Walmart of cruise lines seems to be intended as an insult which confused me until I realized clearly Walmart USA is different than Walmart Canada. I also cruise with people I love to be with so that makes all the difference.

I just checked out of curiosity and RCCL is only 500 dollars more for our upcoming 7 night cruise, same itinerary with 3 people.
We check RCCL all the time and it often is the same or less than Carnival for a balcony cabin. Carnival has jacked up its suite prices so that they are comparable to Princess and RCCL but not upped the perks unless you consider a bottle of water a perk. I rarely book a suite on CCL now because all our perks come from being Diamond, but we book suites on RCCL and Princess and do enjoy the perks. Carnival could add lots of perks that wouldn't cost them a thing, like the breakfasts in the steakhouse and reserved seating in the theater and pool area. Or they could up the game and offer a free first night steakhouse dinner to suite guests like they do on Princess.

Carnival also needs to up the game when it comes to past guest rates. On RCCL I get $225 knocked off every balcony or above I book on a 7 night cruise because I am Diamond on RCCL. Half the time CCL does not have a Past Guest rate and it is higher than the ES rate when they do offer it.

Those of us who have been sailing with Carnival for 30 years or more watched it blossom and have now watched it tank with the cuts in staff and service, not to mention the fellow passengers who have no sense of what is appropriate behavior or dress in public.

not to mention the fellow passengers who have no sense of what is appropriate behavior or dress in public.

You mean like the TWO tables next to us on Freedom of the Seas that wore gym shorts and t shirts on both formal nights? Didnt bother me in the least but yet again, we have a loyal Royal coming over here telling us how trashy Carnival is. LOL! How bout the fights Ive witnessed on Royal?

Edited by ryano

Trash sails on ALL cruise lines. Not saying YOU are but to put this squarely on Carnival is absurd. The only fights Ive seen on cruises have been on RC shipsQ7e0zrAV9Nk

QyhCcU_2WRg

I think you need to re-read my posting. I'm talking about perception of others. Even to someone who has never been on a cruise Carnival has this image issue to deal with; fairly gained or not.

Good reputations take years of hard work and consistency to build. Bad reputations are quick to be applied and hard to shed.

Cracked me up!

Tapi, I never got plastic from room service. I do miss silly things like the sheers over the window in the balcony cabins, the nightly chocolate (after it went non mint). For a while the prime rib went to a sliver but seems to be back to a good slice. No lobster on shorter cruises is another loss. I miss the tablecloth and full set of utensils. Dumb having to ask for a spoon.

Still Carnival's product is good. HAL doesn't have an atrium, GS is in a dungeon looking area, couldn't get waited on in MDR. Run over by scooters and walkers. Very nice cabin, smaller but well appointed. Balcony much bigger. Food on Oosterdam was HORRIBLE.

Royal has beautiful ships and Mardi Gras parades. The captain drove his tiny motor scooter down the halls.

I hate going to Walmart but they do carry the US flag I replace frequently. No one there to help. Then there is this:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=picture+of+people+at+walmart&qpvt=picture+of+people+at+walmart&qpvt=picture+of+people+at+walmart&qpvt=picture+of+people+at+walmart&FORM=IGRE

Hilarious!!! Are these Halloween pictures?

If you want to pay 60 - 100% more in most cases for basically the same product, have at it :) Dont be fooled into thinking Royal Caribbean is all that and a bag of chips though. Yeah, their ships are really nice. Thats about where it ends for me though. Their included food sucks, there are less included food venues and their drinks are terribly expensive. Service on Magic was on par with or better than any Ive received on Royal. That is just my unclouded and unbiased opinion though. Some people wear cruise line blinders and wave cruise line pom poms. I am not one of those people. Im faithful and loyal only to my wallet. If I thought for even one second that Royal was so much greater than Carnival as the OP is trying to lead you to believe, no way would you see a Carnival ship in my countdown ticker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Trash sails on ALL cruise lines. Not saying YOU are but to put this squarely on Carnival is absurd. The only fights Ive seen on cruises have been on RC shipsQ7e0zrAV9Nk

QyhCcU_2WRg

Folks, I know this isn't 'NEWSWORTHY' to many, but fights can AND will happen on ANY cruise lines that sells either alcohol OR alcohol beverage packages, i.e.-'The ones where you HAVE too drink 20-30 drinks per person, per day, just to feel like you're breaking even'. I know somewhere, somehow, there has to be a solution, folks (and I use the term 'adults' here, though sometimes loosely) should have the right to drink. BUT nothing can change some mild, gentle souls into a fanatic, fighting manics quicker than too much alcohol in too little time. Maybe say, a limit of four drinks per hour ? Or is that unreasonable ? I've seen people act like nasty mouthed brutes after 3 or 4 drinks. :( What do you think ? I, most certainly, did NOT mean to cause any ill feelings OR bruised egos with my original thread about the Carnival vs other cruise lines (pro and con). I was simply stating what I had noticed through the years.

Mac

( P.S. I don't drink, at all. I quit totally 5 years ago but for those that want the drinks package, I say, GO for it. Just use COMMON sense.)

We've been on 11 cruises total on 5 different lines, including 3 on Carnival. I have to admit I started with the attitude that I would not go on that low class line Carnival. We went on our first Carnival cruise out of NY to Canada. My DW picked it, and she had a good time. Frankly, I could have had a much better time if I did not come in with an attitude and let little things bother me.Maybe I surprised myself when out second Carnival cruise was one picked by me. It was a Western Caribbean, and I basically picked it because of an excursion, the Bob Marley bus. And we both had a blast. (and the 3 trivial trophies I won are still on the mantle on our bedroom window.)

Our third Carnival cruise was last summer, Southern Caribbean on the Fascination. When I told our TA what we were looking at, he tried to talk us out of it saying we should look for a newer ship, but that's the cruise we took. And again we enjoyed it. Yes, there were fewer bells and whistles, but there were great ports. There were friendly people. I won 3 more trivia contests. My DW got to spend a lot of pool time. And we both got to dance.

Frankly some of our cruises on other lines have really been our favorites, but that is more about itinerary than cruise line. I would say my two favorites were both on Princess, a Baltic cruise for our 30th anniversary and a British Isles cruise on the very small and since sold Ocean Princess.

Bottom line, if you come in expecting to have a great cruise, there is a high probability you will. If you come in looking for things to go wrong, sure enough they will. And though I'm sure some cruise for the ship, for many of us ports are the most important thing, and whichever cruise line gets you where you want for the best price should be your choice. JMHO.

Oh,, and our first two cruises were on Royal, Western Mediterranean and Western Caribbean. Again we enjoyed them immensely, but I do not think I would want to go on the newer huge Royal ships. The largest ship we have been on was the NCL Epic, and frankly it was too large for me. But others may have different opinions about what is important to them. But we did enjoy the cruise as the entertainment was superb, and the Western Mediterranean has wonderful ports. On the whole though for our 2 NCL cruises (the other was Bermuda), I just found them to be less caring about details. But again your opinion may vary.

This was true back when the Fantasy class came out. At 185 sq ft, those standard staterooms were palatial compared to the 120 sq ft on Royal and other cruise lines.But these days, the other cruise lines have evened out the playing field and square footage difference isn't as dramatic. On balcony staterooms and above, many other cruise lines are actually more generously sized than Carnival. And once you get in the Suite category, Carnival severely lags behind, not only in square footage but also on amenities.

I disagree. NCL Epic inside cabin is about 128sf. My inside cabin on the Vista is still about 165sf.

Isn't the Vista all about bells and whistles? My issue is that they are putting so much into ships that aren't quite big enough. They need a big platform if they want to compete on that level. We did Glory last year and liked the ship a lot, especially for it's size. But there is no comparison between Conquest class and Oasis class, for us, we prefer the larger ship with a better flow/layout.

Yes, the Vista is about bells and whistles. With a price tag to match. And while you say there is no comparison between the Conquest class and the Oasis class, there is also no comparison when it comes to price. I'm paying more than double for a cabin on the Oasis in a few weeks than I would on a Conquest class in the same time frame, even though the Oasis is something like 10 years old now. To me, the Conquest class has everything I want so paying double for the bells and whistles really isn't worth it to me. I'd rather do 14 days on a Conquest class than 7 days on an Oasis class. But if someone wants the bells and whistles and don't mind paying for it, they should absolutely do it.