How come the price is so varied?

tttt28

I am going to book a C3 of a British isles cruise on celebrity silhouette in august. The price shown in the celebrity US website is $3099 (US) per person. the price shown in UK website is £1499 (GBP) per person. It is just a huge difference. is it normally like this? Or the U.K. Website is a fraud?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going to book a C3 of a British isles cruise on celebrity silhouette in august. The price shown in the celebrity US website is $3099 (US) per person. the price shown in UK website is £1499 (GBP) per person. It is just a huge difference. is it normally like this? Or the U.K. Website is a fraud?

What is the difference if you take into account the exchange rate?

Well, the US one has two perks and -300 per stateroom

The UK one has drink package..

Seems like U.K. has better deals...

We compare prices on an individual basis. Usually the US has better deals than the UK as far as Celebrity are concerned although the gap has narrowed in recent times.

Yet Oceania are often better value when booked in the UK compared to the US, sometimes the difference is considerable, so always check both.

I am a retired US TA. For the most part price differences have nothing to do with the TA but everything to do with the pricing differences between Celebrity North America and Celebrity UK. UK/EU is almost always more expensive. The same is true with other cruise lines. In Florida, UK "snow birds" often book with US agents to get the better deal BUT we cautioned them to use a US credit card. Don't know about now but a few years ago some cruise lines began refusing the US rates booked on European credit cards unless the client had a long term relationship with the agency.

The prices for the British Isles cruises are usually cheaper over here because they are not so popular in our market i.e. most pax living here possibly want to travel further afield rather than visit places they could get to easily by land, especially as they would have to fly/sail/drive to Amsterdam to collect the ship.

On the other hand, The UK is very popular for US tourists - supply and demand. You also find that this works the opposite over in the US where certain States can have special resident rates on sailings from their local ports etc.

IMHO, just remember, if you book over here, you have to be happy with your initial pricing/promo etc. - it's very unlikely that you'll be able to swap and change to different promotions, unless you book under a special offer promotion that states X will honour price drops up to a certain date only (and the deposits are non refundable too) ;).

I am a retired US TA. For the most part price differences have nothing to do with the TA but everything to do with the pricing differences between Celebrity North America and Celebrity UK. UK/EU is almost always more expensive. The same is true with other cruise lines. In Florida, UK "snow birds" often book with US agents to get the better deal BUT we cautioned them to use a US credit card. Don't know about now but a few years ago some cruise lines began refusing the US rates booked on European credit cards unless the client had a long term relationship with the agency.

You will still find that some cruise lines do not like Europeans booking in the US because of obtaining the cheaper pricing ;). I've never had a problem with booking X or Royal sailings with a US TA, including the weekly deals, now Princess is another matter - appears they would prefer me paying twice the amount over here than booking through the States - I wonder why :rolleyes:?

Celebrity / RCL is not a problem. If they ever change this we will stop sailing with them.

We took our first ever cruise with Holland America and booked through a US TA no problem. Two years later this line would only accept European bookings through a US TA if the passengers had sailed with them previously.

P&O appear to have identical prices all the tiime. Though we've never booked them.

Carnival will accept UK bookings through a US TA.

Princess will not accept UK bookings through a US TA.

If anyone can add to this list I'd be interested to know who else does and who does not etc.

We do however have a US bank account and own US rental properties so in theory we might be able to get around booking bans because I can't see how any cruise lines could check that this was not our residential address???

A British ex pat friend, a one time Holland America employee, tells me she knew of many Brits and other non American nationals who whilst on holiday in Florida were able to book last minute cruises through local travel agencies without any difficulty re proof of residency. Not sure how far ahead this could be though...