ms Nieuw Amsterdam Port Everglades Sail-Away February 26, 2017

Boytjie

I remember that on our first cruise there were too many cruise ships embarking that day for the number of berths at the port, so they tied the ships to each other, and to reach our ship we had to walk through the lobby of another cruise ship and out the "back door". These were four-deck river cruise ships... Could you imagine them doing something like that with today's ocean-going behemoths?

I remember that on our first cruise there were too many cruise ships embarking that day for the number of berths at the port, so they tied the ships to each other, and to reach our ship we had to walk through the lobby of another cruise ship and out the "back door". These were four-deck river cruise ships... Could you imagine them doing something like that with today's ocean-going behemoths?

I've seen them do that with river boats in Amsterdam. Naval ships do it quite frequently. On big cruise ships, it would be a security nightmare :eek:

I've seen them do that with river boats in Amsterdam. Naval ships do it quite frequently. On big cruise ships, it would be a security nightmare :eek:

As the southern most used port [embark/disembark - not many pax go on to the Black Sea] - Budapest also looks like that.

As the southern most used port [embark/disembark - not many pax go on to the Black Sea] - Budapest also looks like that.

A European river cruise (Amsterdam-Budapest) is most definitely on our bucket list. Friends of ours have done it and have nothing but positive comments. You've done it, eh?

A European river cruise (Amsterdam-Budapest) is most definitely on our bucket list. Friends of ours have done it and have nothing but positive comments. You've done it, eh?

Summer of 2015 on AMA Waterways. Just over two weeks long, 84 locks, port intensive and a certificate proclaiming I'd successfully crossed the European Continental Divide. :D

Of course the ship provides one free excursion everyday/port and usually within walking distance of town. I'd like to do it again someday and finish up at the Black Sea or the reverse..

Summer of 2015 on AMA Waterways. Just over two weeks long, 84 locks, port intensive and a certificate proclaiming I'd successfully crossed the European Continental Divide. :D

Of course the ship provides one free excursion everyday/port and usually within walking distance of town. I'd like to do it again someday and finish up at the Black Sea or the reverse..

Nice! :D I heard Uniworld is the hot tip

Nice! :D I heard Uniworld is the hot tip

All are nice, best deals are far out from the time of the voyage. Pick the date, the port, length/destination and find what is available. Compare, compare, compare.

Some have bicycles you can use from the ship, some don't. Not usually much entertainment and usually less than 200 pax - with the average being in the 120-140 range.

One sitting for dinner, and inclusive times for breakfast and lunch. Lately they've been offering a Chef's Table Dinner that you have to sign up for [once a week]..

All are nice, best deals are far out from the time of the voyage. Pick the date, the port, length/destination and find what is available. Compare, compare, compare.

Some have bicycles you can use from the ship, some don't. Not usually much entertainment and usually less than 200 pax - with the average being in the 120-140 range.

One sitting for dinner, and inclusive times for breakfast and lunch. Lately they've been offering a Chef's Table Dinner that you have to sign up for [once a week]..

Thanks for the tips; much obliged!