Euros

gjcocruiser

I have been getting notices from my banks that they no longer require notification, but I think I will try to do it anyway.

True! BofA still wants me to set a travel notice. But AMEX says not to bother. Though it's nice to not have to be bothered setting a travel notice, it makes me wonder...how do they know where I am? And is that an entirely good thing? ;)

I will take the benign explanation; since I buy my airline tix with AMEX, I figure that must be the reason they know. Not like they're hacking into my TripIt account, or something... :eek:

One other thing to keep in mind using debit/credit cards overseas.... notify your bank about your travel plans. Not sure how the US banks deal with it, but we have had our cards "cautioned" because we suddenly have charges on our card that are well out of our normal area. A quick call has fixed it, they just want to be sure that it's us using our cards, but we have had fun trying to get cell service in some areas to make that call.

My card (TD Visa) stopped requiring notification a year or two ago. None of the major Canadian banks now require it:

http://canada.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/call-issuer-before-travel-1264/

I got notification from TD that I no longer needed to inform them for my credit card. I'm not sure whether the rules are the same for debit cards for ATMs.

When CIBC said the same, they said that their fraud detection had improved. I'm still not sure how that works.

I know I have had to call twice for authorization, but each was for a substantial purchase, and I would think that I would have to confirm that even if the purchase was here at home.

Hi gj,

You have a great trip ahead of you.

Vienna will be your last stop in the Eurozone.

Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania use their own currency.

Last year when we did a Bucharest to Vienna I got about $50 worth of each of the currencies - just in case.

You can use your leftover currency to tip the crew.

Ira

This is the exact trip we are taking next month. I looked up all the currencies online and all our ports are in countries that use their own money. We will be taking two different credit cards that do not charge foreign transaction fees. Of course everyone on our boat will be in the same boat (pun intended), so I'm sure we will get advice from more experienced travelers and also our main tour guides also about how best to handle the monies. Some stops don't have a lot of free time so could probably get by with cards. Of course a little bit of the different monies brought home for the grandkids would be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just double checked my Canadian banks

TD

Do I need to place a Travel Watch Notification on my TD Cards before I travel?

No, you do not need to tell us when you are travelling and plan to use your TD Canada Trust Credit Card or Access Card. Our industry leading fraud detection systems can now better detect suspicious or unauthorized transactions.

Ensure your contact information is up to date

Please ensure your contact information is up to date in case we need to reach you. You can easily update your information in EasyWeb.

Scotiabank (who hold my credit card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees)

A travel notification helps ensure that you can use your credit card when you're out of the country. Just let us know where you're going and when. We'll help to ensure that your Scotiabank credit cards are available for you to use when you're away.

Q.

What if I don't set up a notification?

If you try to use your credit card while you're travelling, your card could be denied. So it's a smart idea to setup a travel notification before you leave.

CIBC

How do I set up a travel notification for my CIBC Credit Card?

You do not need to inform CIBC if you plan to use your CIBC credit or debit cards while travelling. No matter where you are, CIBC’s fraud systems will monitor your account(s) for suspicious transactions.

Should we need to reach you regarding the security of your account, please make sure your ‘My Profile’ section of Online Banking is up to date.

Sorry for the formatting; I copied these from the websites.

Canadian and American banking systems are actually quite different. Canada has 5 (or 6) big national banks. Usually they behave the same; this is unusual. The US has lots of smaller, more local, institutions (generally).

The big difference between American and Canadian credit cards is that Canada has changed to chip and pin, the US is moving to chip, but not pin. This allows us to use our credit cards at machines in Europe (usually; sometimes they only want local cards).

I had an experience with fraud detection systems. I was shopping in Rochester, NY, and my credit card was rejected. What had happened was that I had just made a final payment on a tour, in Euros, that went through the tour company's office in Italy. The credit card company flagged that I was in 2 places at the same time, and rejected the transaction. I called them, and everything was straightened away, but they do have fraud detection systems in place.

Scenic does include everything - and most guides will be able to direct you to "free" toilets - but I would suggest having some Euros on hand just in case. We stay away from airport ATMs and usually find one in town. Again, the guides are a good source of info.

Not sure what bank you deal with, but ask if there are any articulation agreements. We bank with Scotia and so there are a number of banks in Europe that we can use and not be charged ATM fees.

Hungary is the best for Paprika... If you get an opportunity, go the to Central Market and buy it there. It is available *everywhere* in Budapest... the price may be affected by where you buy it, a "pretty" tin etc. Look for the expiry date - it is considered "good" for a year. You can buy hot and sweet everywhere - smoked is a bit more difficult to find (but is at the market). You can use Euros in Budapest, but you won't get the best exchange rate. We love Budapest... so much to see and do there.

We have not had any issues bringing home Paprika - haven't tried to bring back cheese. We found Scenic had some amazing cheeses on board - so really got my fill before we disembarked.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Fran

Thanks for the info Fran. We bank at Scotia as well so I'll be sure to get a list from them before I go, that will make it a lot easier. I've never been to Budapest but I just know I will love it.

SNIP

I had an experience with fraud detection systems. I was shopping in Rochester, NY, and my credit card was rejected. What had happened was that I had just made a final payment on a tour, in Euros, that went through the tour company's office in Italy. The credit card company flagged that I was in 2 places at the same time, and rejected the transaction. I called them, and everything was straightened away, but they do have fraud detection systems in place.

I imagine it would be a real hassle to call your US/Canadian bank from a small town in Romania. The credit card may say call collect, but communicating that with a language barrier? ? ?

I imagine it would be a real hassle to call your US/Canadian bank from a small town in Romania. The credit card may say call collect, but communicating that with a language barrier? ? ?

It wasn't any easier for me in London, of all places! Go figure.

Back in 2008 or so when we were relative neophytes, I didn't set a travel alert and we went on our merry way to London for a few days pre-cruise. I made an ATM withdrawal upon landing in Heathrow and all was well. We enjoyed our few days and in the evening of the last day before the cruise, I visited the ATM again to withdraw cash so that I could pay our driver/guide tomorrow.

No luck. Card denied. Call your bank...

No problem I thought. I have their number to call collect, so I can call from the hotel. So I inquired at our hotel's front desk about how to make a collect call. Blank look. How can I make a call and reverse the charges? No comprehension. Multiple attempts to ask the question met with with blank stares. Got nowhere they just told me to dial the number as instructed in the phone manual in the room (which didn't tell how to do that). Eventually I gave up.

Went to the room and googled it on the hotel Wi-Fi. Found the proper code to get to the operator, but that only works from a pay phone...

Luckily there was a booth across from the hotel, on Leicester Square. Once the guy ahead of me finished his call and his beer, Chris and I squeezed in and we called BofA collect. Worked fine, but 45 minutes in a phone booth, holding for the next available representative, while we both really wanted to get some sleep before our 4:30 AM pickup, wasn't the most fun way to end our night.

Once I got through to the bank it was fixed quickly. Back to the ATM, got a handful of Pound Sterling, and then a few hours of sleep.

Moral 1: don't forget the travel notice (if needed)

Moral 2: Language barriers don't require different languages.

Lessons learned! At least nowadays, BofA allows you to set your travel notice via their online banking website.

As an aside to floatinrocks. BofA is part of the Global ATM Alliance, as is Scotia Bank. If Scotia Bank uses the same list of banks as BofA (which it should), then there are no partner banks in the Netherlands. Deutsche Bank in Germany is a partner bank. Nothing in Austria or Hungary. If you end up in France (depending on how far down the Rhine you go, you may) then BNP Paribas is a partner.

I have never figured out how to call collect from a cell phone. I hurt my hand in the Netherlands, and ended up just using paid cell service to call my medical insurer to let them know before I went to the hospital.

I am cruising Scenic Amsterdam to Budapest April 11th. Everything is included in their one price so I'm really having a very hard time figuring out how much I should get in Euros and Florints. It's 15 days. I'll want to bring home some soapless soap, Gouda cheese as gifts, Hungarian Paprika etc. Any suggestions?

I like the post about buying a coffee and getting change for toilets, good advice!!!

:rolleyes:

We did the same cruise in Sept/Oct last year. You will LOVE it!! Seriously, you will be so well fed, you will struggle to even feel like buying coffee or cake on-shore but we did occasionally and we would have regretted it if we hadn't. I took E500 cash, plus a cash card loaded with more, and didn't spend half of it!

I also took 1000 Florints, as you do get some time at Fishermans Bastion in Budapest where you can look around. They take Euro too, but I didn't want to be one of "those" tourists. Came across some American's who were super rude to a lady in a shop in Austria when she wouldn't take US dollars! I mean, why would she? Anyhow, back to Florints. They were also handy for the toilets, although they prefer coins so maybe buy something to break up a bill. Plenty of lovely things to chose from, and inexpensive.

I got both cheese and paprika back into New Zealand, I think as long as the cheese is vacuumed packed it is OK. You will get a tour of a cheese place on the first day in Amsterdam. Be prepared to eat non-stop on this trip - its AMAZING! Lots of "tastings" all the way along.

Just a hint - in Vienna you get an excursion choice to go to Bratislava. Go. The hot chocolate is to die for!! Such a contrast to rich Vienna. On my list of places to revisit.

Be aware the a lot of our group were disappointed to discover the Spanish horses are not open every day. You also get a half day guided tour through Vienna, and past the stables, and then option to catch the shuttle back again after lunch. We made the most of this, so we saw a lot of Vienna so we could go to Bratislava. But then, I had already seen the Schronbruun palace. Vienna was the place with about four excursion options - all excellent.

Enjoy!!

We did the same cruise in Sept/Oct last year. You will LOVE it!! Seriously, you will be so well fed, you will struggle to even feel like buying coffee or cake on-shore but we did occasionally and we would have regretted it if we hadn't. I took E500 cash, plus a cash card loaded with more, and didn't spend half of it!

I also took 1000 Florints, as you do get some time at Fishermans Bastion in Budapest where you can look around. They take Euro too, but I didn't want to be one of "those" tourists. Came across some American's who were super rude to a lady in a shop in Austria when she wouldn't take US dollars! I mean, why would she? Anyhow, back to Florints. They were also handy for the toilets, although they prefer coins so maybe buy something to break up a bill. Plenty of lovely things to chose from, and inexpensive.

I got both cheese and paprika back into New Zealand, I think as long as the cheese is vacuumed packed it is OK. You will get a tour of a cheese place on the first day in Amsterdam. Be prepared to eat non-stop on this trip - its AMAZING! Lots of "tastings" all the way along.

Just a hint - in Vienna you get an excursion choice to go to Bratislava. Go. The hot chocolate is to die for!! Such a contrast to rich Vienna. On my list of places to revisit.

Be aware the a lot of our group were disappointed to discover the Spanish horses are not open every day. You also get a half day guided tour through Vienna, and past the stables, and then option to catch the shuttle back again after lunch. We made the most of this, so we saw a lot of Vienna so we could go to Bratislava. But then, I had already seen the Schronbruun palace. Vienna was the place with about four excursion options - all excellent.

Enjoy!!

Thank you Henrys Aunt, I had come to the conclusion I would get 500 Euros. I'll always be able to use my bank card. Did you spend 1000 Florints??? I don't want to be that couple either. I'd prefer to have home country currency wherever I go. I once had a salesgirl in Buffalo, push 2 pennies back towards me (I'd gotten a couple of Cdn. pennies mixed in with my American change) she curled her lips (like poop was on the counter) and said, "What Is THAT".

Anyway, thank you very very much for the hints and the information.

Thank you Henrys Aunt, I had come to the conclusion I would get 500 Euros. I'll always be able to use my bank card. Did you spend 1000 Florints??? I don't want to be that couple either. I'd prefer to have home country currency wherever I go. I once had a salesgirl in Buffalo, push 2 pennies back towards me (I'd gotten a couple of Cdn. pennies mixed in with my American change) she curled her lips (like poop was on the counter) and said, "What Is THAT".

Remember apples and oranges. I doubt it would be hard to spend a 1000 Florints as it is less than $4.00 with the current exchange at roughly 293/1. LOL

We will be in Budapest a total of 5 nights. Traveling out of the city one day. With tips, food, gifts, and taxis, I ordered 200.00 US, it translated to over 50,000 Hungarians Forints.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on our own too for the first two nights, and the third night we stayed on the Uniworld ship. We used public transport exclusively though, so we never needed taxis, and we only toured on our own, so there were no tour guides to tip. Thus we needed less cash, but I think your amount is a good ballpark figure.

Hello, again. From memory I almost spent it. Didn't buy much, but there are a number of cute shops. I got a couple of lots of paprika, and a pottery wall hanging of Budapest. You could easily spend it, if not more. As we left straight away the next morning, there wasn't another chance to spend it. Or later that afternoon either although as part of our excursion we went to an amazing concert at the Blind Foundation and the pianist had CD's for sale.