Which cruise should I take?

Rockster09

Hello fellow travelers,

I have a bit of a problem. My wife and I are thinking of taking our first trip on a cruise! Our problem is we're working on a budget which may make the difference between going on a great ship or a good ship. Our question is should I go on a 4 day to the Bahama and be able to do excursions off the ship without going out of our budget or should we go on a nice 7 day bahama trip but be only able to do one or 2 excursions off the ship. The 4 day would probably be on a Carnival ship ($1300) as the 7 day is on the Alure of the Seas from Royal Caribbean (1560). I know the price ain't much different but after adding gratuity and drink packages that's where it will show the difference.

Also, both prices were quoted on a guarantee inside stateroom.

Thanks for all your advice in advance :cool:

First off, any 4 day Carnival cruise is a "Booze Cruise". Secondly, the Carnival ships doing the 4 day cruises are the oldest.

You didn't give me too much information to go on (like what month you want to cruise), but it appears you want to sail from Ft. Lauderdale. Based on that I looked at some pricing and the May 7 Carnival Splendour 6 day is $444 per person. That's a very inexpensive cruise.

If you are willing to cruise out of Miami, you could get on the MSC Divina for 7 days on May 13 for $529 per person. This is a very new and very elegant ship with some of the best shows at sea.

I also looked at Oasis of the Seas (Allure's sister ship) which sails 7 days from Port Canaveral. There is a 7 day on May 21 for $690 per person. May 21 a 7 day on Allure is $698 per person. The other sister ship is Harmony of the seas - she is brand new and on May 6, for 7 days she is $771.

It might depend on the type of excursions you want to do. Are you looking only at ship excursions, or private or DIY excursions? You may find that you can do private or DIY at a much lower cost than those offered by the ship. That might enable you to afford the longer cruise.

What are your interests? (adventure-food-relaxing-sight seeing-shopping-beaches)

What is your approximate. budget (TOTAL)

When can you cruise

FOODIES?

DRINKERS? (how much including bottled water, specialty coffees, wines etc.)

AGE GROUP (it does come into play as far as cruise line, ship, season, itinerary and other factors)

OMO

bosco

Our first cruise - 7 days on the Grandeur about 17 years ago - went by so quickly. I can't imagine how fast a 4 day would go if you find that you love it! Like SuiteTraveler said, the 4 day Carnival is going to be a party ship, the Allure will be a much nicer experience (unless you are looking for a booze cruise [emoji6]).

As for excursions, there are things you can do on your own in each port that will not break the bank. Check out the ports of call board for information and advice.

Not sure how much you shopped around but NCL has a good deal with the unlimited drinks package only costing you the 18% gratuities so that might help your budget planning as well.

I guess another question to ask yourself would be are you wanting to cruise for the ports you visit or are you wanting to cruise for the ship and the experience? We actually love having one port on each cruise that we don't want to visit just so we get another day to enjoy the ship! But I know everyone is different so port experiences could be your focus.

Whatever you decide, have a fantastic time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry for the little info. I have to go thru fort luaderdale or Miami. I'm in my early 30 and she's in her mid 20's. I'm a first time cruiser as she is also. We have agreed that doing expensive excursions are out but wanna do some type of snorkeling and beach days.

I am a foodie and like to hang out and do some water sports (not water slides) but she might do still an option.

Her hobbies is anything water: ocean or pool she will live and die by a body of water.

We both don't drink alcohol. But I do drink just soda and coffee.

I don't wanna spend in total over 2000 usd

We wanna cruise in May

Sorry for the little info. I have to go thru fort luaderdale or Miami. I'm in my early 30 and she's in her mid 20's. I'm a first time cruiser as she is also. We have agreed that doing expensive excursions are out but wanna do some type of snorkeling and beach days.

I am a foodie and like to hang out and do some water sports (not water slides) but she might do still an option.

Her hobbies is anything water: ocean or pool she will live and die by a body of water.

We both don't drink alcohol. But I do drink just soda and coffee.

I don't wanna spend in total over 2000 usd

We wanna cruise in May

This is just ONE example of what $2,000 can get you on a Royal Cartibbean cruise.

Depending of course on time of year and stateroom selected.

Great cruise for what you guys seem to be interested in.

Soda, specialty type coffees, alcohol and bottled waters ARE EXTRA

Plenty of coffee, tea, lemonade and other type drinks in several areas of the ship.

7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

Leaving from: Fort Lauderdale, Florida Aboard:

Allure of the Seas a great ship with tons of activities, plenty of dining choices and as food goes I would say very good to excellent throughout the ship.

3 PORTS OF CALL;

Private BEACH RESORT AREA for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity at LABADEE HAITI (FANTASTIC PLACE for ALL KINDS OF WATER STUFF)

FALMOUTH JAMAICA

COZUMEL MEXICO

total

$1,615.02 USD

This is for an INSIDE (no veranda or port hole/window)

It leaves plenty for extras. Do a little searching and see what others say about bringing on some of your favorite soda beverages... My wife is a Diet Pepsi Person and we have always been able to bring on a good supply.

OMO

I have no fingers in the pot with any cruise line, just think this is a great option to at least see what can be a great and economical vacation full of memories that will last a lifetime.

bosco

For sure the ALLURE!

You don't need to do any excursions if you don't want to.

Take a taxi to a beach, walk around, etc.

The Allure is a destination by itself and you will have a ball. :)

Absolutely agree with this...and ...do keep your eye on price drops before final payment is due...you just might be able to do better than an inside cabin....and the Boardwalk Balcony view cabins have a few perks you might enjoy.

Lunch or dinner at Johnny Rockets

Soda Package

Private session on the Rock Climbing Wall

For sure the ALLURE!

You don't need to do any excursions if you don't want to.

Take a taxi to a beach, walk around, etc.

The Allure is a destination by itself and you will have a ball. :)

Absolutely agree with this...and ...do keep your eye on price drops before final payment is due...you just might be able to do better than an inside cabin....and the Boardwalk Balcony view cabins have a few perks you might enjoy.

Lunch or dinner at Johnny Rockets

Soda Package

Private session on the Rock Climbing Wall

I will do this Ashland I will look till i make my final payment. Since I am a Veteran they gave me a qoute for a balcony on central park I believe but was up there in price. Although im sure balcony or inside I will have a great time! Thanks

I will do this Ashland I will look till i make my final payment. Since I am a Veteran they gave me a qoute for a balcony on central park I believe but was up there in price. Although im sure balcony or inside I will have a great time! Thanks

First, THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE.

Best of luck on your choice and I am sure that what you choose will be the best cruise you have ever taken ((( lol ))).

BUT IT WILL BE GREAT AND YOU WILL HAVE A BALL,.

Best of luck and happy sailing.

bosco

Given your interests and the fact you don't drink (which will save lots of $$$) I think you would be happiest on Allure or Harmony. Harmony sails from Ft Lauderdale.

May 21 a 7 day on Allure is $698 per person. The other sister ship is Harmony of the seas - she is very new and on May 6, for 7 days she is $771 per person.

May 6 Harmony Itinerary:

Saturday, May 6 Fort Lauderdale, FL4:00pmSunday, May 7 At SeaMonday, May 8 Cozumel, Mexico7:00am6:00pmTuesday, May 9 At SeaWednesday, May 10 Falmouth, Jamaica7:00am4:00pmThursday, May 11 Labadee, Haiti9:30am6:00pmFriday, May 12 At SeaSaturday, May 13 Fort Lauderdale, FL6:30am

May 21 Allure Itinerary:

DatePortArriveDepartSunday, May 21 Fort Lauderdale, FL4:00pmMonday, May 22 At SeaTuesday, May 23 Labadee, Haiti8:00am4:30pmWednesday, May 24 Falmouth, Jamaica10:00am7:00pmThursday, May 25 At SeaFriday, May 26 Cozumel, Mexico8:00am7:00pmSaturday, May 27 At SeaSunday, May 28 Fort Lauderdale, FL6:30am

As you can see, both ships do the same ports. These ships are sister ships so they are mostly identical. Harmony has a few added bells and whistles:

Harmony has a giant waterslide called The Abyss and some other waterslides

Bionic Bar

Classic Carnival games Arcade on Boardwalk

3D Movie theater

Broadway show is "Grease" on Harmony and on Allure it is "Mamma Mia!"

You can get the soda package and they give you a giant insulated cup - bigger than a Big Gulp - with a chip. They have these Coca Cola Freestyle machines in various locations all over the ship that you can use your cup to get any of like 20 different types of Coke products.

Labadee Haiti is RCCL's private island - the only thing that will cost any money there is if you buy a soda or choose to rent some kind of water equipment. Other than that, lunch is included as are the beach chairs.

In Cozumel, you can do a beach day at Paradise Beach and it is only $3 pp for a beach chair and access to the pool and beach. If you want to use their water stuff, it is only $18 pp for that.

http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/team-post/pool/

In Falmouth Jamaica, I'd suggest the Falmouth River Tubing and Bengal Beach just for something very different to do:

http://www.jamaica-tour.com/falmouth-trelawny-tours-excursions.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQiAlsrFBRCAxcCB54XElLEBEiQA_ei0DGhbQAbumZrlNityLFKZwye_aYuoHBgcRCMfRlfcDEAaAqyh8P8HAQ

But if that breaks your budget, then Time N Place or Burwood Beach are great for a beach day:

http://www.mytimenplace.com

http://www.10best.com/destinations/jamaica/montego-bay/jamaica/attractions/burwood-beach/

With Allure or Harmony, what you need to know is that you need to make reservations for the shows in advance through the RCCL website. This is especially important for the comedy club as it sells out because it is such a small venue - but they will have comics onboard who you will have actually seen on TV usually, so it is well worth going. There is a high diving show, ice skating show, Broadway show, acrobatic show, comedy show. There is a jazz club and a latin dance club. There is a pub. There are a lot of included restaurants on these ships including:

MDR

Windjammer Marketplace (buffet)

Wipeout Cafe

Vitality Cafe

Johnny Rockets (breakfast is free)

Park Cafe (known for roast beef sandwiches)

Solarium Bistro (breakfast and lunch)

Boardwalk Dog House

Cafe Promenade

Boardwalk Donut Shop

Sorrento's (pizza and Italian)

What a lot of people don't realize is that some of the specialty restaurants can be very inexpensive. Rita's Cantina, for example is very reasonable:

SOUPS

Roasted Chicken and Tomato Broth ($2.00)

Iced Mint Watermelon and Tomato Bisque ($1.50)

Black Bean Soup ($1.75)

KIDS

Cheese Quesadilla ($1.75)

Nachos with Cheese Sauce ($1.50)

Chicken Tacos ($1.75)

SMALLER PLATES

Starter Taco Salad ($2.75)

Fiesta Guacamole ($2.75)

Party Nachos ($2.50)

Shrimp Ceviche Tostada ($3.00)

Grilled Quesadilla ($3.25)

LARGER PLATES

Classic Taco Salad ($3.25)

Ancho Chile Relleno ($3.00)

Grilled Chicken “Chichen-Itza” ($5.25)

Pork Roast and Jalapeno Cheese Chimichanga ($5.50)

Grilled Salmon, Squash and Jalapeno Cheese Burritos ($5.00)

Seared Red Snapper ($5.50)

Chile Con Carne ($5.00)

The guacamole is made table side and comes with chips - makes a great afternoon snack.

Izumi (Sushi) is also very inexpensive:

STARTERS

Edamame Soy Beans (complimentary)

Vegetable Tempura ($5.00)

Crab Cucumber Citrus Salad ($4.00)

Chicken Kara –Age ($4.00)

Tuna Wasabi Carpaccio ($6.50)

SUSHI NIGIRI

Fish on top of rice:

Seared Albacore ($4.50)

Freshwater BBQ Eel ($2.00)

Tofu Sushi ($1.50)

Octopus ($2.00)

Salmon ($2.00)

Snapper ($2.00)

Shrimp ($2.00)

SLICES OF FISH:

Seared Albacore ($4.50)

Salmon ($4.50)

Octopus ($4.50)

Yellowtail ($5.00)

Snapper ($4.50)

SASHIMI

Shrimp Dumplings ($4.00)

Vegetable Croquette ($4.00)

Ahi Ponzo Salad ($4.00)

Tofu Miso Salad ($4.00)

Miso Soup (complimentary)

Shrimp Wonton Soup ($2.00)

HOT ROCK

Mixed Seafood ($10.00)

Beef Tenderloin ($10.00)

Chicken & Beef Skewer ($7.50)

SIGNATURE ROLLS

Snow Crab California ($5.50)

Box Salmon and Crab ($5.00)

Rainbow (assortment of rolls - $7.00)

Salmon Lovers Rolls ($5.50)

Champagne Lobster ($8.00)

TEMPURA ROLLS

Selection of crispy tempura rolls including shrimp and eel (from $6.00 to $7.00)

TRADITIONAL ROLLS

California Roll ($5.00)

Spicy Tuna Roll ($5.00)

Vegetable Roll ($4.00)

Cucumber Roll ($4.00)

HOT POT NABE

Selection of Beef, Seafood and Shrimp hot pot nabe (cooked in stock with vegetables and noodles and served with rice) ranging from around $6.00 for a single serving to $12.00 for two.

A selection of sharing platters and combinations are also available priced from around $3.00 to $23.00.

For dessert Izumi offers both traditional dishes with an Asian touch, along with some regular Japanese desserts. To experience both tastes a dessert sampler is available which consists of a ginger green tea flan, a green tea mousse, a fruit cocktail with coconut milk, and a dumpling with sweet bean mousse filling.

Have the complimentary edamame and Miso soup and 1 roll each and you have a complete dinner for a whopping $10. Still hungry but don't want to spend more money? Head to one of the included venues and eat some more!

For lunch and dinner Johnny Rocket's is $4.95 for the food (burger & fries) and $4.95 for a milkshake.

Finally, what I want to tell you about these two ships is that you won't have time to do and experience all there is to do onboard. These ships were designed to be THE DESTINATION and have fulfilled that. Although they are huge, you never feel crowded. I think you will enjoy relaxing in the Adults only conservatory and hanging out on deck. There is mini golf, a sports court - with lots of games going on constantly, there are flow riders and zip lines and parades and movies and the fitness center and so much going on, it is unbelievable all there is on these ships. Then at night, there is a different show every night and dinner and then walking around the ship in the evening - even though you only drink soda, go to Central park one evening and get on the Rising Tide bar - it is really fun! The first time my husband and I went on one of those ships, when we got off, we looked at each other and said "Let's do THAT again!" It is just a fantastic experience and I think you will both truly enjoy your cruise! I just cannot recommend this experience highly enough and it will be so much better than a 4 day cruise on an old Carnival ship that doesn't have all the shows and different restaurants and things to do.

Omg guys thanks a lot for your input. Makes me happy to see all the help I can get here and thank you for all the info and knowledge you all bring. I believe that me and my wife are going to do the Allure of the Seas since it is a destination more than a cruise!!!!!

Omg guys thanks a lot for your input. Makes me happy to see all the help I can get here and thank you for all the info and knowledge you all bring. I believe that me and my wife are going to do the Allure of the Seas since it is a destination more than a cruise!!!!!

I think you will have an amazing time! Allure is a truly incredible ship and just a "wow" experience every single day. Be sure to make reservations for the shows online on the RCCL website before your cruise. Other than that, I think you will absolutely have the time of your lives onboard.

I've been on 3, 4, 5, and 7 day cruises and my advice is: TAKE THE 7!

Regardless of the cruise line, you will enjoy the longer cruise. A 4 day barely gives you time to unpack everything. And as others have mentioned, it will likely have a proportionately higher number of drinkers and middle aged adolescents.

Hope you have a great time!

To get the most from your time ashore, a guidebook is the best resource...libraries have them, so you don't have to BUY one! 99% of stuff ashore can be easily done on your own, if you have the knowledge of the place you're visiting!

OR, since you presumably know how to access information digitally, make use of tourism websites specific to your ports of call. Even those dusty guidebooks from the library will usually have a website with more current, up to date information.

Alright guys well I have some bad news :( I could not afford the trip on the Allure of the Seas....By the time I called to reserve they only had balcony rooms and it was way more money than I can possibly spend. Is there any good ships (characteristic to same as Allure of the Seas) I can choose from. Needs to be taking off from either Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Thanks!!!

Just a quick look...there is an NCL Escape cruise out of Miami early May for right around $2,000 total for an inside cabin and it includes one of the "free at sea" promos, which could be $50 per port for excursions.

I have never been on a Carnival cruise, but it is my experience when researching cruises that this line tends to be less expensive than others. You could possibly get a balcony on a 7 day Carnival for the same price an inside would cost on RCCL and NCL.

Bus honestly, your best bet would be to call a travel agent, give them your dates and budget and have them figure this out for you. You will probably get some on board credit for booking through a TA as well! Good luck!