Amber Cove?? Excursion or just go to the beach?

mikechass

I stayed in the Puerto Plata area about 15 years ago on my very 1st trip to the DR. Puerto Plata is the closest beach area to Amber Cove. I vowed never to go back there. The beach was ugly, coarse yellow brown sand and gray Atlantic Ocean water, something that makes Coney Island look good in comparision.

I've been back to the DR many times since then, mostly to Punta Cana with its white sugar sand and aqua blue clear water. Also tried LaRomana Secrets resort, and found that better than the 2 star resorts at Puerto Plata.

When I was in Puerto Plata, Ocean World was maybe 75% built, it's similar to a Sea World, just a bit smaller. I'm ambivalent about these captive animal shows.

I also visited the towns of Sosua and Cabarete while in Puerto Plata, but they may be too far away from Amber Cove to make it a worthwhile visit.

As far as I can see, Amber Cove is a self serving Carnival cookie cutter fenced in shopping mall like Costa Maya and Mahogany Bay. If you like ports like that, go ahead and enjoy it. I probably won't be joining you. I am on the Horizon next May which does stop at Amber Cove, so I will probably enjoy the Serenity Deck and ship spa that day followed by dinner at the Steakhouse.

This is one example where different tastes can be accommodated while cruising!

NICE!! We clearly missed this on our first visit. I was contemplating staying on the ship this time, but ziplining is TOTALLY ON MY BUCKET LIST!!! How do I get to this area from the ship?

Walk down the pier to the port. Boom - you're there

IMG_1070.jpg.103c0a7f1d4c3d0c02f3557f3c48662b.jpg

Edited by lizardhowson

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
if your kids really want to see the monkeys, then i say go ahead and enjoy it. Its all about the kids. But i will say, do not waste your money paying for a formal excursion to any of the beaches. Amber cove's port has several activities right at the port already mentioned. You can have a blast without spending more money. You can even go back and forth to the ship for your free food and then return to the activities right at the port. If you really want to spend a day at the beach, do not buy an excursion. Walk past the local recruiters and head to the taxi stand. I believe we paid $20 a person to have our taxi driver drive us to one of the beaches about 20 minutes out and he stayed with us the entire time. They have free cabanas to lounge on and people come around from the local restaurants and sell you food and drinks. You also have the locals walking around offering massages, hair braiding and pictures with the parrots for really cheap prices. Or you can patronize the formal restaurants and massage spas. A little more costly but nothing compared to the formal excursions that are sold at the port or by the cruise line. We really enjoyed our beach day. We got burgers and fries right on the beach, pina coladas, coconuts and some other island snacks.

is it safe to use there taxi?

I vote for just walking to the beach...take the scenic nature trail and save some bucks for other ports or activities on the ship.

Cheers and happy cruising.

When we were there in Dec stayed at the pool area and walked around a bit. Didnt notice nature trail to a beach will look for it if we ever go back. Did manage to get wifi by the pool which was nice.

Thanks so much for the recommendation and tip. We have only been to Amber Cove once and just basically walked around the port area. If we ever go with the grandkids will definitely look into this. Have you ever done Dunns River Falls? If so, how did this compare to that in terms of physical exertion? Thanks

I've done both. I was about 4-5 months pregnant when I did Dunns River Falls and didn't find it difficult at all. My biggest issue was Dunns river was the whole forming a human chain and being pulled by the people in front of and behind you - I hated that and was going to quit but the guide brought be to the front so I could go up the whole way.

The falls in Amber Cove were a more 'intense' hike up to the top of the 12 falls and then you definitely got really bumped around on some of the 'slides' down the water falls. To me it was much more physical then Dunns River but totally worth it.

Hi everyone.

I looked under the excursions section of our upcoming Magic Cruise. There is a great little monkey one that peaked my interest but there are a few people saying the 3 hours to get there and back was a bit much.

I know my kids would love the monkey part so I'm leaning towards booking it for our family of 4 but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone is really all that experienced with this port or this actual excursion.

Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thanks so much

Also, I did search for Amber Cove as a port in the forum but I didn't find it anywhere really so I figured I'd just ask.

Chass.

Its under Carribbean, then Dominican Republic. There are a lot of reviews and suggestions in that forum.

I vote for just walking to the beach...take the scenic nature trail and save some bucks for other ports or activities on the ship.

Cheers and happy cruising.

I guarantee you won't want to walk to the nearest beach even if you are a fitness junkie - it is downtown. Plus, there is a lot of rough area between the port & downtown. Besides, the beach leaves a lot to be desired.

is it safe to use there taxi?

The taxis that are licensed to pick up & drop off at the port are safe. I would not advised grabbing a cab on your own out on the road or in town.

My first visit to Amber Cove was this December. Our itinerary dropped Grand Turk and added Amber Cove. I was hesitant at first but after reading and googling it I have to say it has made my top 5 ports. We did a private excursion that was very affordable. Our guide was so knowledgeable, funny and I never felt unsafe. We met outside of the port gate, which I admit was a walk, but once we arrived at the van, we were off. Don't miss the cable car!!!! Its a must see. Its called the Teleferico Puerto Plata Cable Car and the views from the top are amazing. Once up top there is a Dominican statue that is the sister statue to the famous one in Rio. Again Amazing. After that we went to a cigar factory, a little shopping and a chocolate factory. We also visited a rum factory and that was yummy. I understand if you have children you may want to stay at the port and use the zipline, waterslides, etc....but for anyone who really wants to see Puerto Plata.....this is the way to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
If you really want to spend a day at the beach, do not buy an excursion. Walk past the local recruiters and head to the taxi stand. I believe we paid $20 a person to have our taxi driver drive us to one of the beaches about 20 minutes out and he stayed with us the entire time. They have free cabanas to lounge on and people come around from the local restaurants and sell you food and drinks. You also have the locals walking around offering massages, hair braiding and pictures with the parrots for really cheap prices. .

Do you remember the name of the beach? There seems to be several in the area? Thanks!

I have a video of the port area. We really enjoyed our day there last year. We are going there again next month, but taking the Mega truck excursion most likely (that's what I have booked, but still debating if we want to do the waterfalls instead).

the pool area is gigantic...there is a dedicated KID area with stuff too but I didn't get any of that added to video. Especially if you have kids, I think this is a great day area. Food can be bought inside the pool bar/restaurant but was limited to a small menu. We went back on ship for lunch and to do the ropes course while it was not busy. Great day for us. Looking forward to Amber Cove again.

Thanks so much for those pictures and all the responses....

I just didn't know if the $80 US a person ($70 for one of our four) is worth it to spend 2 hours at the monkey sanctuary...

Especially after you factor in the 3 hours travel time.

Maybe just lazing by the pool with those comfy chairs would be fun??

Thanks again

Safe Travels.

Chass

$80 would buy you about 8-10 cocktails;p if that helps!

I was thinking of renting a kayak at Amber Cove, but have never kayaked before. Do they give you any instruction or would I be better off booking an excursion at one of the other ports?

My Grandaughters ages 21 and 13 took out kayaks there. Not much instruction but they did fine and the water was calm.

visiting pool areas (without beaches nearby) at ports of call is not usually my thing to do. ie; margaritaville type places,,not my favorite places to go, find them too crowded, too noisy, boisterous etc...but the pool area at Amber cove did look very nice to me. If ever back there again, I would likely just hang out there for the day ashore. I only looked around there though, did not stay, so it may have just gotten more crowded and boisterous, noisy later in the day. Still, did look like a place that I would enjoy some lounge chair time. Also, saw beaches, very small ones nearby, but looked like they belonged to private condos, or such. There were not any people on them. I believe that a beach accessible to public or tourists might be a ways off.

We'll be here in June. Been looking for things to do ourselves at each of our stops because the excursions that are left don't really interest us or are too expensive. Question: When everyone says there are "many activities" and "plenty of activities," etc. in the area near the pier, is there more than just a pool, water slide, bar, and zip line? We're not really sit around the pool kind of people and to be perfectly honest, we don't really want to cruise to tropical islands to sit around a pool. So if that's really all there is in the pier area and we can't find something elsewhere, I think I'd rather just enjoy the quiet ship.

How far is that cable car up the mountain from the port and roughly how much to take a taxi (4 people)? Not interested in it being part of a city tour, but going straight to the cable car.

The cable car is in Puerta Plata, which is an hour away.
I was looking around on Google Maps today and decided to route from the Amber Cove cruise port to the cable car. Google says it's just over 6 miles and a 15 minute drive. So what makes you say an hour? We wouldn't do the city tour, just thinking about taking a taxi straight to the cable car.

There is no way the Cable Car is an hour away. We’ve taken an excursion that took us to Sousa Beach and that is an hour away and the Cable Car looks to be about a third of the distance so I’m guessing 20-25 minutes at most

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...