Where should I take a new cruiser?

JonesCruiser1978

If you are flying to any port, do a 7 day. That way you amortize the airfare more effectively. If your preference is to head to the eastern Caribbean, sail out of Florida. The western Caribbean can be accessed from any gulf port. One of those two trips would be my first recommendation for a new traveler.

We just did this with our 27yr old son last summer. I have been begging him to go with us, but he was in college (no time) then working 2 jobs (no money and time off). Finally bugged him enough and he gave in to a 5-day our of Galveston (he lives in Houston). He had traveled with us as a teen, but not since. We helped him get his passport, too.

Well, he LOVED it. He was so skeptical, but had so much fun just being onboard, sitting in a chair looking out at the ocean. He said he will definitely go again on a cruise and has recommended it to friends. We did excursions at both ports, Cozumel and Progreso. We all had a blast. Report and photos under my signature, Liberty Aug 2016.

I would recommend you pick a cruise with ports that the friend has interests. Pick a ship that is newer. Have fun.

When we were planning our first cruise 6 years ago, everyone told us to take a shorter cruise - but I am so glad we didn't. Taking a week long cruise meant a nicer, newer ship and a little less "party" atmosphere. This meant that this shy, unassuming newbie felt much more comfortable letting go and just enjoying the experience.

However, this would depend on your friend. If they already like to party hard, then probably a shorter cruise would be fun.

And - my port suggestion is to include a private island. I Love Half Moon Cay (CCL) and Labadee (RCCL) and would prefer these to any other port.

If there are concerns about seasickness then I've say a 4-day trip is good because it's long enough to get a good sense of everything but not a huge commitment. My first sail was a 4 day trip out of Long Beach to Catalina and Ensenada and I found it to be a great toe-in-the-water experience...

aSdVsMw8XqU

Carnival also sails out of Port Canaveral. It is a 1/2 day shorter drive than going to Ft Lauderdale or Miami. From South Carolina you can drive to Cocoa Beach in a day.

Port Canaveral:

The Carnival Liberty does 3 & 4 day trips to the Bahamas

The Carnival Magic does mainly 7 day trips to the Carribean

The Carnival Sunshine does 4 cruises out of Canaveral in November.

The Carnival Sunshine does 2 trips - a 4 day and a 5 day - out of Charleston SC in Sept and a 7 day in November.

This may give you some other options. Plan to drive in the day before the trip to be sure there aren't any hang-ups on the Interstates :D

I would definitely start with one of Carnival's 3 or 4 day cruises like to the Bahamas. You want to start out light so if the person loves cruising, you have something to build on. If you start with a more expensive 7 day cruise, they may not like cruising or being off land for so long and that would kill the entire experience. You don't know if they will be sea sick or even enjoy being out to sea. My husband is an international traveler and gets bored very easy on anything longer than 5 or 6 days out to sea. He appreciates being on land for a longer duration so he can really get to know the culture of the island or country we are visiting. Stopping in ports for just a few hours is very frustrating for him because just when he feels like we are getting in the local groove it is time to head back to the ship. So my advice is to start off small and if they love it, then future cruises will only get better and better.

Since you're from South Carolina and posted this on the Carnival Board, thinking you might be looking at a cruise out of Charleston.

From anyplace is SC you can drive to there the day of the cruise so there would be no need to spend an extra night at a hotel in Charleston unless you wished.

Carnival Ecstasy has many roundtrips from there all fall. Carnival Sunshine has a few as well.

You might want to consider going in November when the possibility is a tropical storm/hurricane is less than September & October.

From Charleston a 7 Day would be nice because you could get into the Caribbean rather than a "quicky" to the Bahamas. ;)

It would be this fall... somewhere between Sept-November

Keep in mind you're talking hurricane season. Not saying it will, but there may be a bit of motion if that's a concern.;)

Edited by jayscore
content

Starting out with a 4 or 5 day is a good idea for a new cruiser. If you could find one that goes to Half Moon Cay, you will not find a more beautiful beach. It's my favorite cruise port. Where are you located? If you can find a port close by and not have airfare, that would be great too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If there are concerns about seasickness then I've say a 4-day trip is good because it's long enough to get a good sense of everything but not a huge commitment. My first sail was a 4 day trip out of Long Beach to Catalina and Ensenada and I found it to be a great toe-in-the-water experience...

aSdVsMw8XqU

^^THIS^^ I have a friend that can't cruise for more than 4 days. She gets sea sick AND doesn't like the sun. BUMMER for me!

I would suggest a 5 day. 3 and 4 day cruises are just too short. I also agree with the private island suggestions. Half Moon Cay is gorgeous! As far as timing, go with November. We almost missed our cruise last October because of Matthew.

We're doing a 5 day to Nassau and Princess Cays out of Jacksonville November 4 this year on the Elation. Good rates, pretty good itinerary, and the ship will be only a month out of a month long dry dock so she should be looking great!

I would suggest a 5 day. 3 and 4 day cruises are just too short. I also agree with the private island suggestions. Half Moon Cay is gorgeous! As far as timing, go with November. We almost missed our cruise last October because of Matthew.

We're doing a 5 day to Nassau and Princess Cays out of Jacksonville November 4 this year on the Elation. Good rates, pretty good itinerary, and the ship will be only a month out of a month long dry dock so she should be looking great!

I was actually looking at this exact cruise for the end of October! Half Moon Cay is my favorite port. What are they doing during the dry dock?