What's your favorite part of the MDR menu/experience?

Keys2Heaven

We had a cruise on SunShine and just happen to have table next to where maitre'd Ken Bryne would sing. It made for fantastic dining experiences.

Our next cruise, we were at table of 8, but each night it was only us, and one other couple that would show up. The staff of three really took care of us. We would leave extra cash tip each night besides the pre-paid grats. We had Cheers and the cocktail server go to know our routine: two glasses of red wine with dinner, and Baileys to go with our coffee for desert.

I'm such a picky eater , and I've looked at some of the menu items and only see 2-3 things I'd eat, wonder if they serve just reg steaks or chicken breasts nothing fancy, and I'm deff not one for trying anything new,

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Every night in the "From the Grill" section of the menu, there are four constants. Flat iron steak, grilled chicken, pork chop and salmon fillet.

The chocolate melting cake is it for me!!! My spouse and I have only been on one cruise and we could not stop thinking about it when we got off. It is actually one of the reasons why we booked carnival again for our honeymoon in hawaii next year. We will spend 11 days on the ship and plan to get it almost everyday. It is amazing!!!

Try it with strawberry ice cream! Strawberries and chocolate belong together! :hearteyes: A lot of people like it with butter pecan, but I go with strawberry every time! WTH, ask for both and include the vanilla that always comes with it and have a taste test! ;):cool::p

I agree with ALL of the above and I am loving reading this thread! I am also a picky eater and have enjoyed trying new things and learning that what I thought I didn't like, I actually DID. Was never a cold soup person. I honestly never tried any of them since in my mind I think soup should be HOT! But a waiter brought me the cold cherry bing soup on the Liberty a few years ago by mistake and it was love at first bite. Oh, man....delish. I would never have known that. :confused: I also love seeing fellow passengers getting dressed up for elegant night. We happened to be on a cruise when elegant night was Valentine's Day and it was like I was at the Academy Awards. I dress up EVERY night for dinner and really enjoy having that experience and "excuse". Happy cruising everyone!

Anyone know if the strawberry bisque is available on MDR breakfast menu?

Are you referring to Seaday Brunch?

If so, here is that menu:

https://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/seaday-brunch-menu.pdf

My wife and I LOVE Seaday Brunch and will indulge in a Bloody Mary. One our must do vice's during a cruise!

We love comparing notes with our young-adult children at dinner; the food options and variety of things we do not prepare at home; being showered and "dressed up" (just a little) after an exciting day on an excursion or around the ship; having photos taken before the meal; and finishing up with delicious hot chocolate afterward [when service is quick enough and/or we are not rushing to get to a show/comedy]. Like a previous poster said, not receiving a bill at the end of the meal is nice, too.

The Carnival MDR Experience is a key reason why we choose to cruise.

Ok thank you for that information, I can deff eat the steak or chicken.

I am also a very picky eater ... often asking my DH to try something and tell me if I will like it. LOL Despite that, I have tried multiple things on the boat that have been amazing in the MDR. Things I NEVER thought in a million years that I would like or even eat. One night they serve lobster tail (7 day or longer cruises) ... as many as you can eat. YUMMO! One night they serve a beef stroganoff w/ beets (different from any stroganoff I've ever eaten and I hate beets - but this was really, really good. The lasagna is wonderful, couldn't even eat it all. I've found also that despite the weird names and descriptions of most of the food, it's actually really good and pretty normal.

Others have mentioned this, but I will say it again ... broaden your horizons. Attempt to TRY something different on the menu each night. If you don't like it, they will take it back and bring you something else - no questions asked. That's the best part! I think you will be presently surprised.

I am also a very picky eater ... often asking my DH to try something and tell me if I will like it. LOL Despite that, I have tried multiple things on the boat that have been amazing in the MDR. Things I NEVER thought in a million years that I would like or even eat. One night they serve lobster tail (7 day or longer cruises) ... as many as you can eat. YUMMO! One night they serve a beef stroganoff w/ beets (different from any stroganoff I've ever eaten and I hate beets - but this was really, really good. The lasagna is wonderful, couldn't even eat it all. I've found also that despite the weird names and descriptions of most of the food, it's actually really good and pretty normal.

Others have mentioned this, but I will say it again ... broaden your horizons. Attempt to TRY something different on the menu each night. If you don't like it, they will take it back and bring you something else - no questions asked. That's the best part! I think you will be presently surprised.

How long does a typical dinner in main dining room last, My brother and his family went and said they were in there for about 2-2 1/2 hours , That seemed like a long time to be at a dinner table, although I understand they are waiting on and serving 100s of people at same time, just wondered if your at a table with other cruisers that are not in your party do they take all orders and bring out all orders together?

How long does a typical dinner in main dining room last, My brother and his family went and said they were in there for about 2-2 1/2 hours , That seemed like a long time to be at a dinner table, although I understand they are waiting on and serving 100s of people at same time, just wondered if your at a table with other cruisers that are not in your party do they take all orders and bring out all orders together?

On the Carnival Sunshine we were never longer than an hour and 1/2 and we always have coffee at the end of our meal.

Normal procedure is to seat groups at a table at around the same time and take and bring out all the orders at the same time.

If you want to speed up the MDR process you can ask for the desert menu when you get the entree menu. Order both and there will be no wait time between the 2.:hot-beverage:

On the Carnival Sunshine we were never longer than an hour and 1/2 and we always have coffee at the end of our meal.

Normal procedure is to seat groups at a table at around the same time and take and bring out all the orders at the same time.

If you want to speed up the MDR process you can ask for the desert menu when you get the entree menu. Order both and there will be no wait time between the 2.:hot-beverage:

Thank you for that info I will remember that,

The average for us has been about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. They do wait a few minutes for all of the guests to arrive at the dining table, but if you are only a few short they usually move forward w/ drinks & appetizers. We always let our table mates know if we were not attending dinner the next night so the dining staff would know we weren't coming in advance. It can run a bit longer on the nights that they sing & dance, but worth the show. You can order your dessert to go if you wish to catch a show on the boat ... or skip dessert - we've done both.

Special memories. A few years ago on the Dream, first cruise with our daughters, DH and I celebrated our 25th anniversary dinner at the steakhouse. We expected the girls, then 12 & 15, to eat at the buffet in our absence. Nope. They took it upon themselves to dress up and head to our table in the MDR at the appointed time.

They're a bit shy and had kept close to us throughout the trip so we were stunned to find out they had taken this leap. Ends up the waitstaff made them feel so welcome and comfortable that they were able to do this on their own. My youngest got so much into playing "grownup" that she ordered an expresso with dessert- much to the embarrassment of her sister. She of course had no idea what it was so the laugh was on her!

They're both in college now and we're headed out on NCL's Getaway for spring break next week (I was going to book the Glory but something in my intuition kept me from doing that ).

My oldest DD is excited about all the activities (and unlimited adult beverages :) but bummed that we won't have the traditional MDR experience. I didn't realize how much they enjoyed that aspect of our past cruises. I'm excited to try something new, but agree with her that it won't feel the same. Nothing though beats family time around a table, so I'm sure we'll make wonderful new memories on this trip as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

skip dessert ...

?!?!

I wasn't even aware those two words could go together...

Listen ... I don't mean skip as in don't have any! But have you ever tried the dark chocolate layer cake from the Coffee Bar? OMG! I LOVE that so much more than ANYTHING on the dining room desert menu! I have gotten a slice & kept it in the room fridge and then eaten it later w/ coffee after show.

Listen ... I don't mean skip as in don't have any! But have you ever tried the dark chocolate layer cake from the Coffee Bar? OMG! I LOVE that so much more than ANYTHING on the dining room desert menu! I have gotten a slice & kept it in the room fridge and then eaten it later w/ coffee after show.

lol, I've walked past that and seen cakes I'd love to try but it was always on the way to somewhere else and I never seem to get back to it. I'll be sure to check it out next year...if not sooner.