Alternative to water shoes help!

Peace2U

My husband, son and I are going on a cave tubing excursion in Belize. We are supposed to wear something with good traction, like water shoes, but my son does not like them and would like something else. What other types of footwear give the same benefit as water shoes? Thanks!

There are lots of different types of water shoes. What kind doesn't he like? Is he thinking of the ones from the rack at Walmart or a true water shoe? Look at Keens, Teva, Merrill, Olukai etc. Seen these at places like DSW, Famous Footwear and REI. Check the sales rack at REI.

Some ideas to get you started

http://m.keenfootwear.com/en-ca/product/shoes/men/newport-evo-h2

https://www.rei.com/product/898066/olukai-eleu-trainier-water-shoes-mens

Could simply wear a pair of sneakers, but then his feet will be wet all day.

Found these Quicksilver ones

https://www.rei.com/product/108422/quiksilver-ag47-amphibian-shoes-mens

There are children's versions available of all these types.

Edited by SadieN

There are lots of different types of water shoes. What kind doesn't he like? Is he thinking of the ones from the rack at Walmart or a true water shoe? Look at Keens, Teva, Merrill, Olukai etc. Seen these at places like DSW, Famous Footwear and REI. Check the sales rack at REI.

It's the standard cheapie ones he doesn't like. I will check out the brands you mentioned. Thanks!

Tevas were designed by white water enthusiasts. They were literally designed to be functional for active water activities like kayaking, rafting, canoeing, etc. Meant to be able to be worn for the land portion and the wet portion of your day with fully adjustable straps to keep the soles on your feet, but having minimal straps to speed dry recovery after getting out of the water. I would highly recommend Tevas.

If you wear them in the ocean how do you get all the sand out so they are comfortable the next time you wear them? I have bought water shoes in the past and have never gotten all the sand out and never were able to wear them again. They were the cheap ones from Walmart.

Laura

If you wear them in the ocean how do you get all the sand out so they are comfortable the next time you wear them? I have bought water shoes in the past and have never gotten all the sand out and never were able to wear them again. They were the cheap ones from Walmart.

Laura

I have had that problem too. I think I still have some sand in mine years later.

Tevas were designed by white water enthusiasts. They were literally designed to be functional for active water activities like kayaking, rafting, canoeing, etc. Meant to be able to be worn for the land portion and the wet portion of your day with fully adjustable straps to keep the soles on your feet, but having minimal straps to speed dry recovery after getting out of the water. I would highly recommend Tevas.

I will see what I can find. He probably will only wear them for the excursion. His footwear consists of Under Armour and Jordan high tops and flip flops around the yard. He's a picky one. Tevas are great though.

Just wear sneakers! They just want you to have shoes that won't slip off your foot. Sneakers are fine. Yes...they'll probably be wet, but they will dry eventually!

Oh, good. Thanks!

Laura

Baby powder! (or cornstarch)

I'm not typically a beach person but do like walking in the sand at times. Baby powder rubbed into (and shaken out) the shoes and your feet will remove 99.9% of sand. Learnt this trick when the kids were in preschool.

I will see what I can find. He probably will only wear them for the excursion. His footwear consists of Under Armour and Jordan high tops and flip flops around the yard. He's a picky one. Tevas are great though.

What doesn't he like about the cheap water shoes? Will he wear them again (another excursion, another time? If he's still growing why waste the money on expensive shoes to only wear once. (Been there, done that with a child who's foot finally stopped growing).