Going on the Escape in September trying to find the best way there

Beefcrinkle

So to start I am on the west coast, I will be flying out of Eugene OR to Miami. My problem is im not so sure how the ship boarding works and worried about times. We are doing a honeymoon cruise and trying to keep a budget so we can afford some excursion. I was thinking about doing a red eye flight getting into MIA around 10am if it all works out correctly. Would that be enough time to make it to the ship? One thing I can do is use NCL to get a hotel and they have the shuttle but it adds about 300$ to our budget we did not plan for as of now. Flights are within dollars. Only benefit is that I would not be super tired when I board. Has any one done a red eye and got on board and still managed to not pass out ;p

It's a 20 min cab ride to the ship...assuming your flight does get in at 10 am, but the time you get your bags, hop in a cab and get there, you will be PERFECTLY timed to get on that ship! Boarding usually starts around 11am.

As far as the "red eye" flight...I can't sleep on a plane, so I would be exhausted.....but saving the $300 would be worth it!

There will be folks who will tell you to come the day before...and usually, I agree, but it's not possible for everyone. If you're flight is on time, you are golden! You have until 90 mins prior to the ship leaving to board....just in case there is a small delay.

It's a 20 min cab ride to the ship...assuming your flight does get in at 10 am, but the time you get your bags, hop in a cab and get there, you will be PERFECTLY timed to get on that ship! Boarding usually starts around 11am.

As far as the "red eye" flight...I can't sleep on a plane, so I would be exhausted.....but saving the $300 would be worth it!

There will be folks who will tell you to come the day before...and usually, I agree, but it's not possible for everyone. If you're flight is on time, you are golden! You have until 90 mins prior to the ship leaving to board....just in case there is a small delay.

Thanks! Plenty of lay over time to catch the next plane so assuming nothing crazy I think I would be pretty on schedule. I personally have never been on a plane but I know I cannot sleep in a car, so I doubt a plane will be any different. Lots to think about.

So to start I am on the west coast, I will be flying out of Eugene OR to Miami. My problem is im not so sure how the ship boarding works and worried about times. We are doing a honeymoon cruise and trying to keep a budget so we can afford some excursion. I was thinking about doing a red eye flight getting into MIA around 10am if it all works out correctly. Would that be enough time to make it to the ship? One thing I can do is use NCL to get a hotel and they have the shuttle but it adds about 300$ to our budget we did not plan for as of now. Flights are within dollars. Only benefit is that I would not be super tired when I board. Has any one done a red eye and got on board and still managed to not pass out ;p

I would suggest the red eye. That way you have money to do things on board. September should be calm weather wise, so delays should be unlikely.

Have a great Honeymoon!

I would be one of those who would say go the night before.

You can find an airport hotel or a room near the port for about $120-150

and an UBER to the ship would be $20.

AND you can't put a price on not worrying about your flight being delayed

or getting to the ship late

You are coming from so far away that the cost isn't worth missing your honeymoon cruise. Have you looked at surrounding airports? Often it is cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Also, if you didn't mind leaving from PDX -- sure you had a bit of a drive, but you could get it going into FLL for $386 roundtrip pp -- would save you $100 pp -- pays for a cheap hotel near the port or FLL airport.

Have a great trip and congrats on your wedding!

I have looked at PDXC bur parking would be a pain. I have not checked FLL! need to do that. Thanks!

You are coming from so far away that the cost isn't worth missing your honeymoon cruise. Have you looked at surrounding airports? Often it is cheaper to fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Also, if you didn't mind leaving from PDX -- sure you had a bit of a drive, but you could get it going into FLL for $386 roundtrip pp -- would save you $100 pp -- pays for a cheap hotel near the port or FLL airport.

Have a great trip and congrats on your wedding!

A couple of weeks ago, flights to Florida, were delayed for hours because of President Trump flying to his home near Miami. I would not risk flying in the morning of the cruise. I have flown into FLL once and will never do it again on a red eye flight from Seattle and almost missed the ship.

I live near Walla Walla, drive to Portland and stay at the Super 8 and leave my car there. Free shuttle to and from the airport.

Best wishes

I agree with those that have recommended flying in the day before. You can definitely get a hotel for the night plus a Uber/taxi to the port in the morning for less than $200. The peace of mind in not missing embarkation would be totally worth it to me!

When is your cruise? I'll be on Escape departing Sept. 30th

I will talk with the fiance about it. My cruise is the 9th to the 16th so hopefully we miss anyou bad weather!

I agree with those that have recommended flying in the day before. You can definitely get a hotel for the night plus a Uber/taxi to the port in the morning for less than $200. The peace of mind in not missing embarkation would be totally worth it to me!

When is your cruise? I'll be on Escape departing Sept. 30th

I would suggest the red eye. That way you have money to do things on board. September should be calm weather wise, so delays should be unlikely.

Have a great Honeymoon!

September is hurricane season and can be unpredictable. I would see about how much a change fee is on plane tickets and compare that. Timing is great with no problems but honestly it is not worth worrying about if your actual wedding day is close to honeymoon trip.

Also be aware that an Eastern cruise can become a Western cruise due to a storm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Get a Marriott Chase CC spend the $2,000 or whatever you need to in the 1st 3 months to get the 75,000 Marriott Points on Wedding Expenses or whatever then use those points to book a nice hotel in Miami the night before, that way you are not stressing about missing your cruise. Or ask for Marriott Gift cards as wedding presents :)

I got trip insurance for hurricane season. Even if I plan right everything can change.

If you are going to fly in the morning of departure, you need trip insurance!! I would not attempt the cross country day of, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Just means you need a plan B and Charleston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Another vote for going the day before. We live in the same time zone and won't risk missing the boat because of a delayed flight, which is only two hours in the air. We stay at the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $159. You can see the boat from the hotel. I think the extra $200 or less is well worth it. :ship:

Thanks! Plenty of lay over time to catch the next plane so assuming nothing crazy I think I would be pretty on schedule. I personally have never been on a plane but I know I cannot sleep in a car, so I doubt a plane will be any different. Lots to think about.

Sound deadening heads sets this will help you sleep on the plane.

I will talk with the fiance about it. My cruise is the 9th to the 16th so hopefully we miss anyou bad weather!

It might not be bad weather at your departure point but there could be bad weather at your arrival point

Both cities weather matter

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We do a half dozen cruises a year. None of them as important as a honeymoon. We always fly in the day before the cruise to avoid any potential of weather delays or baggage delays. Both have happened on our day-before flights. Both have been saved by having the extra time for us and our bags to get to the embarkation port city.

You don't need a fancy hotel on South Beach. Something more affordable near the airport (with a free shuttle) would be fine. On embarkation day, leave for the port around 10 am. Get through security lines and check-in lines early (before they get long). General boarding starts around 11:30. The buffet will be open at 11:30, main dining room at noon. Enjoy your first meal on the Escape and get your vacation started!