Stuck in Freeport

On the Grandeur 2/25 cruise and in Freeport Bahamas today with a stop in Coco Cay scheduled for tomorrow. Surprise surprise weather conditions will not allow us to get into Coco Cay tomorrow. So we are overnighting in Freeport and will have another day here. Great! This is the lousiest port of call in the Bahamas. Nothing's near by and the view outside is cargo ships and a cement factory, and the typical bars and t shirt stores.

Most of the shore excursions for today were cancelled due to winds so majority of passengers are on board with few activities scheduled. I do not fault the captain for making this call. It is for the safety of the passengers. But RC seriously needs to ax this port from its itineraries.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

On the Grandeur 2/25 cruise and in Freeport Bahamas today with a stop in Coco Cay scheduled for tomorrow. Surprise surprise weather conditions will not allow us to get into Coco Cay tomorrow. So we are overnighting in Freeport and will have another day here. Great! This is the lousiest port of call in the Bahamas. Nothing's near by and the view outside is cargo ships and a cement factory, and the typical bars and t shirt stores.

Most of the shore excursions for today were cancelled due to winds so majority of passengers are on board with few activities scheduled. I do not fault the captain for making this call. It is for the safety of the passengers. But RC seriously needs to ax this port from its itineraries.

Having just experienced this last month, I agree with you 100%.

I have a feeling that our Saturday Coco Cay stop is going to wind up being a Sea Day on Enchantment of the Seas. And I completely agree that Freeport is the worst port of all ports in the Bahamas and possibly in the entire Caribbean!

We had the opposite on our 11-12-16 Grandeur cruise Freeport was closed because of Andrew. So we went to Key West instead. No one was complaining

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wrong Hurricane. Andrew was before 1993 and hit Miami. Think it may have been Matthew that hit Freeport.

With Grandeur's historical bad luck, the captain is being over cautious... :)

With Grandeur's historical bad luck, the captain is being over cautious... :)

There is supposed to be some storms in the area. We are on anthem now and we just left Nassau. Captain said to expect some higher seas tomorrow but will improve for Saturday.

Missing Coco Cay is not unusual at all. We have been scheduled to go there at least seven times; made it once.

Personally, we loved Freeport because we enjoyed seeing all the ships. Second only to a Panama Canal cruise for seeing sea commerce in action. And the water is fabulously beautiful.

We won a trip to a resort there some years ago for a week and we were so glad when that week ended! We said we would never go there again! People on CC think Nassau is bad........ well Freeport is the worst by far!

It is a shame that people have such a bad perception of Freeport. Grand Bahama Island is really gorgeous, but you have to leave the port area to fully experience the beauty of the island. Many people stay confined to the port area and don't venture anywhere else.

Renting a car is easy and inexpensive, plus you can tour around at your leisure. The island has a number of beautiful national parks and ecosystem. Lucayan National Park and Gold Rock Beach is absolutely stunning, not to mention that the Lucayan Caverns are very unique in itself, as it is one of the longest underwater cave systems in the world. Historical West End has an interest history as well as some beautiful resorts and marinas.

Get out and explore!

http://www.grandbahamavacations.com/about-the-island/highlights-and-landmarks/