American Citizens MAY need a Visa to visit the EU starting this summer.

Gishua_

Just a heads up for any American citizens traveling to the EU starting this summer. We may need to obtain a Visa to visit.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/02/518129824/eu-parliament-seeks-to-reinstate-visas-for-american-travelers

To sum it;

With the US not allowing citizens from Cyprus, Poland, Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania to use the Visa Waiver program, The European parliament called on the EU executive to force Americans to apply for Visas before the summer season begins.

Will it happen? Who knows, but stay informed so your travel is not affected.

I thought that you had to have a visa if you were American and wanted to travel to the U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

no, we can travel to uk or your soon to be brexited countries without a visa.

Europeans have had to get an e-visa for the US for years. It's called ESTA. This returns the favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The issue is not ESTA (it is not a visa), the issue is that there are some EU countries (Cyprus, Bulgaria, etc.) that are not allowed to use the Visa Waiver Program (of which ESTA is a part).

In 2014 the US, Canada and Australia all required visas for those countries. Australia and Canada either has changed to allow visa less travel, but the US has not. The State department has indicated that those countries do not have adequate security procedures in place (I suspect related to issuing passports) for the US to allow them to participate in the visa waiver program.

I suspect that if the EU follows through, then the rest of the EU countries will also be removed from the visa waiver program and travel to the US will nolonger be via ESTA, but will instead require a full visa.

You learn something new everyday. We can't come to the US without an ESTA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

An ESTA is not a Visa, it is actually part of the Visa Waiver program. A visa is far more complex and expensive.

APPLY FOR A NEW ESTA

All eligible international travelers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization.

Who You Are:

• You are a citizen or eligible national of a Visa Waiver Program country.
  • You are currently not in possession of a visitor's visa.
  • Your travel is for 90 days or less.
  • You plan to travel to the United States for business or pleasure.
  • You want to apply for a new authorization for one person or a group of applications for two or more persons.

What You Need:

• Valid passport from a Visa Waiver Program country.
  • Valid credit card (MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and Discover (JCB, Diners Club)) or PayPal to pay the US $14 per application.
  • Your contact information.
  • Your most recent employment information, if applicable.

The following is what is involved in getting a US Visa (requires interview at embassy or consulate)

How to Apply

There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.

Complete the Online Visa Application

• Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 ? Learn more about completing the DS-160. You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
  • Photo ? You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

Schedule an Interview

While interviews are generally not required for applicants of certain ages outlined below, consular officers have the discretion to require an interview of any applicant, regardless of age.

If you are age:Then an interview is:13 and youngerGenerally not required14-79Required (some exceptions for renewals)80 and olderGenerally not requiredYou must schedule an appointment for your visa interview, generally, at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. You may schedule your interview at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate, but be aware that it may be difficult to qualify for a visa outside of your place of permanent residence.

Wait times for interview appointments vary by location, season, and visa category, so you should apply for your visa early. Review the interview wait time for the location where you will apply:

Appointment Wait Time

Select a U.S. Embassy or Consulate:Where will you apply?

Prepare for Your Interview

• Fees - Pay the non-refundable visa application fee, if you are required to pay it before your interview. When your visa is approved, you may also pay a visa issuance fee, if applicable to your nationality. Fee information is provided below:

Application Fee

$160

ALL FEES

Select your nationality to see Issuance Fee

• Review the instructions available on the website of the embassy or consulate where you will apply to learn more about fee payment.

Gather Required Documentation

Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:

• Passport valid for travel to the United States - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States, unless exempt by country-specific agreements (PDF - 57 KB). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
  • Photo ? You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.

The issue is not ESTA (it is not a visa), the issue is that there are some EU countries (Cyprus, Bulgaria, etc.) that are not allowed to use the Visa Waiver Program (of which ESTA is a part).

In 2014 the US, Canada and Australia all required visas for those countries. Australia and Canada either has changed to allow visa less travel, but the US has not. The State department has indicated that those countries do not have adequate security procedures in place (I suspect related to issuing passports) for the US to allow them to participate in the visa waiver program.

I suspect that if the EU follows through, then the rest of the EU countries will also be removed from the visa waiver program and travel to the US will nolonger be via ESTA, but will instead require a full visa.

^^ THIS. It's nothing to do with tit for tat on the ESTA there are countries in the EU that don't get to just apply for an ESTA and get in they need full fledged VISAs

EU tried this on Canada a few months back I don't know how that ended

Deja vu - haven't I read another thread on exactly the same topic posted 10 minutes prior to this one ;)? Perhaps the Mods will merge them :)?

Yes...there are three of them and yes they should be merged...

^^ THIS. It's nothing to do with tit for tat on the ESTA there are countries in the EU that don't get to just apply for an ESTA and get in they need full fledged VISAs

EU tried this on Canada a few months back I don't know how that ended

Just answering my own question...found this

The U.S. was warned along with Canada, Australia, Brunei and Japan.

"Australia, Brunei and Japan have since lifted their visa requirements for all EU citizens and Canada will do so in December this year," the EU resolution states.

So according to Reuters, the European Commission has already stated it's pursuing a diplomatic solution to this concern. I believe there's a ministerial meeting scheduled for June 15, and the executive has already let one Parliamentary "deadline" pass.

US citizens spend a LOT of money in the EU. EU citizens spend a LOT of money in the US. The four nations and Cyprus probably not as much.

When it becomes the lead-in on the Post, CNN, NBC, etc., I'd be concerned...

Europeans have had to get an e-visa for the US for years. It's called ESTA. This returns the favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, it's called the VWP or visa waiver program. ESTA is simply the much newer electronic version, which has been needed for some time. You have to get ESTA in advance, whereas before, you could just get on a plane. This is WAY before the new pres mess!