Embarcation fron NCL Gem Uber vs Taxi

$hip$hape

We recently got off the NCL Gem at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

As we were heading to the Taxi stand on the other side of the street, we were asked if we were looking for a Taxi, and said yes.

From the Dispatcher, we were handed off to a driver who took our bags, then took us a block away, to, what we found out later, was an UBER driver .

On the way, we asked "HOW MUCH TO JFK?" He said $75.00, which was fine with us.

At the Airport I gave him $80.00.

It was all fine with us.

Any critiques ?

You got overcharged. Taxi fare from Manhattan to JFK is fixed at $52.80 plus tolls and tip.

Car services such as Carmel and Dial 7 generally charge about the same as the taxi fare.

Never accept solicitations for "taxi" rides from people offering them on the street. Take a taxi, order a car from car service, or get an Uber through the Uber app.

Fortunately you only paid a few dollars more than you should have. It could have been worse.

You got overcharged. Taxi fare from Manhattan to JFK is fixed at $52.80 plus tolls and tip.

Car services such as Carmel and Dial 7 generally charge about the same as the taxi fare.

Never accept solicitations for "taxi" rides from people offering them on the street. Take a taxi, order a car from car service, or get an Uber through the Uber app.

Fortunately you only paid a few dollars more than you should have. It could have been worse.

Thanks.

Hopefully we be advice to others.

We recently got off the NCL Gem at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal ... to the Taxi stand on the other side of the street, we were asked if we were looking for a Taxi, and said yes. From the Dispatcher, we were handed off to a driver who took our bags, then took us a block away, to, what we found out later, was an UBER driver . On the way, we asked "HOW MUCH TO JFK?" He said $75.00, which was fine with us. At the Airport I gave him $80.00 ...
Wow, like NJH said, you only slightly overpaid, thankfully - but this is alarming as previously reported, it was apparently happening with dispatcher claiming to be with Uber at local airports.

Just wanted to clarify, was this a "uniformed" looking dispatcher ... wearing ID's or using a clipboard - NYC taxi dispatcher or "Uber" affiliated ?? And, you got into a yellow taxi first & driven for a block away to be transferred into an Uber car for the trip - didn't pay for the ride/fare using the App, handed over cash :eek:

This is bad news if true, involving the dispatcher, a shuttle taxi/driver and the actual "Uber" car/driver - below the radar ... worthy of filing a report with the regulatory folks, NYC's TLC. We will be using MCT in a few weeks ourself and going to keep our eyes open for something similar - just a matter of time before someone unsuspecting get taken for a real expensive ride, not good, not at all.

Wow, like NJH said, you only slightly overpaid, thankfully - but this is alarming as previously reported,

it was apparently happening with dispatcher claiming to be with Uber at local airports.

Just wanted to clarify, Was this a "uniformed" looking dispatcher ... wearing ID's or using a clipboard - NYC taxi dispatcher or "Uber" affiliated ?? And, you got into a yellow taxi first & driven for a block away to be transferred into an Uber car for the trip - didn't pay for the ride/fare using the App, handed over cash :eek:

This is bad news if true, involving the dispatcher, a shuttle taxi/driver and the actual "Uber" car/driver - below the radar ... worthy of filing a report with the regulatory folks, NYC's TLC. We will be using MCT in a few weeks ourself and going to keep our eyes open for something similar - just a matter of time before someone unsuspecting get taken for a real expensive ride, not good, not at all.

This was a non-uniformed Uber dispatcher.

As we were crossing the street, we saw only two Yellow Taxis left available at the taxi stand.

He asked if we were looking for a Taxi and I said yes.

As the driver loaded our luggage into the trunk I took down his NY licence plate # and asked who he worked for.

When we got into the SUV, he showed me on his screen: Uber.

BTW the service was good.

Edited by $hip$hape

You got overcharged.

Taxi fare from Manhattan to JFK is fixed at $52.80 plus tolls and tip.

Never accept solicitations for "taxi" rides from people offering them on the street.

Take a taxi, order a car from car service, or get an Uber through the Uber app.

This is what I found:

How much does a taxi cost from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to JFK Airport in New York, NY, USA ?

Estimated fare for this trip is $ 96.72.

Starting time:17:10

Distance: 40.67 km.

Duration: 50 min.

Taxi fare breakdownJump in the taxi$ 2.5040.67 km. x $ 1.55 per km$ 63.20Waiting in traffic (~35 min.)

$ 17.54Customary tip (15%)

$ 12.48Peak hour surcharge$ 1.00New york state tax surcharge$ 0.50

Total$ 96.72

As said before ,

Getting into the car / Uber, we asked the driver, "HOW MUCH TO JFK?"

He said $75.00, which was fine with us.

At JFK Airport, I gave him $80.00.

Edited by $hip$hape

This is what I found:

How much does a taxi cost from manhattan cruise terminal to jfk airport in New York, NY, USA ?

Taxi fare breakdownJump in the taxi$ 2.5040.67 km. x $ 1.55 per km$ 63.20Waiting in traffic (~35 min.)

Total$ 96.72

thats using a meter. Manhattan to JFK is suppose to be flat rate fee according to the TLC page: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml#AirportTrips

The JFK taxi ride from anywhere in Manhattan is a flat rate, plus a nominal surcharge, toll is $5.54 going up to $5.74 soon (rough number rounding) and even with about 20% tipping - max'd out at $70 cash or credit/debit card (if accepted). There is a $4.50 PM rush hour surcharge (4 to 8 PM) & generally not applicable to major of cruise ship pax heading to JFK, unless they are catching a late evening flight.

The "Uber" driver of course, very happy with $80 and also not having to get his "Uber" fees deducted from his net. If this ride was weekend morning, highway traffic is relatively smooth even down on I-678 at/near Grand Central Parkway split down thru Union Tpke to Hillside Ave/Main Street - so, easily a quick 45 minutes ride zipping thru cashless toll via Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Recent news article on fake Uber dispatcher, going back several months ago - some of us knew, it was just a matter of time before they find their way over to the piers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/stevenpetrow/2016/10/12/fake-uber-drivers-dont-become-next-victim/91903508/

http://nypost.com/2016/10/23/uber-warns-of-fake-driver-scam-spike-at-city-airports/

Lastly, Carmel car service (which we generally used ourselves - Dial7 prices often a little higher) is $52 or $57 for a 4 door sedan, standard or luxury, $68 for a minivan before a $3 digital coupon discount. We typically request one leaving the secured CBP area downstairs, pause & call/order our ride on the APP, and the wait is at little as 5 to 7 minutes, 10 minutes or less usually - it will take that much time just to walk outside with the crowds (even when using porter services) & cross 12th Ave. Add $5.54 to $5.74 for toll + 20% tip, even cheaper than a taxi.

Edited by mking8288

The JFK taxi ride from anywhere in Manhattan is a flat rate, plus a nominal surcharge, toll is $5.54 going up to $5.74 soon (rough number rounding) and even with about 20% tipping - max'd out at $70 cash or credit/debit card (if accepted). There is a $4.50 PM rush hour surcharge (4 to 8 PM) & generally not applicable to major of cruise ship pax heading to JFK, unless they are catching a late evening flight.

The "Uber" driver of course, very happy with $80 and also not having to get his "Uber" fees deducted from his net. If this ride was weekend morning, highway traffic is relatively smooth even down on I-678 at/near Grand Central Parkway split down thru Union Tpke to Hillside Ave/Main Street - so, easily a quick 45 minutes ride zipping thru cashless toll via Queens Midtown Tunnel.

Recent news article on fake Uber dispatcher, going back several months ago - some of us knew, it was just a matter of time before they find their way over to the piers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/stevenpetrow/2016/10/12/fake-uber-drivers-dont-become-next-victim/91903508/

http://nypost.com/2016/10/23/uber-warns-of-fake-driver-scam-spike-at-city-airports/

mking8288

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post.

mking8288

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post.

Ditto to that. This is very disturbing. I still remember the gypsy cabs. I'm not a big taxi user, but in NYC I've always felt comfortable getting into a licensed yellow cab in midtown. $hip$hape's experience taking an unregistered 'Uber' ride is like paying money to hitchhike with a total stranger from Manhattan to JFK.

This is what I found:

How much does a taxi cost from Manhattan Cruise Terminal to JFK Airport in New York, NY, USA ?

Total$ 96.72

As said before ,

Getting into the car / Uber, we asked the driver, "HOW MUCH TO JFK?"

He said $75.00, which was fine with us.

At JFK Airport, I gave him $80.00.

You don't say where you found that tidbit of misinformation, but as I said in my original response to your post, the taxi fare between Manhattan and JFK is a fixed flat rate.

Ditto to that. This is very disturbing. I still remember the gypsy cabs. I'm not a big taxi user, but in NYC I've always felt comfortable getting into a licensed yellow cab in midtown. $hip$hape's experience taking an unregistered 'Uber' ride is like paying money to hitchhike with a total stranger from Manhattan to JFK.

It sounds as if this "Uber" was a Gypsy cab. There are still plenty of these hustlers at the NY airport. If you're using Uber use the app. If you want a medallion yellow taxi then go to the official taxi stand. Buyer beware.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any "Taxi" in New York City, Uber/Lyft/Black Car (Carmel/Dial7), Medallion (Yellow or Green) or even a Stretch Limo for hire must have NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission plates. New York at the top and "TLC" at the bottom, TLC sticker in window and TLC License displayed.

tlc2_zpsvpseuwxd.jpg

tlc1_zpsxazshgek.jpg

Any "Taxi" in New York City, Uber/Lyft/Black Car (Carmel/Dial7), Medallion (Yellow or Green) or even a Stretch Limo for hire must have NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission plates. New York at the top and "TLC" at the bottom, TLC sticker in window and TLC License displayed.quote]

From the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, we took what was available.

No problem with Uber.

Any "Taxi" in New York City, Uber/Lyft/Black Car (Carmel/Dial7), Medallion (Yellow or Green) or even a Stretch Limo for hire must have NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission plates. New York at the top and "TLC" at the bottom, TLC sticker in window and TLC License displayed.quote]

From the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, we took what was available.

No problem with Uber.

I don't know how that could've been a legit Uber since it wasn't scheduled or paid for through the app.

Any "Taxi" in New York City, Uber/Lyft/Black Car (Carmel/Dial7), Medallion (Yellow or Green) or even a Stretch Limo for hire must have NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission plates. New York at the top and "TLC" at the bottom, TLC sticker in window and TLC License displayed.

tlc2_zpsvpseuwxd.jpg

tlc1_zpsxazshgek.jpg

There are certain regulations even though they have those TLC plates. They can't just roam around looking to pick up fares. They need to be called by the pax if they are not medallion cabs. Medallion cabs are the only ones who can legally be hailed off the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums