Longer cruises and the 1 botttle of wine per person rule

Kinkacruiser

We have a 33 day cruise later this year (Aus - Hawaii + Tahiti) and would be keen to know if recent cruisers on similar length voyages have experienced any leniency re the 1 bottle of wine per person per cruise rule?

It would be lovely if we could replenish stocks in Hawaii or other ports without paying the extra corkage. Maybe Princess could extend the limit per person for cruises over a month?

We have a 33 day cruise later this year (Aus - Hawaii + Tahiti) and would be keen to know if recent cruisers on similar length voyages have experienced any leniency re the 1 bottle of wine per person per cruise rule?

It would be lovely if we could replenish stocks in Hawaii or other ports without paying the extra corkage. Maybe Princess could extend the limit per person for cruises over a month?

My experience has been that the policy doesn't change depending upon the length of a single cruise.

If the cruise could be booked as multiple segments then you may be able to have one fee free bottle per segment. Sometimes they'll let you bring the bottles for the other segments during embarkation; sometimes they won't depending upon how the wine bottle checker interprets the policy.

I've never had any problems bringing wine onboard from any ports of call around the world. I plan to pay the $15 fee but have never been charged when bringing it onboard from a port. I never attempt to conceal our wine and the only comment I've ever heard was nice bottle of wine.

Since we mostly enjoy our wine with dinner we either pay the $15 corkage fee sooner or later. ;) That may also be true for many other passengers and maybe that's why they are lenient & not charging corkage when bringing wine from ports.

We have brought in a bottle of wine from dozens of ports without a problem. Just put it through the scanner and go to our cabin. We have even asked the crew and they told us it is OK. If there's a desk there, just ignore it. Mostly there for hard liquor I think.

"The collection table onboard is so far away from security check the guys at the table would be none the wiser if you should check in or not "

It seems to be run on the honor system...and I am not always honorable. :evilsmile:

Original port of embarkation they check the wine - although they didn't mention my wife's bottle in carry on last time even though they had just mentioned mine and her bottle wasn't concealed in any way. It's a "one size fits all" rule so a round the world cruise and a 1 day cruise have the same rules. (Bizarre but that's how it is...)

Like others, we have brought wine onboard at a port of call and nothing was said. We actually brought two large bottles of Kahlua onboard one time in Mexico and they mentioned them but just said not to drink it onboard. Maybe they were lenient because they were specialty shapes of bottles that "should" be souvenirs for other people. We just stuck them in our empty suitcase under the bed and took them home unopened which is what we had wanted to do in the first place.

It's a "one size fits all" rule so a round the world cruise and a 1 day cruise have the same rules. (Bizarre but that's how it is...)

Not quite.

A round-the-world cruise is composed of several segments and each segment allows a bottle to be brought on board without a corkage charge at embarkation time. When done properly by the shore staff, bottles for all the segments should be able to come on board without a fee at the initial embarkation.

I recently brought 4 bottles of red wine and 3 bottles of sparkling on board as part of my luggage (in a separate sports bag just for the booze). Was not questioned, however I was charged $15 corkage each time I brought a bottle to dinner (except for the first two times - winner!)

Friends also brought several bottles of wine on board - declared - and paid $15 per bottle corkage at embarkation. The bottles were tagged with a sticker to indicate that corkage had been pre-paid.

"The collection table onboard is so far away from security check the guys at the table would be none the wiser if you should check in or not "

It seems to be run on the honor system...and I am not always honorable. :evilsmile:

That's one loophole I always take advantage of.....especially easy to walk past during busy boarding times.:halo: