Important note when using Visa points for a cruise discount

Clarea

Thanks for sharing your recent experience. Every time I went to use my points for anything other than OBC there were so many "ifs","buts" and "sorry, no" that I threw in the towel. I even emailed RCCL/C&A explaining my reason for ditching the card but from our back and forth they clearly still believe that the card offers tremendous "value". I explained that it was no longer competitive and they did not deny that comment. I am not surprised that value to them is not the same as what I perceive as value.

Good luck - maybe your TA will be willing to try one more time. I cannot find the logic in their decision.

I believe the travel insurance is only available on a Costco business Visa Signature card. We are also moving away from the BofA RCI card. We may try the Costco card.

I have it on my Costco citibank card and it isn't a business card. I know others use that card for the cancellation insurance, of course you have to pay for the majority of the cost of the cruise with that card. Never had to use it and actually we never buy cancellation insurance so it's a bonus we wouldn't have purchased.

Bob,

I feel your pain. Booked on Empress (4/24). They changed from 5 nts. to 4 with no notice. Found the info. here on CC [emoji35] Royal offered chump change. Their arrogance is unbelievable for a "hospitality" company. I prefer Celebrity but it's the same company. [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have the CostCo signature card (not business). This is what they cover. From the Citi Website:

Included with Your Card

Even the best-laid travel plans can go awry, but you don’t need to worry about the unexpected when you purchase a trip at least in part with your Citi card. You may recover non-refundable expenses up to $3,000 for each covered traveler if your trip is cancelled or interrupted for reasons like sickness, injury or severe weather.

• You must have paid for at least a portion of the trip with your Citi card. In the event of partial payment, we will only reimburse the lesser of the actual amount you paid for with your Citi card or the maximum coverage per trip.
  • Trip Cancellation coverage begins on the day the trip was purchased and ends on the trip departure date.
  • Trip Interruption coverage begins on the trip departure date and ends on the trip completion date.
  • Click here for important and full details on the coverage.

Do they understand who they are messing with? Do they know it is Bob... God of CC? Clarea... knower of all things RC?

Wow, I bet if they knew.....

:)

That was probably why they wouldn't transfer the credit....[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I was about to apply for my discount but now having second thoughts. I don't "think" I'll want to upgrade..but..might find a deal I can't pass up.

So...is it for sure (as sure as you can be with RCI) that if I apply it for obc I can cash out???

Yes, so far OBC from Visa points has been fully refundable.

I have it on my Costco citibank card and it isn't a business card. I know others use that card for the cancellation insurance, of course you have to pay for the majority of the cost of the cruise with that card. Never had to use it and actually we never buy cancellation insurance so it's a bonus we wouldn't have purchased.

I have the CostCo signature card (not business). This is what they cover. From the Citi Website:

Included with Your Card

Even the best-laid travel plans can go awry, but you don’t need to worry about the unexpected when you purchase a trip at least in part with your Citi card. You may recover non-refundable expenses up to $3,000 for each covered traveler if your trip is cancelled or interrupted for reasons like sickness, injury or severe weather.

• You must have paid for at least a portion of the trip with your Citi card. In the event of partial payment, we will only reimburse the lesser of the actual amount you paid for with your Citi card or the maximum coverage per trip.
  • Trip Cancellation coverage begins on the day the trip was purchased and ends on the trip departure date.
  • Trip Interruption coverage begins on the trip departure date and ends on the trip completion date.
  • Click here for important and full details on the coverage.

Thank you for the update. When I checked the website at Costco, there was no Signature consumer card listed. Oh well, somebodies website is obviously outdated (COSTCO).

I'll check it out now that I've got better, more recent information.

I am not sure why, but if you want to upgrade to a suite in the 50k point cat it is excluded. The others seem ok

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/royal_web_program_rules_07_29_16.pdf

I used the 50K points for a straight $500 discount. I did not try to redeem the points for an Upgrade or Free cruise.

Thanks for sharing. Another reason I have ditched this RCCL visa card. Too many rules. I went with the Barclay card because I get 2% back on all travel including excursions booked outside royal, hotels, restaurants, taxis, etc. and of course cruises on all lines. I know there are many others that I could have chosen and they all are much better. I would get rid of this card as fast as I could.

I cashed in my last 5000 points on my next cruise, then I'm canceling. B of A had decent customer service as far as disputes over charges.

I am going to use my points for OBC on my next cruise and then get the heck away from B of A. I have closed all of my other accounts with them because their customer service is so terrible. It's funny how people have such different experiences.

We have thought about getting RCI card but have decided with all the issues we are going to stick with our Capital One and just use our points for statement credits to pay for our travel rather than dealing with the cruise line. Captial One also does not charge a foreign transaction fee. The last I heard the RCI card does.

I also cashed in 10k points for obc for our May cruise. I was emailed immediately a confirmation which she explained the wording so their would be no confusion on my part. redeemed 5,000 value points value 5k quantity 2....

Which is $ 100 Obc.

Perhaps you can rcl and ask for the redemption desk and get this email

We have thought about getting RCI card but have decided with all the issues we are going to stick with our Capital One and just use our points for statement credits to pay for our travel rather than dealing with the cruise line. Captial One also does not charge a foreign transaction fee. The last I heard the RCI card does.

Same here, I like getting the 1.5% on everything.