Pre-cruise hotel suggestion for Vancouver

Jfeasel

My in-laws have never cruised before and decided to take my daughter (22) and her twin cousins (18) on an Alaskan cruise sailing out of Vancouver in June on the Celebrity Millenium. They are flying in the day before and need hotel suggestions preferably that offer a shuttle to the dock or are a close cab ride away. Any suggestions?

Edited by Jfeasel

My in-laws have never cruised before and decided to take my daughter (22) and her twin cousins (18) on an Alaskan cruise sailing out of Vancouver in June on the Celebrity Millenium. They are flying in the day before and need hotel suggestions preferably that offer a shuttle to the dock or are a close cab ride away. Any suggestions?

We used the Metropolitan Hotel (six blocks from the cruise terminal) for a week prior to taking a Canadian Rockies Bus Tour, then returning for two nights at the Pan Pacific Vancouver.

The Metropolitan had a super rate. I think we paid about $150 US per night.

The Pan Pacific is wonderful, located on top of the cruise terminal, right on the water. The rate was almost $400 per night.

Last May we stayed at Hotel Blu (boutique hotel) which was terrific! Great location, walking distance to several good restaurants and a short cab hop to the terminal. Highly recommend...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Vancouver's downtown core is pretty small and walkable, so if you choose a hotel downtown, you'll be no more than 10 minutes from the pier by taxi from most locations.

if you're looking for something really nice, I suggest the Fairmont Pacific Rim. it's my favourite to stay in downtown... great location and beautiful rooms. it's not cheap, but nothing in vancouver is ;)

We cruised the Millenium last summer, and stayed for 2 nights before the cruise at the Pinnacle. It was 2 blocks from the waterfront, and about 3-4 blocks from the terminal. We walked all over downtown, and to the aquarium in Stanley Park. This hotel was well placed for touring on foot.

They are flying in the day before and need hotel suggestions preferably that offer a shuttle to the dock or are a close cab ride away. Any suggestions?

You never mentioned a price range. Staying near the airport is cheaper than staying downtown.

The skytrain from the airport and nearby hotels will get you downtown within a block of the pier.

We have stayed at Marriott hotels near the airport and downtown as well as the airport holiday inn.

Any airport hotel will have a shuttle from the airport but not to the ship. A taxi for 4 would be the best bet for getting downtown.

We've taken the skytrain twice, stayed downtown once.

You can also check the port information on the threads.

We've stayed at the Pan Pacific several times prior to sailing out of Vancouver which is located at Canada Place directly over the cruise terminal. It's conveniently located to Gastown, has beautiful habour view rooms and the bellman takes your luggage down to the cruise ship for guests.

We also stayed at the Pan Pacific and we loved it. The Fairmont Waterfront is also very close to the cruise terminal just across the street from the Pan Pacific. Had friends that stayed at the Auberge and they said it was very nice and the hotel porters helped get the luggage to the cruise port. It was very crazy in the actual cruise terminal with people that had to check their own luggage so the Pan Pacific was great in that they just came to our room and got it and took it directly to the ship.

If they have booked a Royal Suite or Penthouse, please skip this post as it does not apply to them.

But if price matters, I don't think you can go wrong booking any 4 star or above hotel in Vancouver's Downtown-Coal Harbour area on Priceline or Hotwire

(using their Hot Rate Hotels or Express Deals).

We have done this many times through the years, not knowing for sure in advance which hotel we would get, but have never been disappointed with any Vancouver hotel we got this way.

The price we paid was always far lower than booking either directly with the hotel or with booking agencies where you know which hotel you are getting in advance.

The hotels were all walking distance to the Canada Place port, and about a $5 - $10 taxi ride on embarkation day with our luggage.

We like to walk over to the Pan Pacific to enjoy the views, while paying a lot less and staying at a very nice hotel a few blocks away.

I would recommend arriving at least a few days before the cruise (or staying afterwards). Vancouver is a wonderful city with lots to see and experience; one of the very best ports of all.

(You can save even more money if you have the time and patience to go through Name Your Own Price bidding on Priceline, which we unfortunately don't.) ;p

Edited by varoo

Does anyone have any experience with the Shangri La hotel in Vancouver?

Just hospitality (living downtown I don't tend to make much use of hotel rooms!) - good location, good dining options. Tallest building in the city but the hotel part stops at 15th floor, unfortunately meaning that views are not a factor in any of the rooms.

If I'm parsing the above correctly, this is granny/grampa plus 3 adult grandkids traveling together for 5 people total? The only hotel that offers a true room for 5 is the YWCA - which is a great option if they can tolerate 'staying at the Y' - and is by far the best bargain anywhere in the region.

Other large-room hotels in downtown include the Delta Suites and Rosedale on Robson (a condo hotel - has some 2-bedroom units with sofabeds); if they were planning to book 2 or 3 separate rooms any hotel downtown fits the distance criteria, but because of our compact downtown core hotels with shuttles are almost non-existent.

The Hampton Inn is the only one that springs to mind with an actual shuttle bus - and it's a generic 'drop anywhere downtown' service, first-come first-served, so there's no guarantee of it being available to take you to the pier when you want to go. Many of the swanky boutique hotels offer a towncar dropoff - but that's not going to handle five people, let alone their luggage, even if it's available on cruise morning.

2 taxis will be required if the hotel isn't within walking distance - many are! We don't have any local cabs that fit more than 5 pax (and the 5th would sit in a dropdown seat in the rear wheelchair area, which is also luggage storage, so if they have 1 large suitcase each they can't get both people and cases in). From most hotels downtown, the metered fare will run $10-15 incl tip on cruise morning (traffic is slow near the pier, limited access, so the meter keeps on ticking).

Airport area hotels work just fine for a bed for the night after a late flight in. They do crimp sightseeing though if your family would be coming in early enough to do some pre-cruise days. On cruise morning, there's one independent shuttle company that picks up near the airport and brings you right to the pier for $15pp. SkyTrain is also fast, clean, safe, and cheap - especially from stations not at the airport itself since they levy an extra charge of $5pp inbound. Most 'airport' hotels though are not on Sea Island with YVR, but the other side of the bridge in Richmond so you can board at a no-extra-fee station like Bridgeport or Aberdeen. $4pp weekdays, $2.75 if the in-laws are >65.

Edited by martincath
double spacing

We've had great experiences at The Blue Horizon on Robson. Large rooms, great staff, only a few blocks from the port. Lots of great places to eat and shop close to the hotel.

We also stayed at the Blue Horizon . A friend that lives in Vancouver picked it out for us. Perfect and reasonable

The last time that we were on Alaska cruise, we stayed at Fairmont Waterfront. It was lovely, but not practical for us. This time, we are staying at the Residence Inn by Marriot- a short 5-10 minute taxi ride from the pier. We are coming by way of Quick Shuttle from Seattle, which will drop us off right at the hotel. Our room will have a refrigerator and microwave. There is a laundry a 3 minute walk. The Stanley Park shuttle also stops in front. There are also reasonable and cheap restaurants within a block or two of the hotel and a supermarket. The two of us spent about $75 just for breakfast when we were at the Fairmont. For us it just wasn't good value. I'm still glad that we did stay at the waterfront the first time, as it really was beautiful.