Ship to shore calls

europe14

Can anyone tell me how much it costs to make a ship to shore (calling U.S) from the phone in your cabin? I know it was only $1.99 a minute on Carnival, but I think I read somewhere it is more on HAL? Thanks.

I don't remember the exact cost for a ship to shore phone call from my stateroom, but it was not inexpensive to my wallet. But, it was "cheap" to my peace of mind.

I made it because of concerns about whether I left my condo's thermostat at a proper temperature due to the extremely low temperatures I was seeing on CNN. I made my call to my friend who was overseeing my home while I was gone. A higher electricity bill would be less than what I would experience if water pipes froze.

In your stateroom, there will be a notice as to what a ship to shore call will cost/minute.

As a side note: the call was connected as routinely and quickly as calling someone across the street. I was surprised. Modern technology can be amazing!

I can't remember why I think this, but I have it in my head that a call from ship to shore, using the phone in your cabin, is $8/minute.

I do recall a time when it was $16/minute, and remember that it was reduced significantly. There is also a coupon in the coupon book, should you get one.

Look at the already booked section on the HAL website then the FAQ section and click on "telephone" (I think). This section will give you all the information you need about telephone services on HAL, including emergency ship numbers that I always print off and give to my family. I believe the cost is $15-16 USD per minute using the ship's phone. I can understand peace of mind, or an emergency. However, I would look into other less expensive ways to make a phone call. Wait until you are in a port and use your cell phone (check with your carrier to see international deals). I am with Verizon and I can get a $10 per day charge if I use the phone each day (some days I don't need to use it), or an overall $40 international charge but with certain limits (texting etc.). When on the ship, I keep all my data turned off on the phone and keep it on airplane mode, but can access internet quickly if I want to to check email (no charges except internet time on ship). I usually get the $40 international plan and that allows me to quickly turn on my data, check emails and text messages and any voicemails. I also live in the mountain area and get snow in winter, so have had a wireless thermostat installed in my home with an app on my phone for this, so I can check my heating in my house from anywhere in the world and even adjust temperature up and down! Did this at Cape Horn and on the Falklands and other places in the world!

4 weeks ago on the Rotterdam had to make a call home and it was about 18 minutes for $182.

I was also on the Rotterdam a month ago and had to call home. The price for calls was not in the information about phoning from the ship but my call was $143.10 for about 9 to 10 minutes.

Canada has a $10.00 per day in Europe. Would it work on a transatlantic crossing while at sea?

My understanding with rogers and telus in Canada that once you are showing "cellular at sea" as the network there are no packages that work to cut down costs. You pay per minute/text/MB....the $10 per day is for international roaming and only included countries