Europe - Bringing food and drink on board

WonderMan3

I will be sailing on Constellation soon and will visit ports in Italy and Spain. Does anyone know if Celebrity has any restrictions on food and drink that you can bring on board with you, either when embarking or during port stops? Wasn't sure if there were customs type rules that prevent certain foods from coming on board.

Specifically I'm curious about things like fresh cheeses or fresh meat like prosciutto. I've brought pastries and the like on board in the past and never had an issue. And what about specialty liqueurs like limoncello or grappa? If you buy at a port stop will they take those when you board and hold them until the end of the cruise, or are those okay to consume in your cabin since I don't think the cruise line sells those products on board?

I will be sailing on Constellation soon and will visit ports in Italy and Spain. Does anyone know if Celebrity has any restrictions on food and drink that you can bring on board with you, either when embarking or during port stops? Wasn't sure if there were customs type rules that prevent certain foods from coming on board.

Specifically I'm curious about things like fresh cheeses or fresh meat like prosciutto. I've brought pastries and the like on board in the past and never had an issue. And what about specialty liqueurs like limoncello or grappa? If you buy at a port stop will they take those when you board and hold them until the end of the cruise, or are those okay to consume in your cabin since I don't think the cruise line sells those products on board?

Never had a problem bringing such food items on board a =X= ship.

Booze a different issue. If they find it, they take it, whether or not it is sold on the ship.

Not entirely certain about cheese and salami though I do have a hazy memory of someone being refused to bring a pizza takeaway on board! Liqueurs would indeed be held until the end of the cruise.

I did a Baltic with Celebrity and we frequently brought beer and wine back on board with us from ports. A few times the crew even joked "where's the party?" when we came back on board.

I think the overall feeling about liquor is pretty relaxed in Europe, but your milage may vary. ;)

I would ask the crew about meat/cheese when you disembark for that port. Then they can give you specific information that would be applicable to your situation.

We've brought wine and spirits back on board many times, and normally it isn't taken away, although we accept that their policy is to hold it until the end of the cruise. I think our secret is that we look pretty well-behaved. ;)

Asking the crew as we come to each port is fine but we will also be spending a few days in Rome before embarkation and we were going to do a little shopping for snacks and such to bring on board. Didn't want to buy any cheeses and meats only to have them confiscated when we embark; would just be a waste of money.

Asking the crew as we come to each port is fine but we will also be spending a few days in Rome before embarkation and we were going to do a little shopping for snacks and such to bring on board. Didn't want to buy any cheeses and meats only to have them confiscated when we embark; would just be a waste of money.

Unless you are going to eat it all right away there isn't a cold place to store it. The cabins have coolers not refridgerators so I'm not sure how long the food would stay good.

Took meat, cheeses, breads on board when in Barcelona with no problem. Taking them ashore is a much a different issue. Most countries won't allow meat and cheese in particular. But, as mentioned above, ask the crew in each port for the latest rules.