So no more southern fried chicken on the everyday menu...

frayedend

I'm just a tiny bit concerned. My kids (both teens now) always had a fallback position for a meal with the fried chicken. I'm looking at the new American Feast menus and so many things are items they would choose but then they throw in a deal breaker, like adding peas to ziti. WTH? I suppose my kids will be fine with just grilled chicken or steak (one of them eats steak one doesn't). Maybe I can get them to try some new stuff. Oh well they can always get pizza after dinner. :)

I'd try ordering the ziti without the peas... I imagine that if it's a dish they would like except for a 'deal breaker', they could ask that item to be left off...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If there's anything I have learned from the internet, it's that people LOVE to complain!

I don't think my post was really a complaint so much as an observation. I never went on Carnival before the fried chicken but I wouldn't have complained about it being added. I have the opposite problem as my kids. I see multiple items every night that I want to try. I know I can order multiple but don't really want to be a glutton. LOL

I'd try ordering the ziti without the peas... I imagine that if it's a dish they would like except for a 'deal breaker', they could ask that item to be left off...

Yeah I wasn't sure about that. The way it sounded on the menu I'd assume they already have the peas mixed in. I have one kid that will try anything and the other that has an absolutely horrible diet. He just won't eat good food and he lives with his Mom so I don't have a lot of say to change his diet.

Does anyone know if the "chicken tenders" on the kids menu are crap patty stuff or real chicken?

In any case I'm not worried about this and I'm not complaining. They will find something to eat either in MDR or at the buffet/pizza etc.

Ok not bashing people who are picky eaters. But I find it really funny when people claim they aren't picky but then are insistent that they can't find anything they like on the menu. That MAKES you picky.

Just order stuff and try something new. You never know you might like it. And if you end up not liking it you can always order something else (I've seen people do this) or grab some pizza or a sandwich after. Look at is a time to try new things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't think my post was really a complaint so much as an observation. I never went on Carnival before the fried chicken but I wouldn't have complained about it being added. I have the opposite problem as my kids. I see multiple items every night that I want to try. I know I can order multiple but don't really want to be a glutton. LOL

I wasn't meaning that you specifically were complaining. Sorry if it came across that way. It was more of a general statement.

Yeah....they changed the menu to get you to eat at the Steakhouse every night. So let me see if I have this right, no buffet, nothing (as in at all) on the menu for 3 nights, doesn't sound pick to me either......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of course they did not change it exclusively for me, question is did they lower the quality so more people would eat at the $$ restaurants.

Over half of the AT menu is the same. Glad you had an open mind about it tho..... Sounds like Carnival is not for you, if you think the whole menu is awful.... Happy cruising

I've had 8 cruises with Carnival before trying the AT menu on my 9th cruise. Always loved the old menu and always had something I enjoyed each night, and if I didn't then the southern fried chicken was there. I'll say it again, the new menu s*cks! Do you have any recommendations if not Carnival? Or should I stop cruising altogether?

Of course they did not change it exclusively for me, question is did they lower the quality so more people would eat at the $$ restaurants.

While I do not know for sure, my guess is no. They can handle about 100 People in the steakhouse a night. They entice people to go there by offering free (or highly discounted) wine. To me the menu and food in the MDR is mostly the same. Cruising is evolving. There are many more people choosing alternative eating including pay and lido.

Sent from my iPhone

I've had 8 cruises with Carnival before trying the AT menu on my 9th cruise. Always loved the old menu and always had something I enjoyed each night, and if I didn't then the southern fried chicken was there. I'll say it again, the new menu s*cks! Do you have any recommendations if not Carnival? Or should I stop cruising altogether?

Seems you have made your mind up on Carnival food (which is fine). Generally speaking (not so much me but from here) people think Carnivals MDR food a slight notch above the other main lines. Try a five star

Sent from my iPhone

Ok not bashing people who are picky eaters. But I find it really funny when people claim they aren't picky but then are insistent that they can't find anything they like on the menu. That MAKES you picky.

Just order stuff and try something new. You never know you might like it. And if you end up not liking it you can always order something else (I've seen people do this) or grab some pizza or a sandwich after. Look at is a time to try new things.

Let's put it this way, are there things on the menu every night I would eat, yes, absolutely. Are there things on the menu I would look forward to and not miss like the old menu, NO, none at all. I eat plenty of pizza and sandwiches here, I want something nicer when I'm on vacation. That's just me and no reflection on anyone else or what anyone else likes to eat.

I'm looking forward to the answer to this. Personally I'm thinking about trying MSC. There is nothing anymore on Carnival that is "can't miss" and they have removed a lot of the things I liked. It's just an incentive to try other lines for me and MSC matches status. If I don't like MSC I can try another line or a land vacation.

Overall the quality of food on Carnival as far as MDR isn't all that great. But the price of the cruise is pretty darn low. Considering that I'd say the food is pretty good. I don't necessarily go on vacation to have great fancy meals so I'm pretty happy with what they offer. I will say that I have thought the pizza and deli were very very good. I was more impressed with Carnival food outside the MDR than I was on Royal C. But I haven't been on Royal in quite a long time. I cruise for the convenience and price. When I don't cruise I find that food can be a huge add on expense that eats into the other fun.

I think I posted this thread for a couple of reasons. First to confirm there is no more fried chicken every night and second to see what other alternatives there may be that I'm missing. What we all like and consider "picky" or not is a very individual thing and we definitely don't need to be fighting about that. Heck we are here because we are going to cruise, which is awesome and fun. So have a great time everyone. :D Thanks for all the replies as well.

Let's put it this way, are there things on the menu every night I would eat, yes, absolutely. Are there things on the menu I would look forward to and not miss like the old menu, NO, none at all. I eat plenty of pizza and sandwiches here, I want something nicer when I'm on vacation. That's just me and no reflection on anyone else or what anyone else likes to eat.

Like I said....it's fine. If there is nothing there you like then move on to another line. It will not change by leaps and bounds. Not on Carnival, RCI, NCL, Celebrity, Disney or MSC (probably missing some). Try a five star.

Overall the quality of food on Carnival as far as MDR isn't all that great. But the price of the cruise is pretty darn low. Considering that I'd say the food is pretty good. I don't necessarily go on vacation to have great fancy meals so I'm pretty happy with what they offer. I will say that I have thought the pizza and deli were very very good. I was more impressed with Carnival food outside the MDR than I was on Royal C. But I haven't been on Royal in quite a long time. I cruise for the convenience and price. When I don't cruise I find that food can be a huge add on expense that eats into the other fun.

I think I posted this thread for a couple of reasons. First to confirm there is no more fried chicken every night and second to see what other alternatives there may be that I'm missing. What we all like and consider "picky" or not is a very individual thing and we definitely don't need to be fighting about that. Heck we are here because we are going to cruise, which is awesome and fun. So have a great time everyone. :D Thanks for all the replies as well.

Fried chicken which used to be on the every day comfort food is only offered once on a 7 day (I believe). I don't think the discussion is fighting.... At least not on my part. I do like different view discussions though, they are part of what makes Cruisecritic work.

On a more related note, I never had the fried chicken in the MDR, but it did look pretty good.

Fried chicken which used to be on the every day comfort food is only offered once on a 7 day (I believe). I don't think the discussion is fighting.... At least not on my part. I do like different view discussions though, they are part of what makes Cruisecritic work.

On a more related note, I never had the fried chicken in the MDR, but it did look pretty good.

Always thought their were better things to have than fried chicken on a cruise dinnertime.

We have had the American Table Menu for 3 cruises. It is horrible. I am shocked that Carnival continues to roll it out. It has so many complaints to deaf ears.

Another "horrible"....let's see that make 2 1/2 just today alone. I wonder how Carnival has not reacted to this already.... Curiously, how many items are the same as before would you say?

There are at least 2 days where there is NO entree that I want, and a 3rd that is iffy, and I don't consider myself picky. I don't care for buffets, we're probably going to eat in the steakhouse at least 2 days and possibly 3. Maybe that's their intention. I COULD always find something on the old menus that I liked. I promise I would not starve if I didn't eat anything at all the whole cruise. But I'm not going to eat food I don't care for.

Well, if you can't find even one thing that you like/want, are you sure you are not picky? I would consider that being picky. Because there are plenty of choices every evening.

Well, if you can't find even one thing that you like/want, then you might want to start considering yourself picky. Because there are plenty of choices every night.

Thanks, but I don't think I will. There are choices, most of the choices I consider to be bad. Now my best friend..who does not eat nuts, seeds (or fruits with seeds such as raspberry), green vegetables other than in green bean casserole, corn and potatoes the only starchy vegetables she will eat, lettuce other than iceberg, coconut or coconut oil in anything, fish or seafood (except tuna and salmon), yellow mustard, does not like pork, will eat regular waffles but not Belgian, will not eat more than 2 items on a pizza even if she likes all the individual items, I could go on..and on..and on..she's picky. The Chef's table does not appeal, I saved $150 there.:)

Edited by moonvine

My first cruise ever was in January so I have no idea what the menu was like before the AT menu. I cruised with my family, two of which are my boys 13 and 11. They are PICKY but they always found something to eat on the menu and they only got something off the kids menu on the first night and they weren't impressed with it so they didn't get anything from there the rest of the cruise. They actually became adventurous and tried things they never would have tried before and some of them they found out they liked and other things they found out they didn't like and just ordered something else. My youngest actually really liked the grilled chicken and got it a couple times, but I do agree that it was weird and I didn't care for it, but I am very picky when it comes to chicken. I am also a picky eater and I actually loved a lot of the food that I had on the cruise in MDR. Because I am picky, I do not eat a lot of "fancy" food though and I found that a lot of the food was pretty fancy, much fancier than I am used to.

My first cruise ever was in January so I have no idea what the menu was like before the AT menu. I cruised with my family, two of which are my boys 13 and 11. They are PICKY but they always found something to eat on the menu and they only got something off the kids menu on the first night and they weren't impressed with it so they didn't get anything from there the rest of the cruise. They actually became adventurous and tried things they never would have tried before and some of them they found out they liked and other things they found out they didn't like and just ordered something else. My youngest actually really liked the grilled chicken and got it a couple times, but I do agree that it was weird and I didn't care for it, but I am very picky when it comes to chicken. I am also a picky eater and I actually loved a lot of the food that I had on the cruise in MDR. Because I am picky, I do not eat a lot of "fancy" food though and I found that a lot of the food was pretty fancy, much fancier than I am used to.

See I think it is not near fancy enough:).