So no more southern fried chicken on the everyday menu...

frayedend

I don't care for the AT menu compared to the way it used to be. BUT, times change and we deal with it.

My fallbacks are the Flat Iron Steak and the Pork Chop. Usually have one or the other at least 2-3 nights per cruise.

I'll live!

Kudo's though to Carnival for the tangy horseradish they serve on request. It gives the Flat Iron Steak a well-needed kick!

Seems you have made your mind up on Carnival food (which is fine). Generally speaking (not so much me but from here) people think Carnivals MDR food a slight notch above the other main lines. Try a five star

Sent from my iPhone

What do you mean by "made your mind up on Carnival food"? I enjoy the lunch options and I enjoyed the old menu, its the AT menu I have an issue with. There was no deliberation time for my mind to be made up. I took one bite of the chicken and spat it out. Same goes for the seafood dish (can't remember the name). I have always enjoyed Carnival's food when it was simple and no frills. I will definitely be trying a five star or I might just charter a yacht for a few days. Thanks.

Yeah I wasn't sure about that. The way it sounded on the menu I'd assume they already have the peas mixed in. I have one kid that will try anything and the other that has an absolutely horrible diet. He just won't eat good food and he lives with his Mom so I don't have a lot of say to change his diet.

Does anyone know if the "chicken tenders" on the kids menu are crap patty stuff or real chicken?

In any case I'm not worried about this and I'm not complaining. They will find something to eat either in MDR or at the buffet/pizza etc.

Don't write off the MDR yet. They make special orders all the time based on dietary restrictions/allergies/what not. You can always ask to switch out sides and for sauces on the sides. I'd take the tack of ordering what you want (in this case, ziti with no peas) and see if they can make it that way or not. It could be a pre-done thing... or they may be able to use an alternate sauce to whip it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh no! Now I'm worried! I'm a picky eater! You don't HAVE to go to the dining room at night though, right? The buffet is open? I think we'll be more likely to do that.....

Yes, you can go to the buffet. But in my opinion, the American Table menu is good for picky eaters. They have basic meat items you can pick and there are sides you can add to it.

What do you mean by "made your mind up on Carnival food"? I enjoy the lunch options and I enjoyed the old menu, its the AT menu I have an issue with. There was no deliberation time for my mind to be made up. I took one bite of the chicken and spat it out. Same goes for the seafood dish (can't remember the name). I have always enjoyed Carnival's food when it was simple and no frills. I will definitely be trying a five star or I might just charter a yacht for a few days. Thanks.

What I meant is you have made up your mind your post reaffirms that (again, fine). Let us know how the charter yacht works out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All the MDR food is pre-plated. They take your order then go to the kitchen and grab a plate that has already been prepared. It's not like a restaurant where they prepare your food after you order.

If you order your food without sauce or without the sides listed they will plate your meal specially.

As I've said before, surprisingly, we like CCL's MDR menu better then HAL's..... go figure :D

We have had the American Table Menu for 3 cruises. It is horrible. I am shocked that Carnival continues to roll it out. It has so many complaints to deaf ears.

John Heald has reported many times that the ships with American Table get better foe reviews than ships with the older menu.

All the MDR food is pre-plated. They take your order then go to the kitchen and grab a plate that has already been prepared. It's not like a restaurant where they prepare your food after you order.

That hasn't been my experience. We've asked for things on the side and sides changed out without a problem. Only issue with the ziti and peas would be if the peas are mixed into the sauce already

While I'll have to say that there are some aspects of the AT menu that I don't like as well as the old menus, I won't go so far as to say that it's horrible. We've had it on our last two cruises and haven't had any problems finding things we liked.

True, some things are a bit different, but it's just one of those things. I still remember the maitre d meeting folks at the door to the MDR on my first cruise back in 1991 and turning away anyone not wearing proper clothing! Wonder how that would go over today?;p

I'm looking forward to the answer to this. Personally I'm thinking about trying MSC. There is nothing anymore on Carnival that is "can't miss" and they have removed a lot of the things I liked. It's just an incentive to try other lines for me and MSC matches status. If I don't like MSC I can try another line or a land vacation.

Try Google. I hear Azamara, Costa, Crystal, and even Celebrity are nice.

I tried the fried chicken from the buffet on the 2nd to last day of our cruise last year and OMGosh! It was seriously the best fried chicken I've ever had! I was kicking myself that I didn't try it sooner! It was THAT good 😋

I've had 8 cruises with Carnival before trying the AT menu on my 9th cruise. Always loved the old menu and always had something I enjoyed each night, and if I didn't then the southern fried chicken was there. I'll say it again, the new menu s*cks! Do you have any recommendations if not Carnival? Or should I stop cruising altogether?

Well, don't go on NCL. On a four night cruise I had more than one night where nothing really sounded appealing. And I'm definitely not picky. They were just boring choices and not much variety.

I'd try ordering the ziti without the peas... I imagine that if it's a dish they would like except for a 'deal breaker', they could ask that item to be left off...

Or you could just pick the peas out :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I tried the fried chicken from the buffet on the 2nd to last day of our cruise last year and OMGosh! It was seriously the best fried chicken I've ever had! I was kicking myself that I didn't try it sooner! It was THAT good 😋

They do make good fried chicken but lately it has been all dark meat.:(

Gee thanks for the condescending rolleyes. FWIW, the meal is baked ziti with ham and peas. First off, who the heck puts ham and peas in baked ziti? I've never heard of anything like this. It's like someone took a few meal leftovers and baked it in a casserole. Second, it's baked so I don't see how picking peas out of a baked ziti dish would be possible. Lastly, you obviously don't know people that won't eat peas. They don't just dislike them, just seeing the green mush can ruin their meal. :D

Blah - ham and peas in a lasagna doesn't sound very good to me. I guess that's why I never ordered it. I can always find something I like, even if it's off the appetizer menu as they will give it to you as a main course. One thing I definitely noticed on my last cruise was the shrimp cocktail. There used to be nice jumbo shrimp and last cruise they were teeny.

When the staff starts dancing and singing and everyone starts slinging their napkins .

Take the peas out with a spoon and shoot them across the MDR :halo:

My kids are as picky as they come. We spent our first cruise worried to death about every meal and the drama that would ensue about there being nothing to eat. Sucked the fun out of our meal time that I should have been enjoying since I did not have to cook it. Should have been nirvana time. LOL! We now tell them they can eat whatever they want as long as there is a side of fruit with it. Son eats hamburgers and hot dogs and fruit and my daughter survives on the pizza and fruit. There in some milk to drink and kids never went hungry. And I got to enjoy my meals in peace. The other surprising thing was that because we had no pressure on them about it, they actually tried pork chops, steak and a pasta dish I could not believe they tried and liked it. Relax and so will they.