Very, very disappointed with the hard sell on Liberty of the Seas

We had "hard sells" 2 weeks ago aboard Anthem of the seas.Not the regular promenade sales. I'm speaking about being interrupted every single night when dining in MDR to sell backstage tours, restaurant packages, drink packages and so on. Sometimes twice.This happened in windjammer too. )

This is something I have never seen, but I have no reason to doubt you. I will be on the lookout my next cruise.

This is something I have never seen, but I have no reason to doubt you. I will be on the lookout my next cruise.

;) Its not a big deal, but after 2,3, 4 times...it's anoying. And the phone messages were something new for us too...Arrived to the cabin, saw the mesage light..."Hello, we are calling from Spa/Jewllery/...." What?! :D

Hard sell? So what!

Sure, there are staff members hawking drink packages, souvenirs, gold-by-the-inch. Where is your backbone? Smile, say no thank you and MOVE ON. If you are not interested, what do you care if the staff is hawking? It certainly shouldn't ruin your vacation nor should it be something to be embarrassed about.

Geez.

The worst example of hard sell IMO is after a spa treatment. They have you locked in this little room and want you to buy many hundreds of dollars worth of products. It ruins the whole experience. I stopped going to the spa on cruises for that reason. They REALLY don't want to take no for an answer and they make you feel like you're ruining their life by not buying something. The other hawkers I find harmless and sometimes I may be interested to know what they're offering, such as a wine tasting etc. Phone calls, I would not appreciate because it takes up your time to listen to voicemail on vacation.

Hard sell? So what!

Sure, there are staff members hawking drink packages, souvenirs, gold-by-the-inch. Where is your backbone? Smile, say no thank you and MOVE ON. If you are not interested, what do you care if the staff is hawking? It certainly shouldn't ruin your vacation nor should it be something to be embarrassed about.

Geez.

Is anyone actually reading the posts before getting out their pom-poms?

There is no way to "say thank you and move on" when people are INTERRUPTING YOUR MDR MEAL to try to sell you something. About three posts back someone said it happened to them repeatedly in the MDR, and that's one of many reports.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52799076&postcount=151

Although I suppose it's possible they're trying to make people "move on" ... from the MDR and to the buffet or upcharge venues.

Is anyone actually reading the posts before getting out their pom-poms?

There is no way to "say thank you and move on" when people are INTERRUPTING YOUR MDR MEAL to try to sell you something. About three posts back someone said it happened to them repeatedly in the MDR.

Trust me. A FIRM "no" and the right look with eye-to-eye contact will ensure they will never return to my table. I've done it enough times to master it. 😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

Trust me. A FIRM "no" and the right look with eye-to-eye contact will ensure they will never return to my table. I've done it enough times to master it. 😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

Oh, I'm sure it works. And it sucks that the corporation puts passengers, some of whom don't wish to be rude to staff, in the position of having to be forceful and aggressive in order to eat their meal in peace.

Oh, I'm sure it works. And it sucks that the corporation puts passengers, some of whom don't wish to be rude to staff, in the position of having to be forceful and aggressive in order to eat their meal in peace.

You don't have to get rude. Just a firm thank you, I am not interested. Works for me. Daughter says it is the "teacher" voice I use. Lol

The worst example of hard sell IMO is after a spa treatment. They have you locked in this little room and want you to buy many hundreds of dollars worth of products. It ruins the whole experience. I stopped going to the spa on cruises for that reason. They REALLY don't want to take no for an answer and they make you feel like you're ruining their life by not buying something. The other hawkers I find harmless and sometimes I may be interested to know what they're offering, such as a wine tasting etc. Phone calls, I would not appreciate because it takes up your time to listen to voicemail on vacation.

It's not just cruise ships. I always have a spa day when in Vegas. Always end with the special packet of items selected just for me. Yeah, nope..

Hard sell? So what!

Geez.

If you are seated in the MDR having your dinner ...it's not easy to move on ;) The "staff members hawking drink packages, souvenirs, gold-by-the-inch" are not hard sell...are usual sell...traping you in you table while you are eating...every night, sometimes twice...well, don't ruin your vacation for sure, but it's not pleasant t all :) When we were at Solarium Bistro e ordered the "no charge items", after the "lobster presentation" and the waiter was "horrified"..."Really, why don't you buy the lobster...you will never find a deal like this one...you should have the lobster!" :D:D

If you are seated in the MDR having your dinner ...it's not easy to move on ;) The "staff members hawking drink packages, souvenirs, gold-by-the-inch" are not hard sell...are usual sell...traping you in you table while you are eating...every night, sometimes twice...well, don't ruin your vacation for sure, but it's not pleasant t all :) When we were at Solarium Bistro e ordered the "no charge items", after the "lobster presentation" and the waiter was "horrified"..."Really, why don't you buy the lobster...you will never find a deal like this one...you should have the lobster!" :D:D

I refer you to ramja96 and Gwendy posts above.

Read. Learn.

Read. Learn.

It's still annoying. They know you are a captive audience. These vacations are becoming big week long sales pitches, much more invasive than in the past. I can easily say no to an opportunity but I do somewhat resent being pestered and interrupted. Just leave me alone to enjoy what I am doing.

If I want to make a purchase I'll ask the staff or call the number on any of the 800 pieces of junkmail in my cabin.

Hard Sell on Liberty of the Seas:

This is escalating everywhere, not just on cruise ships. When doing shopping and get to the cash, I get asked to make a donation to X. Fed up.

On my last cruise, Celebrity, 2 years ago, a specialty restaurant staff member was strongly marketing to an elderly couple having lunch on the sunset deck. This included leaning over and invading their personal space, very loud voice and waving promotional material.

It was very disturbing to them and to us at the next table.

I got up, went over, and told him to cease the shrill as it was disturbing our lunch.

He gave me a glare and left, never returned.

Disgusting.

To end this practice, customers need to be forceful and repudiate overt attempts at marketing in venues not set up for retail activities - same as saying no to solicitations at one's home, at the store etc

Read. Learn.

You're not understanding what most are saying. It's not that people have trouble saying no, thank you. It's that a person that paid thousands of dollars on a vacation should not be interrupted multiple times during a meal trying to sell "better" meals or tours or drink packages. It's rude and very tacky. Keep it to table set ups or representatives near the location that they are promoting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

to end this practice, customers need to be forceful and repudiate overt attempts at marketing in venues not set up for retail activities - same as saying no to solicitations at one's home, at the store etc

amen!

Sometimes, privacy does not mean sex. My wife and I like to have time away from our son. When he was younger, it meant we could watch shows for grown ups, rather than the kid-oriented offerings on Nick and Cartoon Network. Or, we need to discuss a matter about our son without him adding his opinion, or discuss matters that he doesn't need to hear, such as finances.

My problem with RC is that their teen programs are very uneven, compared to the programs for kids under 12.

On the Brilliance out of Harwich two summers ago, our son had a great time in the teen program. They watched movies and did all sorts of things.

The Majesty was a different story, in March of 2016. Every teen event was cancelled. I was told by a crew member that there were almost 900 passengers on the ship, under the age of 18. I saw plenty of teenagers. My guess is that there were large family groups, such as three siblings, their spouses, and all of their children. So, a lone teenager from one family had several teen cousins to hang out with. So, they skipped the teen program.

Because of the lack of teen activities, our son simply wanted to stay in the cabin, reading, playing video games, or texting with his friends.

It seems to me that RC encourages parents to utilize Adventure Ocean for kids under 12, but they don't push the teen program the same way.

It's still annoying. They know you are a captive audience. These vacations are becoming big week long sales pitches, much more invasive than in the past. I can easily say no to an opportunity but I do somewhat resent being pestered and interrupted. Just leave me alone to enjoy what I am doing.

If I want to make a purchase I'll ask the staff or call the number on any of the 800 pieces of junkmail in my cabin.

I am good at walking on and have mastered the firm NO. Just ask my wife when the guy in the promenade on Majesty last fall asked if I wanted my foot analyzed. :evilsmile:. But I also would hate it when I'm sitting at dinner, I don't want to pull out the big guns too often. I guess I just agree with everybody., Unusual for me.

Not all of us have a stern backbone, I suppose. The location of the hard sell makes absolutely no difference. No means no in any area of the ship. If you say no and look like you mean it, I guarantee the sell will cease.

And to address the fact that the hard sell exists to begin with, I understand and agree it is definitely rude and tacky. Cruise lines don't seem to relent on this practice so that means we deal with their rudeness as best we can. I choose to with a firm "no, thank you".

Moving on.

This is exactly why the wife and I always hit the shower together when we have the kids in the same cabin. ;)

You guys must be super thin, flexible and acrobatic. It's hard enough to get one person in the tube showers much less a couple trying to get in some extra movement. LOL