How much does Royal read into the survey comments?

Hi all,

We just finished filling out the post cruise survey that Royal sent us on our recent cruise. I know they place lots of value on the numerical ratings that you give the dining staff, but how much weight do they put on the stuff in the comment box?

We made sure to praise the entertainment as we really enjoyed it (and hope it doesn't go downhill like Carnival's has), but we also were concerned with the sheer amount of solicitation and advertising that we experienced. I know I'm not alone on this issue, so I'm hoping that Royal places importance on these comment boxes.

Sent from Tapatalk

What Bob said!!! We have heard back from crew we mentioned in the surveys. One got an extra day off and another was selected for Employee of the Year on Freedom as a new Waiter on his second contract.

Edited by Scotty G
clarify

Definitely list those you really enjoyed/provide excellent service by name on the comment cards. It leads to promotions and other perks for them. Take a picture of their name tag if you are worried you won't remember how to spell it.

Definitely list those you really enjoyed/provide excellent service by name on the comment cards. It leads to promotions and other perks for them. Take a picture of their name tag if you are worried you won't remember how to spell it.

I always just take picture of my waiters names listed on table, always remember their names this just helps with spelling them correctly...

I always just take picture of my waiters names listed on table, always remember their names this just helps with spelling them correctly...

I always write down excellent staffs name so i remember to mention them in the survey.

If any negatives on the ship i sort out with the head waiter or customer services on the ship so all my reviews have no complaints on them.

love sailing with RCCL

The crewmembers are very keen to get mentioned by name on the surveys. More than one has told us that it means much more to them than the old WOW cards.

I spoke to one crewmember in the Windjammer and apparently if they get so many (good) mentions in the survey they get a day off.

I spoke to one crewmember in the Windjammer and apparently if they get so many (good) mentions in the survey they get a day off.

They could get more tables too, which translates into more money.

Never thought of that.I often thought some waiters had more tables whereas some seemed underworked.

We've been told that their rating has a direct effect on how many tables they get, and also if they get to work My Time.

As for the comments about solicitations, I have no doubt they read them and watch for trends and report them. I would GUESS any really major comment out of the norm would get reported. I remember thinking the same thing with hotel survey cards and one day I wrote, "The Major in-action of one of your employees nearly caused a major hotel fire". I got a phone call about that one.

I take the comment cards seriously. I'm not a critical person; any negative comments I've ever had were more constructive criticism on how to improve something (example: every time I cruise I love to buy something onboard for our granddaughter, not age 7. Did you ever notice the lack of toy products or clothing in child's sizes on almost every ship?).

A few years back I wrote some comments on a Celebrity cruise. They must have liked them; they called me and asked if I'd be willing to view their new Website and offered cash for my opinions. Yeah, they do take comments seriously, and yes, I keep filling hem out, hoping they'll call me again!

When this past cruise on Freedom was ending I handed our cabin steward some extra cash which seemed to make him very happy. Then when I told him that I would be sure to take good care of him when I did the cruise evaluation for RCI he seemed even happier than when I handed him the cash.

Has anyone had staff ask you for a good review? I had a waiter repeatedly remind me to give him a ten. I didn't mind at first but after the third or fourth time I started to get a little annoyed.

Allure of the Seas February 2017

Freedom of the Seas February 2018

Harmony of the Seas February 2019

Has anyone had staff ask you for a good review? I had a waiter repeatedly remind me to give him a ten. I didn't mind at first but after the third or fourth time I started to get a little annoyed.

Some time ago, when we were on Explorer, our dining room waiter must have mentioned this issue almost every night. I remember one night saying to my brother that if he asks for this good rating one more time he can kiss it goodbye. In the end he got the good review and he deserved it too as he did a great job but this one issue of him constantly bringing it up annoyed me greatly.

Yes, but I didn't feel pressured. He said it on the last day and was pretty casual about it ("if you think we provided exceptional service, it would mean a lot"...). Gave him a 10 anyways, great service.

Sent from Tapatalk

Yes, but I didn't feel pressured. He said it on the last day and was pretty casual about it ("if you think we provided exceptional service, it would mean a lot"...). Gave him a 10 anyways, great service.

Sent from Tapatalk

Yes that's fine. But this server we had only once on the first night in the MDR. He was excellent and we would have loved having him again but we never went back to the MDR. However we would frequently run into him on the pool deck and at Wipeout cafe and he would nag us about the survey. It happened at least once daily. I did give him the 10 but the survey specifically asked if anyone solicited a good review from us and I answered that question honestly as well.

Some time ago, when we were on Explorer, our dining room waiter must have mentioned this issue almost every night. I remember one night saying to my brother that if he asks for this good rating one more time he can kiss it goodbye. In the end he got the good review and he deserved it too as he did a great job but this one issue of him constantly bringing it up annoyed me greatly.

This is now frowned on. Some of the surveys, including the one I just completed after disembarking from Serenade on Friday, ask if anyone asked you to give them high scores. I answered truthfully as our waiter did ask for 10's on the last day and I told him that asking me for a 10 is the best way NOT to get one.

There are several different versions of surveys being sent. The one I received at the end of January didn't ask this question.

This is now frowned on. Some of the surveys, including the one I just completed after disembarking from Serenade on Friday, ask if anyone asked you to give them high scores. I answered truthfully as our waiter did ask for 10's on the last day and I told him that asking me for a 10 is the best way NOT to get one.

There are several different versions of surveys being sent. The one I received at the end of January didn't ask this question.

I was asked that on our last survey in February.We were asked to give a good mark but nothing unusual.

There was no way i would have done what the survey asked to name names and departments because everyone was pleasant and i didn't want to get anyone into trouble.

I did praise and name 5 people who gave us excellent customer service.

love sailing with RCCL

I was asked that on our last survey in February.We were asked to give a good mark but nothing unusual.

There was no way i would have done what the survey asked to name names and departments because everyone was pleasant and i didn't want to get anyone into trouble.

I did praise and name 5 people who gave us excellent customer service.

love sailing with RCCL

I didn't name names. I just answered the yes or no question. I praised my room steward and CK waiter so much I ran out of space!