How is Princess different from HAL?

bamelin

I really like Princess. Never sailed with HAL. How are the two lines different? I posted a similar question on HAL boards to hear from fans of both lines.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52649555#post52649555

I feel like Celebrity is different in vibe and build from HAL and Princess. Trying to figure out what makes HAL and Princess different in terms of brands.

The big difference to me is the lack of organized activities on HAL compared to Princess. They have a cruise director, culinary center hostess, and show host to do them. They still have trivia and bingo, but not a lot of the other fun activities that Princess has to get passengers involved around the ship.

That said, we enjoyed our cruise to the Panama Canal last month on HAL. The food and service in the dining room were great. The culinary center is also a great idea, with a couple of activities each day led by the culinary center hostess. On our cruise, we won every food trivia--and the prizes were good--a bottle of champagne, chocolate martinis, a bottle of wine, and other drinks. The trivia prizes for the regular trivias are cheap pins. They think so much of them that they offered them to anyone who wanted one, not just the winning team.

The variety of entertainment on HAL is also lacking. The production cast on our ship was very good, but they only performed three shows on our 10-day cruise. They showed movies/events on a big screen in the theater for three of the nights. The first night was the Super Bowl, so that was understandable. But two other nights were documentaries. The guest entertainers were not that entertaining on our most recent cruise. We had much better ones on our previous HAL cruises, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

Edited by geoherb

Have cruised both and liked each however definetely do not like Princess Movies Under the Stars. Princess starts playing the concerts, movies ,etc at about 10 Am with an exceedingly loud volume thus no quiet day by the pool. We like the HAL dedicated Showtime Theater showing indoor movies all day or selecting films and watching them in our stateroom. Not that we're dancers but HAL has done away with dancing venues.

Have cruised both and liked each however definetely do not like Princess Movies Under the Stars. Princess starts playing the concerts, movies ,etc at about 10 Am with an exceedingly loud volume thus no quiet day by the pool. We like the HAL dedicated Showtime Theater showing indoor movies all day or selecting films and watching them in our stateroom. Not that we're dancers but HAL has done away with dancing venues.

Princess does have the quiet adult pool though away from the MUTS screen

I've sailed on both. Three star on HA and

Elite on Princess. So more extras on P.

I like them both.. wish I could take things from

each and put on one cruise. It would be great.

One main thing for Princess is Princess has better eating hours. Holland closes to early on everything.

We've also done and like both. I'd summarize it as HAL is just a bit more upscale (without being stuffy), the decor/furnishings a bit classier, and the dining a cut above. But the pricing is slightly higher as well.

But Princess is just fine and we've repeated with them enough to now be Platinum.

I'd say if you feel like a good but a casual restaurant think Princess and if you feel like a little nicer and dressier one (without being pinkies up) think HAL.

I've also done Seabourn and that was fantastic service but definitely black tie and pinkies up.

The trivia prizes for the regular trivias are cheap pins. They think so much of them that they offered them to anyone who wanted one, not just the winning team.

Not to mention they went from metal pins to plastic ones a year ago.

Inside rooms on some HAL ships do not have a refrigerator. Also, I believe HALs buffet hours are more restricted than Princess'.

They are, and the buffets are much less self serve on HAL. You can't get your own salad, for example.

They are, and the buffets are much less self serve on HAL. You can't get your own salad, for example.
Though whether that's a bad thing (more restrictive) or a good thing (more sanitary) is an open question.

So how is it served?

Do you point to which items you want or is it pre-prepared & they just scoop it out for you.

I seem to recall my mother saying HAL's buffet had a lot more pre prepared dishes where you grab and go.

There are a number of different salad items and they fill it a bowl at your direction.

All I can say is that you wouldn't want to stand behind my wife when it comes to preparing a salad. It takes her at least 5 minutes and that's when she's making the selections. I couldn't even begin to think how long it would take when giving directions to someone else. ;p

Interesting. I guess my feeling is that I would feel like I need to rush a bit more and make my decision faster, if there was a crew member standing in front of me waiting on me.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Interesting. I guess my feeling is that I would feel like I need to rush a bit more and make my decision faster, if there was a crew member standing in front of me waiting on me.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Not my wife.

If she's on line in front of me I refuse to follow her & go in another direction.

When she arrives at our table I'm usually almost finished eating.

Interesting thread as we're returning to HAL after a long hiatus when we sailed only on Princess. This will also be our first experience on their newer ships (Zuiderdam). Looking forward to it!

I think one of the main differences not noted in earlier posts on this thread is the difference in loyalty programs. We've been Elite on Princess for quite awhile and especially enjoy the generous free internet minutes. We're 2* on HAL and will be 3* after our upcoming cruise. We enjoy lecture programs and won't miss all the piazza fun and games that Princess offers.

All I can say is that you wouldn't want to stand behind my wife when it comes to preparing a salad. It takes her at least 5 minutes and that's when she's making the selections. I couldn't even begin to think how long it would take when giving directions to someone else. ;p

She's not the one who stands in front of me poring through all the slices of bacon, twice, until she's found the two perfect strips, is she?