Am I able to order in advance a specific brand of Spirit?

NeilP57

Hi Neil

Have been on a few Regent cruises and always book an H suite (guarantee). On each cruise we have called Regent directly or our TA has called and placed our request for our bottles about 60 days in advance of the cruise. They have always been in our suite upon our arrival with our Champagne and a full fridge of beer and soft drinks.

We are cruising to Alaska in May and I just spoke to Regent the other day with regard to a change in a booked excursion. I also ordered our usual bottles at that time. So I suggest that you try calling about 60 days before your cruise.

Sharon

Sharon

We too are in H suite (guarantee) as in my experience the lowest category suite, with a balcony, on a quality cruise line gives the best value (or bang for your buck - as you may say). Thank you for your suggestion of getting in touch with Regent in advance, I will do this either 60, or maybe just after I have paid my final balance (90 days for UK customers) and request. No harm in asking!

Hendricks Gin, Fever-Tree tonic, and a fresh cucumber every other day, all needed to make our perfect Gin & Tonic. This will be just right whilst we are getting ready for dinner.

Neil

Sharon

Hendricks Gin, Fever-Tree tonic, and a fresh cucumber every other day, all needed to make our perfect Gin & Tonic. This will be just right whilst we are getting ready for dinner.

Neil

Hendricks - should be OK

Fever-Tree tonic - definitely a special order, ring Regent as early as possible

Cucumber - knowing Regent, this could be the most problematic request

:rolleyes:. They haven't quite got the hang of guests wanting cucumber rather than lemon with their gin :confused:

Hendricks - should be OK

Fever-Tree tonic - definitely a special order, ring Regent as early as possible

Cucumber - knowing Regent, this could be the most problematic request

:rolleyes:. They haven't quite got the hang of guests wanting cucumber rather than lemon with their gin :confused:

Interesting that G&T discussions feature on the Regent board. We had a good discussion about G&Ts on the Azamara board recently (more about the tonic actually).

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2313460&page=4 posts 126 to 153 if anyone is interested.

The cucumber was the funniest thing when we were on board last year. Dear Gusti, the barman couldn't quite believe me when I first asked for it rather than lemon with my Hendricks gin, but duly ran off to the kitchen and returned with a whole cucumber in his hand. The following night, he greeted us with the evidence of his research - "Madame, you are right! I read on the bottle of gin that it's cucumber and not lemon", and ran off to get another one. By the end of the first week, as soon as he saw us coming, he'd be off heading to the kitchen and shortly after that I didn't even need to ask. Cue our arrival on board in Copenhagen last Autumn, when we were enjoying those first few moments on the pool deck, having just arrived. "Hello Madame....I'll go and get the Hendricks and cucumber!" - Gusti was behind the pool bar and had spotted me already, though I declined at that time of the day in favour of a glass of sparkle. Later on though, whichever bar we found ourselves in, a Hendricks and tonic with cucumber made its way to me regardless of the bar staff on duty. Regent magic! Don't you just love it? (I take my training role very seriously ;p )

Edited by Gilly

I very much doubt that a bottle of Hendricks comes with a bill these days. Zqueeze will have the details, I'll bet.

I am glad to report that during our November transatlantic cruise on the Explorer the Hendrick's was plentiful and flowing freely.

Z and TB

The cucumber was the funniest thing when we were on board last year. Dear Gusti, the barman couldn't quite believe me when I first asked for it rather than lemon with my Hendricks gin, but duly ran off to the kitchen and returned with a whole cucumber in his hand. The following night, he greeted us with the evidence of his research - "Madame, you are right! I read on the bottle of gin that it's cucumber and not lemon", and ran off to get another one. By the end of the first week, as soon as he saw us coming, he'd be off heading to the kitchen and shortly after that I didn't even need to ask. Cue our arrival on board in Copenhagen last Autumn, when we were enjoying those first few moments on the pool deck, having just arrived. "Hello Madame....I'll go and get the Hendricks and cucumber!" - Gusti was behind the pool bar and had spotted me already, though I declined at that time of the day in favour of a glass of sparkle. Later on though, whichever bar we found ourselves in, a Hendricks and tonic with cucumber made its way to me regardless of the bar staff on duty. Regent magic! Don't you just love it? (I take my training role very seriously ;p )

Love your story! I too, am a Hendrick's and cuke fan. My best story involved a cruise on the QM2, grill class. Asked for Hendrick's and cucumber for the cabin. The Hendrick's part was no problem, but as you guessed, no one seems to be able to get their head around the cuke. Finally, after a day or so, we'd get a freshly slicked cucumber, served each afternoon, with knife, fork, salt and pepper......had to giggle over that one!

I am not sure whether this is an urban myth or is something you can do.

I have heard that if you would like a specific brand of spirit, in our case Hendricks Gin, then you can request it ahead of your cruise and they will ensure that they will stock it on board for your cruise.

Also, is it true that you can have a bottle of sprits, mixers and say a bottle of champagne in your cabin, all part of the all inclusive package with Regent.

We are two couples from the UK looking forward to our first Regent Cruise later this year, and wish to ensure we are not disappointed if such wonderful sounding service levels are indeed just urban myths.

Thanks

Neil

It has been our experience on the last two Regent cruises, that yes you may request a certain brand within reason And yes they do a good job of keeping your room supplied with your requests. We also had folks join us in our room for a casual get together and they brought in a variety of spirits for that. We are hoping nothing has changed on this cruise. kent and Sandy

Both Gilly and flossie009 reference the use of lemon in G&T.

Is this a UK thing?

I typically see a 'regular' G&T made with lime - at least in the US.

(But yes enjoy my Hendricks and cucumber too).

Love your story! I too, am a Hendrick's and cuke fan. My best story involved a cruise on the QM2, grill class. Asked for Hendrick's and cucumber for the cabin. The Hendrick's part was no problem, but as you guessed, no one seems to be able to get their head around the cuke. Finally, after a day or so, we'd get a freshly slicked cucumber, served each afternoon, with knife, fork, salt and pepper......had to giggle over that one!

love it! :D

Both Gilly and flossie009 reference the use of lemon in G&T.

Is this a UK thing?

I typically see a 'regular' G&T made with lime - at least in the US.

(But yes enjoy my Hendricks and cucumber too).

Lemon, lime (or cucumber) as a garnish can become quite a topic for debate amongst gin aficionados. I have heard several impassioned (probably gin-fueled:)) speeches saying it must be lemon with Gordons; lime with Tanqueray; cucumber with Hendricks etc.. I have not heard the same passion applied to which garnish with which tonic (yet).

Frankly, I think the brand of tonic is the most important (as it is the largest ingredient). Ratio of G to T is another passion-rousing debating point.

My vote is for Fevertree original or Schweppes - ratio about 1G:2T (varies depending on climate, time of day and ingredients). One important point for me - let me mix my own - do NOT pour the whole tin/bottle of tonic in. As for fountain tonics...

Found this article: https://sipsmith.com/how-to-make-the-perfect-gin-and-tonic/

I'm pretty sure I couldn't finish a whole bottle of whiskey in a couple of weeks. So, what happens to partial bottles left over at the end of a cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had a liter bottle of Macallan Select Oak in my cabin the last few cruises, and I'm more of a 'socialize at the bar' kind of drinker as opposed to a 'let me sip a cocktail on my balcony' kind of guy, so the bottles didn't get opened...although the pesky buggers managed to fall into my suitcase somehow and I didn't notice it until I got home. Odd.

But I was just pondering that same question the other night...there must be quite a few partial bottles in the cabins at the end of each cruise. Seems such a waste.

I can only say what Crystal does with half used bottles. The bottles are disposed of for sanitary reasons. Full bottles that are left are returned to the ships store. The crew are forbidden to take half bottles. Full bottles if you leave a note that you are gifting it to them. You must sign it along with your suite number. We left two bottles of wine for our butler on our recent cruise and a special bottle that we bought for him onshore.

I can only say what Crystal does with half used bottles. The bottles are disposed of for sanitary reasons. Full bottles that are left are returned to the ships store. The crew are forbidden to take half bottles. Full bottles if you leave a note that you are gifting it to them. You must sign it along with your suite number. We left two bottles of wine for our butler on our recent cruise and a special bottle that we bought for him onshore.

I'm not sure that your experience with Crystal has anything to do with Regent but it is sort of interesting. We just opened a bottle of Patron tequila and hope to share it with guests that we invite into our suite.

Bill - open bottles of alcohol travel very well in hard luggage. We've never had a drop spill out:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Really wish that you were on this cruise as you would find certain things most interesting. Will have to email you when we get home. Hope you are well!

Just had to book it. The pricing was perfect. Now just need to book our air

Thanks for the suggestions about how to deal with unused whiskey. I like a nightcap before going to bed, but at home that's usually the only alcohol I drink. Considering that I'll probably be half in the bag when I get back to my room on the ship a bottle in the room will be redundant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums