Shorts now part of the casual dress code

Cruise Critic spoke with Royal a few days ago. Royal said there is no change at this time regarding Dining Room dress code. They will be updating the website in the near future addressing the issue.

The cruise critic post appears in the early pages of this thread.

Cruise Critic spoke with Royal a few days ago. Royal said there is no change at this time regarding Dining Room dress code. They will be updating the website in the near future addressing the issue.

So they are going to be updating the update?:rolleyes:

:Djust moving this forward.

Hi everyone,

We reached out to Royal Caribbean to get clarification on the short/tank tops in MDR question. Here's what we were told:

"The dress code in the maindining room remains the same as it has been. Our teams are working to make further clarifications on the website."

So, shorts and tank tops are still not permitted in the main dining room.

We were at Flemings a few week ago it's very upscale steak house, two guys came in in hunting gear an d did not even take their hats off! I called management the next day to complain they apologized and sent us a $100 gift card , they also acknowledged they can't enforce a dress code in Phoenix

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Amazing that restaurants need to pay you because another customer had dinner

Right? Goodness, we eat at Fleming's regularly - in Phoenix. Shorts in the dining room seem to impact no one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping the change goes through. Like everything else, things change and evolve over time. Dressing up formally, especially while on vacation, is certainly an example of that. Amazes me that anyone would care what someone else is wearing.

We were at Flemings a few week ago it's very upscale steak house, two guys came in in hunting gear an d did not even take their hats off! I called management the next day to complain they apologized and sent us a $100 gift card , they also acknowledged they can't enforce a dress code in Phoenix

Was something wrong with your food or service? I think you have quite a nerve accepting that gift card. You just didn't have the nerve to complain in person and had to call the next day.

What am I missing here? Did they seat the hunters at your table? Why would you get a gift card because you didn't like what someone else is wearing?:confused:

This is an April Fool's joke, right?

People use to get very dressed for flights and even Disney. Times change as well as people and cruiselines need to also now address. We are talking RCCL not Regent or Silverseas lol. NCL has dress up or not night. A modified version of this could also work well for RCCL. Commercials for RCCL are aimed at the 20-40 something crowd (heck they barely mention the word cruise at all and mostly show very active cruisers) and they are a more dress casual group than the 50-80 group. I hope this change happens sooner rather than later and Ill be 50 next month.

Guest Nellsmom58

Key word is "suggested" because RCI staff do not enforce it, like it or not. We've seen some camping wear in the MDR and nobody did or said anything to the I-wanna-cruise-like-I'm-camping folks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am very pleased to read that. After all, if they do away with dress standards, all those 15 page threads about slobs and snobs and humanity and end of times cease. These are fascinating, certainly a way to pass the time when bored stiff while sitting in some waiting room.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree Pete, I've said a few times here that I cannot tell the difference in what people actually wear between a Casual and Smart Casual night.

Can you please give me some guidance on this. Did they change the dress code to include shorts in the main dining rooms or not. The website has no mention of this. My husband likes to wear silk Tommy Bahama shorts with a button down shirt to dinner. He wore the shorts last year on the Anthem and it was perfectly fine. On the formal nights he wore a suit. I would like to make sure I pack the right things for our next cruise which is very soon. Thanks in advance.

Can you please give me some guidance on this. Did they change the dress code to include shorts in the main dining rooms or not. The website has no mention of this. My husband likes to wear silk Tommy Bahama shorts with a button down shirt to dinner. He wore the shorts last year on the Anthem and it was perfectly fine. On the formal nights he wore a suit. I would like to make sure I pack the right things for our next cruise which is very soon. Thanks in advance.

For a short time it appeared that the website had been changed and they were suggesting shorts were OK in the MDR in the evening. Then they seemed to backtrack. Honestly, I really don't know (and I suspect they don't either) what they are suggesting now.

The bottom line is that dress suggestions are not enforced, so they are meaningless. You can wear whatever you want.

When we sailed Anthem last year, there was a sign outside each restaurant that said no shorts. We saw people getting in with shorts.

When we sailed Anthem last month, there was no sign outside the MTD restaurants saying no shorts. We saw people getting in with shorts.

The "What to Pack" page on Royal's website does not currently include shorts or tanks in the MDR for dinner attire on the four Casual nights. Currently it is 11:28am on the East Coast :)

I called Royal and they said no changes for dress for formal nites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums