Celebrity cruiser tries Azamara

Tom47

I'm comfortable with current smoking rules on Azamara and Celebrity.  I wish that Royal Caribbean would do the same, because of planned 50th anniversary cruise with 2 Cystic Fibrosis grandchildren.  My view on showers remains ever hopeful.

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

sometimes I'm comfortable with current smoking rules on Azamara and Celebrity.  I wish that Royal Caribbean would do the same, because of planned 50th anniversary cruise with 2 Cystic Fibrosis grandchildren.  My view on showers remains ever hopeful.

I agree that the current rules on Azamara are Ok if people obey them, unfortunately not everyone does.

I have sometimes smelled smoke in the corridors.. 

I am afraid I agree will Phil that the shower curtains are a permanent fixture in Balcony Cabins and below., after almost 20 years they are very unlikely to be altered.

4 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I agree that the current rules on Azamara are Ok if people obey them, unfortunately not everyone does.

I have sometimes smelled smoke in the corridors.. 

I am afraid I agree will Phil that the shower curtains are a permanent fixture in Balcony Cabins and below., after almost 20 years they are very unlikely to be altered.

It really is too bad that great minds can not come together to solve simple things. A silly shower curtain removal and a more airy smoking section so everyone could be happy.  Good thing I don’t have a cabin down the hall on pool deck to smell the smoke and pay a premium price to do so.  These topics could go on forever and yes less smoking sections on  Azamara than others ships but still need to change where it is located.  Top deck with even their own private bar would be an awesome idea. Cheers everyone happy cruising to all 

14 minutes ago, Ritza said:

It really is too bad that great minds can not come together to solve simple things. A silly shower curtain removal and a more airy smoking section so everyone could be happy.  Good thing I don’t have a cabin down the hall on pool deck to smell the smoke and pay a premium price to do so.  These topics could go on forever and yes less smoking sections on  Azamara than others ships but still need to change where it is located.  Top deck with even their own private bar would be an awesome idea. Cheers everyone happy cruising to all 

The Shower Curtain problem does not have a simple fix, it would mean a major alteration to the Bathrooms.

I was told years ago by a Chief Engineer on Journey that it simply was not practicable. 

Edited by Bloodaxe

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Just like getting rid of the shower curtains, it’s not going to happen.  All ships that have tried to go totally non-smoking have failed.  It is what it is.

Phil

And, just like shower curtains, it's not a big deal.  Just walk around the smoking area.  There's only one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ritza said:

I believe that max 12 people out of 700 guests should not Stop the enjoyment of sitting at a table near the pool bar because Of smoke.  I know it is possible to quit I did it.  Many years ago as a heavy smoker.  Restricting smoking to a totally open air place is what should be done not in a corner with no windows   Cigars should be a total No no Just saying.   No need to carry on as things will take time to change. Look at the shower curtain. Who puts shower curtains back on their stalls when the do a major refurb. Lol

Where do you get a max of 12 people from?  I am a smoker and in 3 Azamara cruises a year have never had less than 25-30 in the naughty corner as Captain Jose calls it

But love the idea of open deck with a private bar!  (mind you the bar staff are happy to serve us until the early hours anyway) Apologies for upsetting your holiday but it is only 1 area on the ship where we can indulge in our disgusting habit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

The Shower Curtain problem does not have a simple fix, it would mean a major alteration to the Bathrooms.

I was told years ago by a Chief Engineer on Journey that it simply was not practicable. 

I was disappointed that the Pursuit did not get bigger showers with doors since they completely gutted the inside with new bathroom modules. And yes I would happily pay more if they had to eliminate 1 cabin per deck to do so.  Russ told me the same thing as far practicality goes. He said that engineers looked at it during a drydock refurb and decided not possible.

9 hours ago, Ritza said:

I believe that max 12 people out of 700 guests should not Stop the enjoyment of sitting at a table near the pool bar because Of smoke.  I know it is possible to quit I did it.  Many years ago as a heavy smoker.  Restricting smoking to a totally open air place is what should be done not in a corner with no windows   Cigars should be a total No no Just saying.   No need to carry on as things will take time to change. Look at the shower curtain. Who puts shower curtains back on their stalls when the do a major refurb. Lol

12 out of 700? you need to do maths 101 again. Current figures reckon that about 15% of 1st world people smoke. That is about 105 out of 700 - so the area is probably rather under-provided (OK not all smokers are there all of the time so it seems to work fairly well).

Anyway, just use the starboard door on deck 9 at the front of the pool deck if it bothers you that much - you have about 99% of the ship as non-smoking already. Sit at a table on the starboard side of the pool bar if it is that important to you.

I am a smoker - I understand Azamara's very restrictive smoking policy and I will follow it. It is a legal activity - get over it.

13 hours ago, Ritza said:

Concerning Azamara smoking rules, I don't forsee any changes. But there is a possibility that RCI could follow Azamara and Celebrity's example- no smoking indoors.  I would applaud that.

9 hours ago, Tom47 said:

I was disappointed that the Pursuit did not get bigger showers with doors since they completely gutted the inside with new bathroom modules. And yes I would happily pay more if they had to eliminate 1 cabin per deck to do so.  Russ told me the same thing as far practicality goes. He said that engineers looked at it during a drydock refurb and decided not possible.

The issue is the bathroom footprint.  I'm not sure how they would put in a decent size shower where I didn't bang my arms on a glass partition.  It will be interesting to see what Oceania's solution is.  They are currently refitting Insignia, one of the other R ships that Azamara have.  I read they were putting glass shower partitions in all of the bathrooms.  We will see.  Azamara decided not to reconfigure them, for whatever reason.  As I've said elsewhere, yes the bathrooms are small, but they are much like a lot of things in life.  A compromise.  I had a huge bathroom on Windstar, but that wouldn't persuade me to cruise with them again because of many things I felt fell short of Azamara.  The standard bathrooms on Celebrity are bigger, but same thing with them.

Phil

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life and as a Doctor I am fully aware of the health implications of smoking. 

However...it seems to me that Azamara have got it right in their small smoking area. I often sit at the Pool bar tables and have never smelt smoke. I do laugh at the people who walk past it flapping their arms and coughing. If smoke is a problem for you ....and of course, it may be for anyone with a respiratory condition, then just walk or sit on the other side of the deck. I totally agree there should never be any smoking indoors. 

I do think the smokers are mostly fun people too. There always seems to be a lot of laughter in that little smoking corner. Personally, I don't like the smell of the smoke so I never sit there but it always seems like a party atmosphere going on, especially at might. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The issue is the bathroom footprint.  I'm not sure how they would put in a decent size shower where I didn't bang my arms on a glass partition.  It will be interesting to see what Oceania's solution is.  They are currently refitting Insignia, one of the other R ships that Azamara have.  I read they were putting glass shower partitions in all of the bathrooms.  We will see.  Azamara decided not to reconfigure them, for whatever reason.  As I've said elsewhere, yes the bathrooms are small, but they are much like a lot of things in life.  A compromise.  I had a huge bathroom on Windstar, but that wouldn't persuade me to cruise with them again because of many things I felt fell short of Azamara.  The standard bathrooms on Celebrity are bigger, but same thing with them.

Phil

If we try Oceania, it will be with one of their bigger ships(bigger  bathrooms).  I get their catalogs and compare itineraries.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:06 PM, SteveH2508 said:

12 out of 700? you need to do maths 101 again. Current figures reckon that about 15% of 1st world people smoke. That is about 105 out of 700 - so the area is probably rather under-provided (OK not all smokers are there all of the time so it seems to work fairly well).

Anyway, just use the starboard door on deck 9 at the front of the pool deck if it bothers you that much - you have about 99% of the ship as non-smoking already. Sit at a table on the starboard side of the pool bar if it is that important to you.

I am a smoker - I understand Azamara's very restrictive smoking policy and I will follow it. It is a legal activity - get over it.

I am also a smoker of cigarettes and one of the estimated 37 million in the USA.

It's possible the 12 out of 700 referred to the number of smokers who can find seating near the Azamara pool at any given time. I'll find out for myself in January when I take up residence in the Journey's smoking section for 9 days. I would like an open air venue provided it had shelter from the wind and the rain but I'll take what I am given and be thankful.

I don't like the smell of smoke any more than I like the smell of diesel in the city I live in, nor the smell of someone who didn't "spray and walk away" from some strong floral perfume in an elevator,  but I do like to relax with a cigarette and a glass of wine or beer. I wouldn't dream of smoking indoors or in my cabin or on my balcony as (a) the rules say No Way Jose and (b) I am mindful that the majority of people don't smoke.

But give me an authorized smoking section on a ship and I will smoke as many as I please

and should you come around waving your arms and coughing as if my cigarette is using up all the available oxygen despite several billion cubic feet of clean (ish) air that is all around you I will consider you an over-reacter, a rude person and a failed student of the Marcel Marceau Mime Academy. If on the other hand you are innocently swatting gnats which I can't see and brought a barking cough onboard with you then I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

If Azamara decided to be "smoke free" as Carnival did on just one ship only to find it was financially a bad idea, then they wouldn't get bookings from a potential 37 million US people. I wouldn't sail Azamara if it was Non Smoking and nor would my traveling companion who has never smoked. Where I go she goes and so it would be at least 37 million and 1 who would pass.

The ships are tiny. I get that. I've sailed on the Ocean Princess which was a sister to the Journey (now Oceania Sirena). If they can only afford me one smoking section then so be it.

Norris

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lottie A said:

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life and as a Doctor I am fully aware of the health implications of smoking. 

However...it seems to me that Azamara have got it right in their small smoking area. I often sit at the Pool bar tables and have never smelt smoke. I do laugh at the people who walk past it flapping their arms and coughing. If smoke is a problem for you ....and of course, it may be for anyone with a respiratory condition, then just walk or sit on the other side of the deck. I totally agree there should never be any smoking indoors. 

I do think the smokers are mostly fun people too. There always seems to be a lot of laughter in that little smoking corner. Personally, I don't like the smell of the smoke so I never sit there but it always seems like a party atmosphere going on, especially at might. 

Lottie, a voice of reason in an incendiary topic, which I wish wasn't so.

There's no reason why smokers shouldn't have fun people in their ranks and I am one of those

as you might know if you have read my schtick on CC. I live to laugh and am a live and let live kind of guy. As I have said in the post above I don't like the smell of smoke either but I like how smoking helps me relax, which is why it has become addictive. I have been smoking for 50 years with so far no ill effects. Lung cancer may be what kills me or shortens my life but I may be OK with that over being machine-gunned by some crazed loner in a nightclub or suffering Alzheimers.

Although I have yet to experience the Journey's smoking section by the pool bar it may be something that sways me away from the brand which I so much want to enjoy. I am spoiled by

Celebrity's recognition of the smoking passengers on board and the lengths they go to to make

us comfortable and welcomed (I am talking S Class ships). Bigger ships=more options and I understand that. After meals and when drinking alcohol is when I want a cigarette so I will be visiting the smoking section often on the Journey. You will find me there from 5 a.m to bedtime.

Cheers!

Norris

56 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Lottie, a voice of reason in an incendiary topic, which I wish wasn't so.

There's no reason why smokers shouldn't have fun people in their ranks and I am one of those

as you might know if you have read my schtick on CC. I live to laugh and am a live and let live kind of guy. As I have said in the post above I don't like the smell of smoke either but I like how smoking helps me relax, which is why it has become addictive. I have been smoking for 50 years with so far no ill effects. Lung cancer may be what kills me or shortens my life but I may be OK with that over being machine-gunned by some crazed loner in a nightclub or suffering Alzheimers.

Although I have yet to experience the Journey's smoking section by the pool bar it may be something that sways me away from the brand which I so much want to enjoy. I am spoiled by

Celebrity's recognition of the smoking passengers on board and the lengths they go to to make

us comfortable and welcomed (I am talking S Class ships). Bigger ships=more options and I understand that. After meals and when drinking alcohol is when I want a cigarette so I will be visiting the smoking section often on the Journey. You will find me there from 5 a.m to bedtime.

Cheers!

Norris

I reiterate that I am comfortable with current smoking rules on Azamara and Celebrity and hope you enjoy your cruise.   To quote a now deceased American  "Can't we all just get along?"   I also still want want RCI to adopt no smoking indoors.

10 hours ago, Tom47 said:

If we try Oceania, it will be with one of their bigger ships(bigger  bathrooms).  I get their catalogs and compare itineraries.

While the bathrooms are larger on the Marina and Riviera, the showers in the verandah cabins are not.  The bath tubs take up a great deal of space and the shower pays the price.  Celebrity's S class ship showers seemed much more generous in space.

22 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

While the bathrooms are larger on the Marina and Riviera, the showers in the verandah cabins are not.  The bath tubs take up a great deal of space and the shower pays the price.  Celebrity's S class ship showers seemed much more generous in space.

Well that's a bummer!!  So I may not try Oceania after all!  I like Celebrity S class showers and if I could get an Azamara itinerary on Celebrity, I would be a happy man.  Thanks for the info.

5 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

Well that's a bummer!!  So I may not try Oceania after all!  I like Celebrity S class showers and if I could get an Azamara itinerary on Celebrity, I would be a happy man.  Thanks for the info.

I would not let that deter you if you find the itinerary you want.  The ships are lovely and the cabin was quite spacious.  We were just surprised at the lack of space in the shower.  Food  and included specialty restaurants were outstanding.  

8 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

It's possible the 12 out of 700 referred to the number of smokers who can find seating near the Azamara pool at any given time. I'll find out for myself in January when I take up residence in the Journey's smoking section for 9 days. I would like an open air venue provided it had shelter from the wind and the rain but I'll take what I am given and be thankful.

Norris, you can seat at least 20 people in the smoking area at one time.

Without wishing to labour what seems to have become a smoking debate, there are more nationalities than just Americans who cruise Azamara and each of them has different general smoking habits.  Let’s not make this parochial.

Phil

On 11/14/2018 at 7:47 AM, Lottie A said:

Lottie (and Bimmer09)

You are correct that it is 'Party Central' in the one smoking area. It means that all the smokers get to know each other quickly and are bonding through 'shared adversity' (a bit of a tongue-in-cheek reference:classic_smile:).

We were right by the bar on Deck 9 and we had one waiter who kept the drinks coming - even going one floor up to get drinks after the Pool Bar closed.

We made good friends on that trip who have sailed with us since and we have have another mutual booking coming up. We are also going to their wedding next August.

i am a smoker, my husband not.  I really like the smoking area.  For me it is more than smoking, its a social thing, everybody talks to everybody, we are having fun, laugh.  People from around the world.  I make friends with non smoking passengers to but it takes more time.  My husband is always amaze that i make friends so quick onboard, my reply is always the same , the smoking area 🙂 I will never smoke inside or on the balcony.  Every cruise it amazed me to see people flapping their arms and give us the dirty look and say outloud Ouach those smokers.  We have just that tiny space and you have all the ship.  no need to pass by the smoking area, there is another door on the other side, and those flapping their arms don't seems to get it, because I see them everyday going through the smoking area flapping their arms, maybe it's a new workout 🙂

15 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Norris, you can seat at least 20 people in the smoking area at one time.

Without wishing to labour what seems to have become a smoking debate, there are more nationalities than just Americans who cruise Azamara and each of them has different general smoking habits.  Let’s not make this parochial.

Phil

Phil, thanks for the intel on the seating capacity in the smoking section. Sounds like there is room for me. I know Azamara isn't just for Americans- I am British after all and am holding a ticket for a cruise on the Journey. Someone mentioned the 15% of the smoking population which is what google says is the case in the USA. I didn't think that searching for the world's smoking population was appropriate or necessary for the post in hand. China and N. Korea lead the way in consumption but probably aren't heavily represented on Azamara I am guessing.

You are right that the last thing the world needs is another smoking debate on CC but it has brought forth some posts remarking how the smokers meet and enjoy other people on board  because of their shared habit and my experience is that I meet and enjoy the company of many fine folks by always having their company in a smoking section. We are forced to sit together while we puff. Most of the people I know on dry land are non-smokers so I don't go seeking smokers for validation. If I am alone in the smoking section that is fine as I can talk to these voices in my head.

Thanks for the comment!

Norris

• 8 months later...
17 minutes ago, Fatfish said:

Just curious; are cigarettes sold on Azamara?

Marlboro reds and Marlboro gold (lights) from the bars (certainly the pool bar next to the smoking area). About $5.50 a pack IIRC.

No cigars:classic_sad:.

• Like 1