Ship temperature

carol515

we will be heading to Alaska the end of May. I know when outside to dress in layers but what about inside. Is it usually cool inside or warm. We never did Alaska before. Trying to decide what to bring. Husband is never cold I can go either way.

Better too cold than to hot. If it is too​ cold you can put on another layer of clothing. If it is too hot there is a limit to how many layers of clothing you can remove.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

It is impossible to predict what ship interior temperatures for any ship that you will experience. One area of the ship may be too warm, another area too cool, and the other "just right" The Goldilocks syndrome, I guess. You will want to plan for "layers" sailing to Alaska and that ought to be satisfactory for either inside or outside of the ship.

We have spent over 1000 days on cruise ships and the only rule about interior temps are there are no rules :(. We agree with other posters that there is a tendency towards cooler temps which means that ladies particularly like to have some kind of light wrap like a scarf, sweater, etc. But ships can often have cool/cold spots and also have warm spots. And this can even change from day to day as some folks complain and they try to adjust the temps.

Hank

It's hard to say for sure. If you are often cold, it will probably feel chilly. If you are never cold, like me, it'll be comfortable. If you have a sweater, you'll probably be fine. Dress in layers.

we will be heading to Alaska the end of May. I know when outside to dress in layers but what about inside. Is it usually cool inside or warm. We never did Alaska before. Trying to decide what to bring. Husband is never cold I can go either way.

I'm always cold inside ships..

Bring layers..:cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Holland America now has a policy to have utilities turned off in public areas between 12 midnight and 5 am as a cost saving. So that means heat and cooling will be turned off between 12 midnight and 5 a.m. I would think if you are cruising in real hot areas it may be hot in the morning until the AC can adequately cool the area and cold in an area where the heat is turned off.

On our last cruise on Zuiderdam Panama Canal, temps varied from very warm to very chilly with no rhyme or reason. You could walk down the hallway, encounter extremely warm temps and not 100 feet away cold temps. However, in general I find on all of our cruises showroom, lounge and restaurant areas tend to be on the cooler side. I always take a wrap or light sweater with me on the ship as just way too difficult to predict what the temp will be at the specific time I am there. And after 30 minutes of freezing, it can suddenly turn warm so off comes the sweater.

Doubt if Alaska will be any different.

Jane

Thanks for the info. As a sufferor from cold uticaria that developed in my 50s and has gotten worse over the years, this info is vital. I'll be forewarned to bring my meds, layers and an epi-pen in case of an unpredictable event. Definitely my last trip to Alaska, but I couldn't resist seeing it one more time.