I missed my early flight because...

ArkTraveler82

I just booked flights for our October cruise, yay! :D For the return flight, I really wanted to book an 11:05 am departure out of Miami, which would have saved us $80 total and gotten us home an hour earlier. We have a long drive home so the extra hour makes a difference. However, I was nervous with too early of a flight so went the safe route and spent the extra $80 for peace of mind. Cruise lines suggest a noon or later flight but I've read tons of posts where people easily made their early flights. Trying to make this decision got me to wondering how often cruisers miss early flights due to debarkation hangups, etc, and I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their story?

TIA and happy cruising!!!

no disrespect meant here but if every single person made an early flight here it doesn't mean anything for you. Ships get into port late at times, customs sometimes takes much longer, traffic accidents on the road toward the airport, security lines at the airport over 1 hour long...

you need to be accepting that no matter what anyone posts here about their specific situation, it doesn't mean that you will make it.

I would spend the extra $80 for peace of mind and lose the hour.

no disrespect meant here but if every single person made an early flight here it doesn't mean anything for you. Ships get into port late at times, customs sometimes takes much longer, traffic accidents on the road toward the airport, security lines at the airport over 1 hour long...

you need to be accepting that no matter what anyone posts here about their specific situation, it doesn't mean that you will make it.

She said they did spend the extra money for the later flight, she was just curious about anyone's experiences who may not have made their earlier flights and what happened

I would have totally booked an 11:05 out of Miami. Yes, things can happen, but in general, we have always caught our 10:50 am flight out of FLL with no timing issues. (If the ship gets in on time and released on time). You can generally be off the ship by 7:30 or earlier, traffic is usually light at that time of the day as well. Self-assist and depart the ship early and you will have no problems timing wise. Yes, yes, things can happen, ship can be late, not released because of something, flights can change, an accident can block the highway....yadda, yadda, yadda. In general you'll be fine. We book early flights home due to non-stops and lower prices. Haven't missed one yet. If it happens, it happens and we will deal with that at the time. We are pretty good with rolling with the punches.

We had a customs delay on my last cruise and I didn't get off the ship until after 11am. I don't fly home and I usually have a couple days off after the cruise so I'm never in a hurry...but anyone with an early flight on that day would've been in trouble.

I DID buy the later tickets because I realize that whatever happens on someone's cruise may not happen on mine. I enjoy reading other people's stories / experiences and thought it might be interesting reading for other's to share their stories and what situations they found themselves in that caused them to miss an early flight.

Always take an early flight no problems. Off the Vista last Saturday and at the airport at approx 7:15am. Platinum Self Assist.

I wanted to take the earlier flight so bad!!! I almost hit the buy button, backed out, and went with the later flight, lol. Thought about going the self assist route but started reading posts where people arrived in port late due to medical emergencies, hurricane rerouting (we're cruising in hurricane season), etc. I realize there are rare circumstances that could cause us to even miss the noon flight, but chances are, we'll get to the airport in plenty of time to have made the earlier flight and THEN I'll wish I had booked it. ;p

I wanted to take the earlier flight so bad!!! I almost hit the buy button, backed out, and went with the later flight, lol. Thought about going the self assist route but started reading posts where people arrived in port late due to medical emergencies, hurricane rerouting (we're cruising in hurricane season), etc. I realize there are rare circumstances that could cause us to even miss the noon flight, but chances are, we'll get to the airport in plenty of time to have made the earlier flight and THEN I'll wish I had booked it. ;p

You can always check at the airport if they can accommodate you on the earlier flight. Most planes are full, but you never know.

I wouldn't think you will... imagine booking the early flight.. you will now worry about this until the cruise... you will panic a little bit on the cruise and definitely have some anxiety... the last day will be FILLED with anxiety and nervousness so even if you make it on time, you will have enjoyed yourself a bit (to a lot) less because of the stress of worrying...

Even if you make it to the airport in time for the first flight... you should not wish you booked it.. your stress level would have been not worth the effort.

Enjoy the cruise and KNOW you planned it correctly!

I wouldn't think you will... imagine booking the early flight.. you will now worry about this until the cruise... you will panic a little bit on the cruise and definitely have some anxiety... the last day will be FILLED with anxiety and nervousness so even if you make it on time, you will have enjoyed yourself a bit (to a lot) less because of the stress of worrying...

Even if you make it to the airport in time for the first flight... you should not wish you booked it.. your stress level would have been not worth the effort.

I guess I'm a low stress/drama type of person. Never do I fret or panic the day before nor the day of departure and it has no bearing on my cruise relaxation or enjoyment at all. I don't even give it a second thought.

I have everything packed up the night before so all I have to do is change from my pajamas into my clothes I left out, pack them away and zip up my suitcase. Then off the ship I go.

But I can agree that it's not for everyone. If you feel that it will cause you angst and you just can't bring yourself to deal with it, then book a later flight. I'm a roll with the punches kind of gal. I do what I can and if I miss it, then chances are a whole lot of other people will too. If the ship is delayed due to weather, or whatever, then no guarantee that later flights will make it either. It's a gamble that I am willing to take but also can't fault others who can't cope with whatever type of stress it causes them.

We almost missed our 12:30 flight home out of FLL, literally running through the airport with the door being held at the gate with the agent yelling our name as we ran toward him. It was all because of customs at the port. Carnival was prioritizing people with "early" flight times to get off the ship first and kept stopping us from getting in line since they didn't consider our flight early enough. We finally stopped listening and went through the line. They were also asking anyone who was driving to wait, but there were people in the customs line around us that were driving or getting picked up so that didn't really help.

I think 11am *should* be fine, but it's definitely something I'd worry about after that experience. I'd have paid the extra for the peace of mind, too.

We almost missed our 12:30 flight home out of FLL, literally running through the airport with the door being held at the gate with the agent yelling our name as we ran toward him. It was all because of customs at the port. Carnival was prioritizing people with "early" flight times to get off the ship first and kept stopping us from getting in line since they didn't consider our flight early enough. We finally stopped listening and went through the line. They were also asking anyone who was driving to wait, but there were people in the customs line around us that were driving or getting picked up so that didn't really help.

I think 11am *should* be fine, but it's definitely something I'd worry about after that experience. I'd have paid the extra for the peace of mind, too.

That sounds like poor organization to me. I would just tell them you have an early flight next time and get in line.

I will add that I would only attempt an early flight if I did Self Assist and was either Platinum/Diamond/Suite or FTTF.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Funny, when I book an 11AM flight, none of the things you mentioned have happened to me. I usually get to either MIA or FLL airport by 8am or so, breeze through security because the airport is EMPTY at that time and I have Global Entry/TSA Precheck anyway.

There's no stress or worry for me at all involved in this process. I also fly in the morning of my cruise, never had a problem or worry there either in maybe 25 or 30.cruises out of the same 2 ports

Guess we have different personalities.

Just for future reference, we always take an 11am + or _ 30 minutes flight home from Miami but we ALWAYS do self-disembarkation and we both also have our Trusted Traveler so we go through the accelerated security line at the airport. Because we travel so much, we are experts at packing to go through airport security and don't take anything that causes security any concern. I generally leave all my liquids on the ship. We are usually off the ship by 7:30 and at the gate no later than 8:45 and even have time to get breakfast at the airport. I usually pick up a couple of sandwiches and bottled water for the plane home and even shop for souvenirs before boarding - so yes, we have plenty of time at the airport. It seems that reason we have been so successful doing this is because we are among the first off the ship and get to the airport BEFORE busloads of cruisers start showing up. We have nothing to check, so it's a breeze to grab out tickets at a kiosk and head for the expedited security line.

Anyway, it's a calculated risk but we've had no problem so far.

Unless you have serious issues needling an early flight, why not take a later one? Our next cruise flight heading back isn't until 3:00 PM.

Aside from killing time finding something else to do, the stress of making that flight "just ain't worth it!"

My opinion, of course!;)