I missed my early flight because...

ArkTraveler82

Last month we had a 10:40 a.m. flight home from FLL. It's earlier than I like to book, but it was a choice of taking that nonstop flight or taking a 2:30 p.m. flight (or later) that we would have to change planes. We were at the airport in plenty of time after doing self-disembarkation.

Once we were in Port Everglades on its busiest day ever (15 cruise ships in port--Dec. 21, 2003). Fortunately, we were staying overnight and were not in a hurry.

My brother and his wife missed a 2:00 flight after their first trans-Atlantic cruise. They did not realize the extra scrutiny such cruises received from Customs and Immigration officials.

Can anyone do self assist or do you you have to have FTTF or platinum or above status?

You have to have FTTF or be Platinum or Gold to get off in the earliest self-assist group. Other than that you can still do self -assist but must wait until your group is called. It will be soon after FTTF and Platinum and Gold are disembarked.

You have to have FTTF or be Platinum or Gold to get off in the earliest self-assist group. Other than that you can still do self -assist but must wait until your group is called. It will be soon after FTTF and Platinum and Gold are disembarked.

You mean Platinum or Diamond (not Gold). Don't forget Suites get priority debark as well as FTTF.

Hi there

Everyone knows that if there are no problems that you can do self assist and get to the airport early. One of the previous post said as much "do it all the time with no problem". Of course if you make it there is no problem.

That isn't the question, the question is, if you did miss your flight (because no matter what else is said it is possible) how much of an inconvenience would this be to you. The OP said that they would have to spend $80 more for a later flight and it would add 1 hr. to their trip. I just would not say that is worth it. If you were talking about 2-3 hundred dollars and it was 4-5 hr. delay, now at least you would have something to think about.

Hi there

Everyone knows that if there are no problems that you can do self assist and get to the airport early. One of the previous post said as much "do it all the time with no problem". Of course if you make it there is no problem.

That isn't the question, the question is, if you did miss your flight (because no matter what else is said it is possible) how much of an inconvenience would this be to you. The OP said that they would have to spend $80 more for a later flight and it would add 1 hr. to their trip. I just would not say that is worth it. If you were talking about 2-3 hundred dollars and it was 4-5 hr. delay, now at least you would have something to think about.

Personally, I would have stayed with the earlier flight, but on the next day. Then use that saved $80 towards the cost of a hotel and meals. But, we would be enjoying an extra day of vacation, exploring yet another port city. I can't remember every flying home the day we got off the ship. Just seems too abrupt an end of my "fun" time for me.

Something to consider when booking early flights. If you have flight / travel insurance, check if there are any requirements related to timing. For example we once purchased travel insurance that required us to book a flight that departed more than 5 hours after the expected time of the cruise ship's arrival in port. If our flights had been scheduled to leave earlier than 5 hours after the expected arrival, we would not have been covered in the event that we missed our flight due to the ship being late. Worth checking before purchasing insurance or booking flights.

Personally, I would have stayed with the earlier flight, but on the next day. Then use that saved $80 towards the cost of a hotel and meals. But, we would be enjoying an extra day of vacation, exploring yet another port city. I can't remember every flying home the day we got off the ship. Just seems too abrupt an end of my "fun" time for me.

We did that once and it was the worst decision ever. The boys wanted to go to the Everglades park so that's what we planned, but the weather was unusually freezing cold so we could forget about doing anything outside. We ended up just going to the hotel which we had to wait a couple hours until they had a room ready. By the time we got up there, my kids kept saying how they just wanted to go home. DH and I agreed and never did that again. I usually go down a day before so that I can relax and officially start my vacation, but when it's time to go, I'm ready to get back. No sense in delaying the inevitable.

You can always check at the airport if they can accommodate you on the earlier flight. Most planes are full, but you never know.

You do know that without airline elite status, same day changes will cost you fees and perhaps fare differentials.

You can't just show up and get put on an earlier flight for free simply because you want to.

Thanks for all the responses! I enjoyed reading everyone's preferences and experiences. I'd love to extend our vacation another day and just chill out in Miami but we're flying in 3 days before our cruise to spend time with friends who live in Florida. Hubby has to be back at work that Monday :loudcry: and our drive home from the airport is several hours. Thanks again!

You do know that without airline elite status, same day changes will cost you fees and perhaps fare differentials.

You can't just show up and get put on an earlier flight for free simply because you want to.

It's $75 now (used to be $50) with Delta and I think American too, no difference in fare if you do it same day. I have done it myself. Southwest is free. I never said all of them were no charge but it won't cost you hundreds per person. It doesn't hurt to ask. I don't have elite status with any airlines. Also if you're traveling on miles, some fares don't charge for same day changes, either. I was simply putting another option out there for those who might not want to wait around for hours at the airport. It's up to them to find out what it might cost them.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Always take an early flight no problems. Off the Vista last Saturday and at the airport at approx 7:15am. Platinum Self Assist.

One exception like this is meaningless when considering how to make an INTELLIGENT decision.

The only reasonable way of figuring what time to book a flight is to have a reasonable grasp of what USUALLY happens, and then go ahead and book the flight. If you have no way of knowing what usually happens, you might just go with the recommendation of the ship/line - who do know what usually happens.

Finally, you have to know the likely cost involved if you miss that flight. If there are a lot of later flights to your destination, the risk of missing yours is more acceptable than it would if there were few, or no, later flights that day.

One exception like this is meaningless when considering how to make an INTELLIGENT decision.

The only reasonable way of figuring what time to book a flight is to have a reasonable grasp of what USUALLY happens, and then go ahead and book the flight. If you have no way of knowing what usually happens, you might just go with the recommendation of the ship/line - who do know what usually happens.

Finally, you have to know the likely cost involved if you miss that flight. If there are a lot of later flights to your destination, the risk of missing yours is more acceptable than it would if there were few, or no, later flights that day.

Like I said I always take early flights as my experience has shown me that what USUALLY happens is that the ship is docked super early in the AM, is cleared quickly, and they start debarking people between 6:45AM and 7:15AM. Medical emergencies, bad weather, other issues are the exception, not the norm. So what USUALLY happens is that if you follow what the cruise line recommends, you will be waiting for hours upon hours at the airport which I don't care to do for various reasons. Trust me, back in my early days of cruising we never booked flights before noon, etc. Even found ourselves having to wait out in the main lobby of FLL once because we were too early to check our bags. I prefer MIA for this among other reasons over FLL. HATE that airport!

I agree that you must weigh all your options and make your own decisions based upon your individual situation and or tolerance for "stress".

I personally find it amusing that the same folks who have no problem sitting and reading, or listening to music, or watching a movie on the tablet while on a ship now are bored and frustrated when sitting in an airport.

If you are sitting around an airport doing nothing and don't like that, you haven't prepped for the wait. Buy a newspaper and see what's happened in the world. Read a book. Play a video game. Watch the people. Watch the airplanes.

I was allowed on an earlier flight recently without charge, but when I asked again when I changed planes at my interim stop, they asked for $75 to do so.

I personally find it amusing that the same folks who have no problem sitting and reading, or listening to music, or watching a movie on the tablet while on a ship now are bored and frustrated when sitting in an airport.

If you are sitting around an airport doing nothing and don't like that, you haven't prepped for the wait. Buy a newspaper and see what's happened in the world. Read a book. Play a video game. Watch the people. Watch the airplanes.

I do none of those things so at least I'm consistent [emoji3]. Besides, the airport is FREEZING!! I think it's ridiculous that I almost need to bring a winter jacket to sit in an airport in Florida! Couldn't get me out of there fast enough last Saturday. My mom even bought a day pass to the Delta Sky Club and couldn't stay in there for more than an hour. It was "warmer" down by the gate.