Sickness on Infinity?

phoenix_dream

Just got off a cruise on infinity the 17th. One day when in port my friend and I were taking our time getting off the ship because we didn't have plans, while walking down the hall on a lower lever there was a cleaning crew and one of them had some sort of steam wand, the guy would knock on doors and opening them up and spraying some of the steam inside, not sure what it was but it made my friend with lung problems have a coughing attack a few minutes later. I really didn't smell much and odor but something was going on.

Was on 4/2/2017 West Bound Panama Canal, during the first couple of days, crew was at every venue with hand held sanitizer, in addition to the stands. Also, buffet (all food) was served by crew those first days. I liked the crew serving in buffet. Yes it was a bit slower, but I feel more sanitary. Nothing like passangers not using sanitizer (saw quite a few), and then touching the serving utensils. I did come down with a cold, and heard lots of coughing on the ship. Sad, but saw some coughing & not even trying to cover their mouths. :rolleyes:

Brenda

Yes our staff was also very good, they were going around wiping off all the surfaces over and over where people touched all the time. We even had bathroom people who cleaned up after each quest and opened the door for you for the first 48 hours. I do have to say they really try their hardest to keep people healthy and I appreciate it very much. For the age of the ship I think they do a pretty good job at keeping it up. I'm sure that people get onboard sick and that's where most of the of the germs get started from, after so many flying in for cruises and we know how planes can be.

Ric

We sailed Jan 22 to Feb.19 2017 on Infinity. It was sick when we boarded in Santiago but very quickly the preventive measures were lifted and we sailed healthy the rest of the trip. The staff was outstanding.

Chris

We were Infinity last Oct..ABC Islands. No illness on board that we noticed and ship, though aging, was kept clean

We' ll be back on her Oct 2017..hoping by then all good

Bad year all over for flu, strep, upper resp virus...hoping Spring brings better health...just the usual allergies.

I was also on the 4/2 sailing (15 nights). Noro precautions the first few days and then they stopped them. Talked to one of the senior officers who said no more reported problems. Some have mentioned hearing a lot of coughing onboard. Honestly, I did not. And for the first time in several cruises, neither DH nor I ended up catching a cold onboard. So at least as of that cruise, all was good.

DH and I were also on the 4/2/17 sailing for 15 nights. Boarding was delayed while they did a deep clean and at check in - once someone stepped away from the checkin counter - staff was there cleaning the counter off with disinfectant however the pen was used over and over without cleaning - I always use my own.

If something is going around on a ship - I'm the one that always catches it - and for once I did an entire cruise healthy. Perhaps just better luck but I also did NOT go into the buffet. We ate in Luminae or a specialty and in my mind this made the difference for me. I won't always be able to avoid the buffet but might try different strategies to not touch directly the serving pieces.

I did not hear much coughing on this trip - and I always notice as I try to avoid the coughing or else I become the coughing. LOL

A few years ago, I went on a family cruise. The third day my brother became so very sick. What does the sick person do? Luckily we had antibiotics with us and now travel with them always. My brother was so sick it was hard to keep it a secret but we tried our best as we didn't want him to be quarantined. We paid thousands of dollars to be on that ship. Of course, you don't want to get anyone else sick, but also don't want to hide in your cabin for a whole week.

I was on the 2nd April Infinity cruise through the canal and second week into the cruise came down with a bad cold and cough. Unfortunately I am still coughing, went to the doctors last week and was told it was just a virus. It didn't spoil the my cruise and my DH and I had brilliant time and met some lovely people.

Just another observation per se. I am a person who walks by the hand sanitizers when heading into dinner. Why? Because I always stop at the restroom first and wash my hands thoroughly. I then use my own sanitizer after handling the menus. Just a point that things are not always what they seem.

I'm on the Infinity now and although I see a lot of cleaning going on, I have not heard of any sickness on board.

The numbers of people who walk right past the hand sanitisers at entrance to food areas - a lot.

Very relieved to hear this. We board May 17. I hope you are having a great cruise!

I will be on the Infinity starting June 4th, hopefully things are better by then but I have the utmost faith in the crew doing all they can. They can't help if passengers continue to not use sanitizer stations or wash their hands. It must be more frustrating for the crew than for the passengers, most of whom don't end up getting sick. When we were on the Solstice last year they had people stationed outside the buffet entrances holding a huge bottle of hand sanitizer and squirting it into everyone's hands. It really helped to stop people from not using it, you felt obligated since a person was there doing it for you. They also almost always had someone in the mens restrooms. The person wasn't responsible for telling people to wash their hands but I bet having someone in there results in more people washing their hands before they leave. I don't know if the Solstice was "sick" that week but maybe that's why these measures were in place. I ended up with a horrible cold the last couple of days, unfortunately but I'd rather have a cold than noro. The worst of the cold didn't kick in until I got home, which was fine by me, I'd rather enjoy the cruise and be sick at home.

Maybe they should devote a large section of cabins as a hospital. You can get the flu or noro anywhere there are groups/people in close contact with each other. You can get it from land, sea, air, it is all around. It does not have to come from the ship but brought on to the ship. If I had to worry about it I would not travel.

One thing I do is start taking Probiotics before the travel, and during the trip.

Yes, we both have been sick on our travel adventures, one sickness was serious enough to be hospitalized in Peru, and that was an adventure in itself.

I also am presently on the Infinity. We boarded on April 2nd in Miami and are nearing the end of the second leg of a B2B.

We have completed over 30 Celebrity cruises, and my judgement is that the cleaning we are currently seeing is the normal level. But we have a passenger in Luminae who is really ooughing and has been doing so for several days.

"BubbaLuvin" asked what a sick person should do -- I think they should report to the medical center for treatment and self-quarantine.

Yes. I get that is what the sick person should do, but after paying thousands of dollars to be on the ship, and did not enter the ship sick... it's hard to decide not to enjoy the ship! I think most people keep their mouth shut. We brought our own antibiotics as I read it's common place to get sick on a cruise. Thank heavens we had those antibiotics!

I......

"BubbaLuvin" asked what a sick person should do -- I think they should report to the medical center for treatment and self-quarantine.

They also should not arbitrarily take antibiotics either, without knowing what is truly causing the illness. Antibiotics do nothing for viruses, which is what you will often catch during travels. That kind of misuse (or potential misuse) is one of the main reasons many antibiotics are becoming ineffective. I question a doctor who randomly prescribes antibiotics for people 'just in case'. Of course if someone has certain conditions that may be appropriate so I can't and won't make comments on the particular person mentioned - but in 'normal' cases it is definitely not.

Yes. I get that is what the sick person should do, but after paying thousands of dollars to be on the ship, and did not enter the ship sick... it's hard to decide not to enjoy the ship! I think most people keep their mouth shut. We brought our own antibiotics as I read it's common place to get sick on a cruise. Thank heavens we had those antibiotics!

I get that it's hard not to enjoy the ship. But it seems really unfair to expose other people to getting sick when they too paid their money to be there.

If they weren't sick when they boarded, that means they picked it up from someone else who decided their vacation outweighed other peoples.

I get that it's hard not to enjoy the ship. But it seems really unfair to expose other people to getting sick when they too paid their money to be there.

If they weren't sick when they boarded, that means they picked it up from someone else who decided their vacation outweighed other peoples.

I both agree and disagree. I think a lot depends on the illness. I am not going to quarantine myself, or go to the doctor onboard, for a simple cold. It's an annoyance but one cannot really escape from being exposed to colds no matter where you go. If I were as sick as was mentioned (I think the term very sick was said, I don't recall exactly) then I would certainly reconsider that decision.

The other point is that many times people are contagious long before symptoms present. Or also think they are no longer contagious from a previous illness - did you know that according to the CDC noro can be spread up to 14 days past inception?! I'll bet most people do not. And diseases can be picked up in port while out on excursions or walking about and interacting with locals and other tourists. My point is that I don't think it is by any means always a matter that people decided their vacation outweighed other peoples. Sometimes yes, but certainly not always. Probably not even most of the time I would guess.

Just another observation per se. I am a person who walks by the hand sanitizers when heading into dinner. Why? Because I always stop at the restroom first and wash my hands thoroughly. I then use my own sanitizer after handling the menus. Just a point that things are not always what they seem.

I do this as well. I've seen way tooooo many situations both on land and sea where a person serves themselves at the buffet, gets something on a finger, licks finger and continues to serve themselves from current spoon or future spoon down the buffet line. :p

Menus, ketchup bottles, salt and pepper shakers are the germiest places on the table. :eek: