Tips: cash or on the ticket

bobbismith

" On land a hotel bartender gets $12/hr +food +72% of health insurance."

I own restaurants in Colorado. Please don't say what state you are talking about as all my bartenders would move. Where do you get 72% of health insurance. In Colorado, bartenders are tipped position, the minimum wage is $6.30 an hour. Restaurants with less than 50 employees are not required to get health insurance.

The servers have told me that they prefer to receive tips in cash because tips on the card take approximately 6 weeks to get to them. We do Cheers and typically tip an extra dollar per drink.

Also, we have found that tipping cash early on provides exceptional, prompt service for the cruise. Meaning, we can walk up to the bar and the bartender starts making on drinks, regardless of whom else may be there or when we get to our spot by the aft pool, the waiter immediately appears to ask if we need anything.

I tipped $1 per drink last cruise with cheers ( even on soda) and feel like I got no recognition at all or any preferential treatment at all... it was really odd. We would still have to flag down waiters on the deck- you would think if they knew they'd get extra tips they'd go to those people first lol- at least I did when I bartended many years ago!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't know how to let people who think they can bribe a bar tender with a larger tip to get faster service or a "generous" pour that is just flat wrong.

While i will agree with you that tipping wont get you free drinks, i will disagree that it wont get you faster service....i make it a point to find and tip bartenders on the Lido deck and the Atrium bar....After the 2nd day, if my bartender is working, the lines can be 2 or 3 deep but when they see me, they will point to the end of the bar and make my drink right away. Yes, i pay for it, but i save time....i dont look at it as "bribery", i look at it as "to insure prompt service"....I am rewarding for prompt service :)

Where do you get 72% of health insurance?

I am referring to four and five star hotels owned by groups with thousands of employees, who must provide bene's to those working more than 30 hours per week.

While i will agree with you that tipping wont get you free drinks, i will disagree that it wont get you faster service....i make it a point to find and tip bartenders on the Lido deck and the Atrium bar....After the 2nd day, if my bartender is working, the lines can be 2 or 3 deep but when they see me, they will point to the end of the bar and make my drink right away. Yes, i pay for it, but i save time....i dont look at it as "bribery", i look at it as "to insure prompt service"....I am rewarding for prompt service :)

Funny I often get the same service, but never pre tip and rarely (if ever) tip per drink.

Oh but I am nice to the staff and treat them like humans.

Funny I often get the same service, but never pre tip and rarely (if ever) tip per drink.

Oh but I am nice to the staff and treat them like humans.

Funny story. We often say we wish our mortgage companies would take "thank you" as payment .We would rather be ran like dogs and make money

; )

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

I tipped $1 per drink last cruise with cheers ( even on soda) and feel like I got no recognition at all or any preferential treatment at all... it was really odd. We would still have to flag down waiters on the deck- you would think if they knew they'd get extra tips they'd go to those people first lol- at least I did when I bartended many years ago!!

This was my experience as well.

We start out with cash. Everyone LOVES cash, no way physically track what you have. But once the ones are gone, then the extra $1 per drink will get added to the ticket.

I case you didn't know it, guest services will change bigger bills into $1s. We always bring $1s but at times do run out thru out the cruise, found I could get more at guest services. I was in the service industry for years, that little extra tip means a lot and adds up.

Pat

I am referring to four and five star hotels owned by groups with thousands of employees, who must provide bene's to those working more than 30 hours per week.

That has nothing to do with the bartenders on Carnival ships!! And, where do you get they make $4 an hour? I beleve they are paid the same as all employees which is around $75 a month. We tip an extra $1 or $2 because we appreciate all they do!

Pat

Funny story. We often say we wish our mortgage companies would take "thank you" as payment .We would rather be ran like dogs and make money

Each beverage you order already has 15% tip tied to it on the tab ,.,,, so not tipping a drink waiter in cash doesn't mean they don't get a tip. :)

This is what smart people do in regards to drinking:)

I can speak for myself and many of my co workers, we remember tippers and always remember the ones that don't tip even more.I realize that tips are included so while cruising we all do what's best for us and in my drinking days a $20 and a friendly hello on the first day works wonders !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Well said, couldn't agree more

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

Each beverage you order already has 15% tip tied to it on the tab ,.,,, so not tipping a drink waiter in cash doesn't mean they don't get a tip. :)

I do know that ! my response was to post #33 about being friendly and treated like human beings and service

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

So you are willing to just let current waiting customers be looked over for you?

I am just not that person, and if some bartender looked over me standing there to wait on someone who just walked up, you better believe I am going to say something--then he is risking tips by all those other people that just got looked over.

Not a great overall strategy. We all pay tips, and believe me, mine would definitely be removed if I was looked over.

That is how it worked for us at the stationary bar. We gave a $1 per drink and stuck with one bartender. We would walk up with our card, and she would help us, no matter if there were three people, or 30 people waiting.

So you are willing to just let current waiting customers be looked over for you?

I am just not that person, and if some bartender looked over me standing there to wait on someone who just walked up, you better believe I am going to say something--then he is risking tips by all those other people that just got looked over.

Not a great overall strategy. We all pay tips, and believe me, mine would definitely be removed if I was looked over.

Have you ever been in a bar? This isn't the deli counter at the supermarket that has set numbers for everyone in line. People are lined up during busy times 2 and 3 deep. You ever been to the bar on the Lido deck? During busy times, such as sea days, I have seen 3 or 4 bartenders working the bar. So if you are standing at one end of the bar and someone walks up to the other end of the bar after you, you are going to make a scene and declare "I was here before the guy in the pink flowered shirt" and proceed to GS to remove the tips? Seriously? Yes, I have been to the Lido deck during busy times. If the bartender I have tipped well previously sees me, he/she will have my cocktail within 30 seconds.You won't even know it ever happened [emoji6]

Have you ever been in a bar? This isn't the deli counter at the supermarket that has set numbers for everyone in line. People are lined up during busy times 2 and 3 deep. You ever been to the bar on the Lido deck? During busy times, such as sea days, I have seen 3 or 4 bartenders working the bar. So if you are standing at one end of the bar and someone walks up to the other end of the bar after you, you are going to make a scene and declare "I was here before the guy in the pink flowered shirt" and proceed to GS to remove the tips? Seriously? Yes, I have been to the Lido deck during busy times. If the bartender I have tipped well previously sees me, he/she will have my cocktail within 30 seconds.You won't even know it ever happened [emoji6]

I certainly will know--I have been on 9 cruises and most people are served in an orderly fashion.

All I have to do is stand there watching until I am served. And YES, if a bartender overlooks waiting customers to serve someone who just walked up, I have and will say I was waiting first. It has happened to my daughter with her bubbles card and I wont let that go by either...I paid for that and I always tip another buck per soda. Nobody is better than the next person and all deserve the same respect.

And yes, if the bartender were to ignore that--he will not be tipped by me for anything and previous tips for all drinks would be removed along with a complaint to guest services. You are no better than me or my daughter.

I am also the person who will let them know that someone else was there before myself or my daughter if they come to us before waiting on someone who was there first. Its respect.

This! Also, the best ones will know your folio # by heart and even if busy will get your drink for you and just ring it up after. No SnS card needed!

I certainly will know--I have been on 9 cruises and most people are served in an orderly fashion.

All I have to do is stand there watching until I am served. And YES, if a bartender overlooks waiting customers to serve someone who just walked up, I have and will say I was waiting first. It has happened to my daughter with her bubbles card and I wont let that go by either...I paid for that and I always tip another buck per soda. Nobody is better than the next person and all deserve the same respect.

And yes, if the bartender were to ignore that--he will not be tipped by me for anything and previous tips for all drinks would be removed along with a complaint to guest services. You are no better than me or my daughter.

I am also the person who will let them know that someone else was there before myself or my daughter if they come to us before waiting on someone who was there first. Its respect.

You sound like a ball of sunshine wrapped in sprinkles [emoji23]

Question....so you are standing there and apparently you have savant skills that you have memorized everyone's order in respect to when they should be served. If the bartender looks up and says "what can I get for you". You already know the woman in the yellow bikini standing 20 feet away got there 12 seconds before you. Are you going to tell the bartender he should go down by her and help her first? [emoji848]