Just Back from the Rhine on Uniworld SS Antoinette!

acwmom

After walking around town, the morning clouds had burned off, and we decided to tackle Pilatus. We took our vouchers to the Tourism office (in the train station, next to Burger King) and exchanged them for our winter pass. They provided us with a map, and very good directions. All we had to do was take bus #1 to the Pilatus stop, and walk 5 minutes to the tram station.

The bus ride didn't take too long, and once we got off, directions were clearly marked. The five minute walk was all uphill, which made for a good, brief workout. We arrived at the station at the same time as two tourist buses....unfortunately, I ended up behind a demanding customer at the ticket booth, and the busload emptied. Thankfully, the process for the gondolas (the first part of the ascent) was quick, so falling behind the busload didn't result in a delay.

The gondolas held four people, but since it wasn't busy, they were allowing people to travel in any number, up to four. It was a very quiet, and smooth ride.

33181934093_54dc93ee03_z.jpg

Some scenery, along the way

33837312012_727b9a3f44_b.jpg

33182008733_03174c6ca4_b.jpg

Pilatus, in the distance, with both the gondolas and cable car route visible

33182037643_7d22e127bc_b.jpg

A paraglider! Still on my bucket list

33837348492_853a141358_z.jpg

The transition point from the gondolas to the aerial cableway. There was a backup, at this juncture, so we took time out for a beer

33609384140_21e789565c_z.jpg

Beautiful shots of Pilatus. You took the bus to Kriens? That's the route we used, though we drove there and parked in one of the lots near the gondola station.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Yes, it was Kriens. (Don't have my map at work with me:-) )

We drank our beer, and let the line die down. The cable car capacity is 55, but they seemed to only be sending 30 at a time, or fewer, which was fine. The cable car was replaced 2 years ago, with a more modern version, named the "dragon's ride". It takes only a short 3.5 minutes to get to the top.

One of the two cars, en route:

33839990822_245cb3b107_b.jpg

Another view of the church, with its cross at the top of the hill.

33612237600_d526fa8353_z.jpg

"Dragon's ride" near the loading/unloading zone:

33612168910_4a7d01e0a0_b.jpg

And, an overview picture with the cable car station on the left, one of the two hotels in the middle, and the cog rail track and station on the right (it is closed until mid-May)

33154205004_cfa9459941_b.jpg

of course, there are also more strenuous ways to reach the top. These poor snowshoers took a long break during their ascent.

33840035582_eff4a43ee9_b.jpg

Can you see the mountain goat?

33956266836_80b8a1e7f0_b.jpg

Wow. It is so beautiful up there! I never get tired of that view. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I know! We just stood there, and took it all in. So glad we had a sunny day!

I'll eventually get to the cruise part[emoji3]

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dinner night #2

We chose the Rathaus Brauerei. We started with their brewed-on-site beer, and enjoyed some complimentary fresh bread.

6721240fe59740d8eeb7bea85b7ed515.jpg

Next, came the Lucerne cheese pie-very tasty

d31f828a3cfbaa991ee10767e12a1f68.jpg

I had the Nuremberg sausage and kraut

875abd1a249bf3dd121967e5f5dfd056.jpg

My husband had the Rathaus sausage and potato salad

6d5785c7bcfce50ee7487e8e2e802042.jpg

For dessert, the white chocolate toblerone mousse

46284431d6783da397a82a15c03ae5dd.jpg

184c482261d2d5f6fa5d41132fb5b9d0.jpg

Robin

Robin thank you for sharing this beautiful trip. Love all your photos. Those mountains are so gorgeous and clear and crisp. Was it freezing cold up there? We have been following you with a lot of interest as we are taking a similar trip in Sept. on the Rhine. We will be traveling in Switzerland for 7 days prior to our cruise and will be spending a couple of days in Lucerne as well. Just seeing all your food photos is killing us! We want to go now!

I read through your thread last night and later when I came back all of the River Cruise thread looked like it was in Chinese. Does any one know what happened.

Mary

I read through your thread last night and later when I came back all of the River Cruise thread looked like it was in Chinese. Does any one know what happened.

Mary

It's a form of hacking that I call "Projectile Spam." I remove it as fast as I can.

In Europe, DST happens a few weeks later than in the US. It happened the night prior to embarkation for us. No big deal, as we use our smartphone as our alarm clock, and, an hour late wouldn't have a negative impact if we did oversleep.

It took us less than 10 minutes to get to the train station, where there were many employees on hand to help us get to Basel. We took a bus to a station outside of Lucerne, and we were off.

The first train was uncrowned, plenty of room. We had to change in Olten. The train to Basel was late-shocking! When it arrived, it was the high speed type of train, and was packed-likely due to the festival happening in Basel. Fortunately, the luggage racks were empty, and I found a seat. My husband had to stand. It was a nonstop to Basel, so that helped. We arrived, found the green bus to the airport, and had 15 minutes to get to the airport for the transfer to the ship.

Fortunately, I had looked at the airport map, and knew exactly where the meeting point was. We got there as they were leading pax to the bus, for transport. I sent my DH ahead, and checked in. Soon, we were on our way!

It took about 30 minutes to get to Kemps, and we had a nice narrative along the way.

We checked in, and were told that we could enjoy the buffet lunch, or take a bike into Kemps. Since we hadn't eaten all day, we chose the former.

After lunch, we enjoyed the sun deck, and a glass of beer. We enjoyed the beautiful weather, chatting with a couple we had met at lunch. We quickly noticed the age range wasn't what we'd experienced in the past. There were several younger people on the ship.

We were notified around 2? that our room was ready, but we figured there would be a rush at the desk, so we got another drink and waited a bit longer.

We finally checked in, got our room card, and headed off. We had the aft-most cabin on the main level. This was our walk each time

ff46867e51c2eaf9003810f129f75078.jpg

Because we were past passengers with Uniworld, we were given a one category upgrade, from aquarium class to French balcony.

Here are a few pictures of the room, and bathroom

67b49e02fd31914859acf7d8b2dea808.jpg56b6d256348073afc7cff750e3fe6fef.jpg1e705a3250e6701eea5bb11cc379af53.jpg39b00f049ac7bb02e150fd7951990ca5.jpg50eb764feb79fc8d8097e17b907d52dd.jpg

Robin

It's a form of hacking that I call "Projectile Spam." I remove it as fast as I can.

Ahh... I've seen it on several boards here and only on my tablet (which I usually use at night), I was thinking something was wrong with my settings!

acwmom, love reading about your trip, you take fantastic pics. Glad you made your transfer ok, must have been a bit harry. Looking forward to more of your views on your trip.

Robin thank you for sharing this beautiful trip. Love all your photos. Those mountains are so gorgeous and clear and crisp. Was it freezing cold up there? We have been following you with a lot of interest as we are taking a similar trip in Sept. on the Rhine. We will be traveling in Switzerland for 7 days prior to our cruise and will be spending a couple of days in Lucerne as well. Just seeing all your food photos is killing us! We want to go now!

Mary

Mary,

It was cool, but not cold, on Pilatus. We were fine in our fleecy jackets. My husband wants to return, so he can ski. I don't ski, myself, but would be content to sit by a fire and watch!

Robin

Ahh... I've seen it on several boards here and only on my tablet (which I usually use at night), I was thinking something was wrong with my settings!

acwmom, love reading about your trip, you take fantastic pics. Glad you made your transfer ok, must have been a bit harry. Looking forward to more of your views on your trip.

Daisi, thanks. I have a mixture of iPhone and sony camera pics. I need to get the sony ones uploaded to lightroom/photoshop to eliminate the annoying spot that must have been on the lens:-)

We knew when we left Lucerne that we had a bit of an adventure ahead of us, so we took it in stride. We had plenty of time to transfer, without the late train. My husband just follows me, and goes where I tell him to go!

Robin

Robin, can I ask what type of Sony you have? I have the Cybershot DSC H400 which I will be taking, so hoping I can get as good of pics. I have been stocking up on memory cards and fortunately, can use micro sd for iPhone, android tablets & camera. I'm hoping I have enough, as I know not to delete until I get home & see them up close...and when I have a camera in my hand I can be dangerous.

Robin, can I ask what type of Sony you have? I have the Cybershot DSC H400 which I will be taking, so hoping I can get as good of pics. I have been stocking up on memory cards and fortunately, can use micro sd for iPhone, android tablets & camera. I'm hoping I have enough, as I know not to delete until I get home & see them up close...and when I have a camera in my hand I can be dangerous.

Daisy,

It is an Alpha a6000. I like it because it also has the old fashioned view finder, in addition to the screen. It makes it much easier for me to see what I'm taking a picture of, and frame my shots.

Robin

We got unpacked, looked at all of the "goodies" left for us (schedules, pillow menu, fresh fruit tray) then explored a bit more, prior to our cruise overview talk, held in the lounge

The main lounge:

54c912104cde7403edccea18a844e869.jpg

71a556aef9d74b2ccecb5052360e19a5.jpg

The Leopard Lounge (on this ship, this Lounge is on the sun deck level, and was only opened 4/7 nights (had to be lowered the other 3 for bridges)

5a0f477b43cb40067206ecb58318cdcb.jpg

The swimming pool, which got used frequently, on our cruise. This pool is also totally separate from the Leopard Lounge, so guests don't have to parade through the lounge to swim.

99b7b2103e5a2dc8fcc6985b4e24fcb7.jpg

The fitness center, just steps away from our cabin. Loved it for the ice machine convenience

e6bea5122e05ffad78a4bc75408ffcd1.jpg

The beautiful chandelier in the lobby/atrium:

df254c7c5233f7741ed4af7bab0986ae.jpg

After our cruise overview talk, we headed one deck down, for our first dinner. My apologies for forgetting to take a picture of the menu.

We enjoyed a table next to the window. We were joined by a couple from California, on their first river cruise.ea0e92781db323e592efbe331eeda187.jpg

The sun setting, on the horizon

929d09dd0283a490d62fa05cc0363525.jpg

For my appetizer, escargot

b71f0c044c83e8b36e4b3a1e98762790.jpg

Next, French onion soup (I think....)

595648fc62eca67b70b9031a0ca78d06.jpg

For my entree, prime rib

630a5635fa9ce5e5ed888b6fdd553ac4.jpg

And, for dessert, ship-made ice cream and fresh fruit9e7f6cb7b5e075d4aa2b0cc445c83e2d.jpg

Thanks for this thread - I'm really enjoying sailing "along" with you. One question: I believe this cruise is on Uniworld but you didn't mention that in the title. Would you mind if I added that? [Maybe it's just me, but everything I see that this thread has been updated I have to ask myself which cruise line you're on :)]

Thanks for this thread - I'm really enjoying sailing "along" with you. One question: I believe this cruise is on Uniworld but you didn't mention that in the title. Would you mind if I added that? [Maybe it's just me, but everything I see that this thread has been updated I have to ask myself which cruise line you're on :)]

I don't mind, at all. Yes, it was on Uniworld's SS Antoinette.

Robin