If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

Buy magnetic hooks. Amazon or your local home improvement store. The walls are metal. The wife and Kids (all girls) pack all of their essentials in a travel bag (they have holes to hang them) and hang them up in the bathroom.

A huge space saver. Its also nice to have extra hooks to hang damp items.

Yes.

Your cabin steward will appreciate how smart you have become. (sarcasm)

...trying to clean with your crap hanging on the walls.;p

Ship cabins can be small and clutter easily,

and often don’t offer a lot of hanging options for towels and jackets.

However, most cabin walls are metal, which means they’re also magnetic.

Before you embark, invest in a few magnet clips and hooks.

This will allow you to hang extra wet bathing suits, and help you stay organized as you clip daily itineraries and other important documents to the wall.

Here's what I wish I'd known. NCL has an extensive history of making unfavorable changes which will be instituted before your cruise . These may be gratuity increases or adding gratuities to "free" perks . It may be changing policies and not allowing passengers to bring on any beverages . Other changes have included greatly reducing free room service items . They may make negative changes like not allowing food to be taken out of the buffet and then backing down on this one . Hopefully you will get what you thought you were paying for . Good luck on that .

Which ports are you afraid of not taking ship excursions ? So far I haven't experienced any .

I am not an experienced cruiser (only 1 under my belt) so I've appreciated everyone's input on different ports. It seems that,depending on the port, people have opinions as to which ports are easy to get around on your own and others are better to take excursions. I wasn't talking about any ports specifically, I was just emphasizing the idea to do your research. We didn't on our first cruise and didn't get to enjoy one of our ports due to poor planning on our part.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even though it is freestyle, if you find a wait staff you like in the MDR, you can always ask to be seated in their section. Then you get the familiarity of the wait staff, with the freedom to dine on your schedule.

Go to o'sheehans for that late night craving! Better than the waiting for room service and avoid the room service charge.

Not ncl specific, but regarding excursions.... if it's your first cruise, I always advise booking through the cruiseline. Yes, it is more expensive, but for a first cruise, you don't need that added stress. Once you have a cruise under your belt and are familiar with navigating your way at cruise ports, then opt for less expensive local excursions.

Buy Boca Clips from Amazon or from Bed Bath and Beyond to keep your towels from slipping off your loungers every time you sit down or move around. It also keeps them from blowing away if it's windy.

Thanks, just ordered some 😄. Great tip!!

Day 2 on the breakaway have the haven spa ... haven defiantly worth every cent ... spa for the fiancé worth it decent for me .. haven is awesome ! First time cruiser ...

i have a whole different thread going on the haven bc i'm debating whether to keep my bid on it or not...there aren't too many who say that they didn't love it! just debating if the extra expense is worth that much or if we should use it for another vacation

If you like your NCL experience and plan to possible sail on NCL again then I would suggest purchasing cruise next certificates. .50 on the dollar for your first $1000. 00 on your next NCL cruise. Look into it. And sometimes you can use two on one cruise like I have done on many occasions. Free money

If you like your NCL experience and plan to possible sail on NCL again then I would suggest purchasing cruise next certificates. .50 on the dollar for your first $1000. 00 on your next NCL cruise. Look into it. And sometimes you can use two on one cruise like I have done on many occasions. Free money

Are those offered on the cruise?

Yes. You receive on board credits to your on board account. If you do not use the credits for the spa, shirts, tours, etc. then the credits pay for half of your cruise next purchase. Anyway you look at it if you plan to cruise again it is free money. I was able to use two for my upcoming Alaskan cruise.:D

Hi! Going on my 5th NCL cruise (2nd on Breakaway) this summer. Here are a few tips I can think of:

1. I always bring 3M hooks (they don't damage the walls and come in so many varieties).

2. I bring a few collapsible bins (fabric ones that fold flat and don't take up too much room in the suitcase) to use on the closet shelves, etc. to keep my socks, etc. organized. The smaller ones are great for the bathroom too!

3. I'm a scrap booker. I also try to bring a large manilla envelope for each day so I remember what I did. I put the dailies, tickets, etc. from each day and write the date and any memorable moments on the outside. It's amazing what you forget with all of the fun you're having.

4. Definitely go to the cruise director's activities on the first night and introduce yourself! On my first cruise we did this and 12 years later I am still in contact with Colin (our first CD) and he is actually one of my best friends! His parents even stayed with me when they came to the US!

5. I always pack a few extra hangers - just an FYI.

6. I always pack too much! Lol!

7. An over-the-door shoe holder is an amazing organizing tool - especially when traveling with a family. It can hold toiletries, toys, chargers, etc. (this is where your 3M hooks help).

8. I ALWAYS bring an extension cord and a surge protector strip. There are never enough outlets in the cabins.

9. Ladies, one word - wristlets! Great for your card, phone, and all of those receipts you get throughout the day. Lol!

10. Have fun and enjoy every minute! It always goes by too fast!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi! Going on my 5th NCL cruise (2nd on Breakaway) this summer. Here are a few tips I can think of:

1. I always bring 3M hooks (they don't damage the walls and come in so many varieties).

2. I bring a few collapsible bins (fabric ones that fold flat and don't take up too much room in the suitcase) to use on the closet shelves, etc. to keep my socks, etc. organized. The smaller ones are great for the bathroom too!

3. I'm a scrap booker. I also try to bring a large manilla envelope for each day so I remember what I did. I put the dailies, tickets, etc. from each day and write the date and any memorable moments on the outside. It's amazing what you forget with all of the fun you're having.

4. Definitely go to the cruise director's activities on the first night and introduce yourself! On my first cruise we did this and 12 years later I am still in contact with Colin (our first CD) and he is actually one of my best friends! His parents even stayed with me when they came to the US!

5. I always pack a few extra hangers - just an FYI.

6. I always pack too much! Lol!

7. An over-the-door shoe holder is an amazing organizing tool - especially when traveling with a family. It can hold toiletries, toys, chargers, etc. (this is where your 3M hooks help).

8. I ALWAYS bring an extension cord and a surge protector strip. There are never enough outlets in the cabins.

9. Ladies, one word - wristlets! Great for your card, phone, and all of those receipts you get throughout the day. Lol!

10. Have fun and enjoy every minute! It always goes by too fast!

Some good tips but number 8 is only half right. Extension cord yes, no surge protectors allowed. They draw too much power for the ship electrical system and have been prohibited for a long time. Enjoy your next cruise and be safe.

Some good tips but number 8 is only half right. Extension cord yes, no surge protectors allowed. They draw too much power for the ship electrical system and have been prohibited for a long time. Enjoy your next cruise and be safe.

I was on the Breakaway and didn't have a problem using my surge protector. No one confiscated it or told me I couldn't use it. I've brought one on every cruise without an issue. Perhaps the type you brought/used was different. I use a Belkin that has two USB ports as well. 4c96061f3cddb77455851b60e680b99a.jpg

You can sneak it out

Sadly true!! Those wings are incredible. I had them 6/7 days of my last cruise... ha ha.

Here are my things I wish I knew, I had too many to write in this box. Sorry!

http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-ncl/

Booking shows on the newer ships is definitely one new NCL cruisers should know about, id hate to miss out on the shows! They're fab :-)

1. Leave yourself open to some surprises. I did sooooo much research before my first cruise that nothing really surprised and delighted me. My husband, on the other hand, did no research and just relied on me so he had surprises and delights at every turn :)

2. Take the feedback here on CC (and all the other sites you might be visiting) with a grain of salt. The way YOU cruise might be different than the way other people cruise. I'm a haven cruiser and I spend extra money that others might not want to. I enjoy a pastry, lobster roll or gelato which are all extra costs on the Breakaway...totally worth it to me, not worth it to others. You decide :)

3. Try and take a behind the scenes tour (extra $100ish per person) if it's your first cruise. It really gives you a great understanding of what it takes to run a hotel on water.

4. If you are in Haven, request a dinner with a Ship's officer. Not a guarantee, but often if you ask they accommodate you.

5. Talk to the crew! Your room steward, waiters, waitresses, bartenders are friendly, engaging and interesting people who come from all over the world and they love to talk to friendly guests.

6. Bring binoculars! We've seen whale, shark, dolphin, flying fish and a myriad of birds on every cruise.

7. Explore the entirety of the ship...the artwork is great, and the attention to detail throughout is worth seeing. And sometimes, you find the best nooks and crannies to hang out.

8. Bring poo-pouri for your water closet. No vents, no windows. Enough said.

9. Step outside your comfort zone, even in small ways. Play a game, take a dance class, learn something new.

10. Sometimes NOT getting off at a port is a great idea. The spa services are less expensive, the cruise ship is not crowded and it's often he most relaxing way to spend a day.

11. Expect to walk a lot so bring comfy shoes

That's all I've got for now. Enjoy your first cruise - no matter what you do, enjoy!

All great ideas, great post!

All great ideas, well said!

4. If you're not planning to use the bar in your room, ask your steward to unload it and fill it up with a pitcher of Iced Tea/Lemonade - it's free!

This is amazing! I've never heard of this before! We always have the room steward unload the mini bar, but never thought that they would put Iced Tea in it!

(Is it good iced tea or the flavored stuff out of the soda tap?)

This could be a game changer now that they won't let me bring my case of Dr. Pepper on board!

Thanks!