If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

Where do you suggest we go for sail away? Is there anything special taking place? TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any where outside on the upper decks if the weather is cooperating! If you are in into the fun party atmosphere there is typically a sail away party.

Any where outside on the upper decks if the weather is cooperating! If you are in into the fun party atmosphere there is typically a sail away party.

I was on the Getaway in January, and we had a great Sail Away party up on Deck 16 in Spice H2O.

:DI made reservations online, it's all under dining. I didn't realize you couldn't either until

I read about from someone else. Worked out great for us. I'm gluten free also- but that's a whole other story- they were amazing!! 😊

I made reservations online for the MDR. I had no idea you can do this before the cruise.Thanks for the tip. Hope it works.

I made reservations online for the MDR. I had no idea you can do this before the cruise.Thanks for the tip. Hope it works.

I'm really not sure where to be able to do that. I went into dining, but all that's there is specialty dining packages. It's most likely way too early to reserve, but I was just trying to see where I would reserve.

I'm really not sure where to be able to do that. I went into dining, but all that's there is specialty dining packages. It's most likely way too early to reserve, but I was just trying to see where I would reserve.

I read that with NCL you can make reservations through the website 90 days before you sail once your trip is paid in full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I was originally trying to book, I thought that the SDP was like the UBP - for the entire length of the cruise! It wasn't until after I booked that I realized it was only for 3 days. They don't advertise it and I couldn't find it in the terms and conditions. Did I miss it? It would be kind of nice to know before choosing your perks bc it could influence the decision.

Same here! The only reason I realized it was 3 days was because I made reservations online and it wanted to charge me. Ended up calling customer service to figure out why.

We lucked out and got the SDP and the UBP for free when we booked, so I couldn't be too upset about only 3 nights in a specialty restaurant

Where have you been ? :p

They instituted this cash grab last summer with a 2 week notice 4 weeks before our cruise . No soda ,no juice , no water , NOTHING ! No liquids may be brought on either on departure or after port stops . :mad:

I believe they said it was for our convenience .

You can bring wine on board and pay a corkage fee. You can bring mouthwash on board for free. Where have you been? At an Expos game?

I went online to dining- made all our reservations for the week- including speciality restaurants. It was great. Walked up to desk at dinner, gave our name and they sat us right down.

On the Gem?

If you can't tell if you're walking toward the front or back of the ship, just look down at the carpet and look at the direction the fish are swimming.

Keep watch for the single red fish swimming upstream -- that's the rebellious fish, which also is the name of a great adult beverage on NCL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which direction do they swim???

I think only specialty restaurants can be booked ahead on the Gem

Both the Grand Pacific and Magenta main dining rooms are available for me to book on our Gem cruise this month. They have been available to book since we were 100 days out since we are in a suite. They have been available to everyone not in a suite since 90 days out.

Both the Grand Pacific and Magenta main dining rooms are available for me to book on our Gem cruise this month. They have been available to book since we were 100 days out since we are in a suite. They have been available to everyone not in a suite since 90 days out.

good to know.....i read on another thread that the main dining rooms on smaller ships couldn't be booked prior to boarding...is this under the dining tab?

good to know.....i read on another thread that the main dining rooms on smaller ships couldn't be booked prior to boarding...is this under the dining tab?

Yes, under dining along right along with the specialities. The only one that wasn't available earlier is Teppanyaki. I only noticed it being available around 30 days out.

• 5 months later...
Days of sharing tables is, for the most part, gone. You will be seated at a table for 4. Just like any restaurant at home.

But if you tell the Hostess that you are willing or would like to share a table - you meet wonderful people that also want to meet new people! I've been in touch with many friends that I've met this way from all over the world. don't be afraid to ask

But if you tell the Hostess that you are willing or would like to share a table - you meet wonderful people that also want to meet new people! I've been in touch with many friends that I've met this way from all over the world. don't be afraid to ask

That is not something that is done on NCL. Their MDRs are just like restaurants, and you are only seated with your own group. Personally, I'm much happier with NCL because of it. I don't care to eat at a table with a bunch of strangers. When I cruise other lines, I ask for a table for 2--or how many people are with us in our party.

One more tip - bring a few magnets from your home country or something interesting. It's hard for people to remember your cabin # but if you say, in my case, my cabin (starboard mid on floor 10) is just down the hall with a Canadian Magnet on the door..... I gave a couple of different ones to friends that I met on the cruise and it was lots of fun and a conversation starter with others - and besides I could find their cabin instead of trying to remember the exact number!

Love NCL - now Platinum

That is not something that is done on NCL. Their MDRs are just like restaurants, and you are only seated with your own group. Personally, I'm much happier with NCL because of it. I don't care to eat at a table with a bunch of strangers. When I cruise other lines, I ask for a table for 2--or how many people are with us in our party.

It is by request only - when we are about to be seated, I'll make a point of telling the hostess that we would be more than happy to share a table with others - we have been seated and others have been brought to our table or vice versa. Travelling with a friend or a couple bored with each other - it can really add a fun aspect to dinner. Loved learning all about where they were from and their experiences, too. Not like dining in a restaurant in a big city - all the people on the ship are from somewhere and they all have interesting stories to tell. AND you don't have to sit with them ever again if you don't want to!

1. Leave yourself open to some surprises. I did sooooo much research before my first cruise that nothing really surprised and delighted me. My husband, on the other hand, did no research and just relied on me so he had surprises and delights at every turn :)

2. Take the feedback here on CC (and all the other sites you might be visiting) with a grain of salt. The way YOU cruise might be different than the way other people cruise. I'm a haven cruiser and I spend extra money that others might not want to. I enjoy a pastry, lobster roll or gelato which are all extra costs on the Breakaway...totally worth it to me, not worth it to others. You decide :)

3. Try and take a behind the scenes tour (extra $100ish per person) if it's your first cruise. It really gives you a great understanding of what it takes to run a hotel on water.

4. If you are in Haven, request a dinner with a Ship's officer. Not a guarantee, but often if you ask they accommodate you.

5. Talk to the crew! Your room steward, waiters, waitresses, bartenders are friendly, engaging and interesting people who come from all over the world and they love to talk to friendly guests.

6. Bring binoculars! We've seen whale, shark, dolphin, flying fish and a myriad of birds on every cruise.

7. Explore the entirety of the ship...the artwork is great, and the attention to detail throughout is worth seeing. And sometimes, you find the best nooks and crannies to hang out.

8. Bring poo-pouri for your water closet. No vents, no windows. Enough said.

9. Step outside your comfort zone, even in small ways. Play a game, take a dance class, learn something new.

10. Sometimes NOT getting off at a port is a great idea. The spa services are less expensive, the cruise ship is not crowded and it's often he most relaxing way to spend a day.

11. Expect to walk a lot so bring comfy shoes

That's all I've got for now. Enjoy your first cruise - no matter what you do, enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums