If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

On 4/3/2017 at 6:12 PM, morningstar4 said:

NCL newbie here....

Is there anything you wish someone had told you before embarking on your NCL cruise so you didn't miss out on something or so you had information that was particularly helpful or important? Help out all of us newbies (and non-newbies) with your great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one thing I discovered after several cruises was that it was cheaper, more comfortable and quicker to take a cab from the airport to the cruise pier and back than to get the transfer package from the cruise line. This is good for most ports but do your research before you go; I believe that LAX to the pier is better from the cruise line.

• Like 1

My neighbor is a big cruiser.  Her tips were very helpful - take post it notes to leave notes in the cabin or doors.  Bring a highlighter to highlight your daily for which items you want to do and bring a shoe carrier (over the door) to hang small things, like your hair brush etc. 

My own list includes now: Bring paper copies of your trip reservations and plans, systems can be down, not work right etc and I have corrected a rental car error based on my paper history.  Bring your own medicines aspirin, etc. as buying any on board or in port can be difficult and pricey. 

Addressing a few questions here:

Each adult in the cabin is permitted to bring 1 750 ml (regular sized) bottle of wine for consumption IN YOUR CABIN with no corkage fee. You may bring more bottles to bring to the dining room, etc. however, those will be subject to the $15.00 per bottle corkage fee. And there is nothing that says you cannot open the bottle in your cabin, pour a glass and then go wandering. You just can't bring it to the dining room and ask the waiter to open it without paying the corkage fee.

I have an Excel style form that I utilize for packing purposes. First column indicates the date and activity (ex: 11/10 Sunday Embarkation) second column indicates what clothing, including shoes and undies for myself, and third column indicates same for hubby. I may have 3 or 4 lines for the same day, depending on activities (ie: 11/10 Sunday Embarkation, 11/10 Sunday Sail Away, 11/10 Sunday Dinner ( these are just examples, please don't give me crap about my examples!!)) This way, as I build my packing list, I can mix and match outfits, you know, wear the same pants on day 2 and day 4. Remember, you usually only wear an outfit for a few hours, and unless it is a workout outfit, you are likely not sweating or getting it too dirty. Also, remember that most people do not care what you are wearing or if you wear the same outfit more than once. As for formal nights, hubby refuses to wear a tie, as he spent too many years in the corporate world doing so. He will wear nice slacks and a Tommy Bahama or Tori Richard shirt, (on a previous cruise, we had the Cruise Director so enamored of my husbands shirts that he would make it a point to track us down every evening to see his shirt!!),  while I wear a cocktail dress or nice black pants and a pretty top with blingy jewelry. We have decided that on our upcoming Fall cruise, one of the Formal nights, we are going to dress it up with a suit and a black velvet gown and get a good picture for our Christmas cards.

Now, what I wish I had known before my first cruise? That I don't have to choose between 2 entrees, or appetizers or desserts. I can order as many as I want. However, I usually tell them to just bring the entrée and not the sides that typically go with it. For example, I LOVE the Princess Fettuccine Alfredo, but also LOVE their salmon. I simply ask for the salmon atop the fettuccine. That way, I don't end up with the potatoes or rice or whatever else the Chef pairs the salmon with.

Finally, absolutely NOT necessary, however, I am very grateful for and appreciative of the Wait Staff, Cabin Stewards, Bartenders, etc. and their efforts to make my cruise perfect. I typically bring about $200 in $1's and $5's, with which I tip. After a couple of tips to a bar attendant, they remember us and we are treated accordingly. We find that a little kindness goes a long way! And our philosophy is that if we can't afford this small kindness over and above the daily gratuities, we probably shouldn't be cruising.  

• Like 1

Each adult in the cabin is permitted to bring 1 750 ml (regular sized) bottle of wine for consumption IN YOUR CABIN with no corkage fee.

Totally untrue on NCL, all wine requires a corkage fee.

Edited by casofilia

On 7/30/2018 at 2:17 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

The power in your cabin will only work when there is a card in the slot on wall by the door. We always bring an old cruise line card to keep in there, so that you don’t need to leave your current sail card in there. This seems to be how all newer cruise ships are conserving power. It is even showing up in some Carnival ships.

Wouldn't the person cleaning your room report this or take it out?

2 hours ago, Cariot said:

Wouldn't the person cleaning your room report this or take it out?

No. Why would they remove it? I don’t leave it all the way down (to keep power on), but pull it up slightly as I walk out of cabin. The cabin stewards do not remove it. I have used this practice on the three last Ships I’ve been on that had this system to keep your cabin powered. Keep in mind, that if you want to leave something charging in your cabin when you leave cabin, you must keep the card down and keep power on in cabin. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the tips in here! We just got back from a week on the Breakaway, our first time in The Haven. They had a "dummy card" for us the whole time to keep the power on. I wish I'd known they had a scale and a lighted makeup mirror so I didn't need to pack mine, at least in the 2-room family suite.