If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

I misread the question initially....but I say Belize City just because there was nothing to do at the port. We were not allowed to leave the gates without an excursion. There were armed guards at the gate. Felt very uneasy. Other passengers that we spoke with had excursions and had a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok thanks! Have never been!

Ok, these tips are great! I am a die hard researcher, HATE to be surprised, and like to know as much as I possibly can about the ship. That being said, I am a bit apprehensive about our upcoming Alaska cruise aboard Jewel. We have not cruised NCL previously, and we are not familiar with freestyle cruising. We have the UBP, as well as SDP (3)(but will pay for a 4th night with friends). We have chosen Teppanyaki, Churrascaria, Cagney's, and Le Bistro. Any suggestions there?

As previously mentioned, I always bring heavy duty magnetic clips (great for keeping paper notifications out of the way, but handy), clothes pins (for your towels at the pool, or to keep things from blowing away on the balcony), a flashlight (just in case), small led candle lights (they make great nightlights). I also bring a plug extender, NOT a surge protector, but an outlet extender. I am also the one who is prepared for nearly everything! Sea sick meds, ginger lozenges, first aid kit, band aids, ace bandage.

We cruised the Sun in 2016 in Alaska, and had a great time. We picked up the ship in Seward, as we had a land tour prior to the cruise. The Jewel is a nice ship we sailed her in 2005 Transatlantic from Dover England to New York. The Jewel has been refurbished, not sure what year, but it was a nice ship to get around.

Interesting because other people on my cruise and friends who’ve cruised before had different experiences.

But that’s what I had assumed was they’d charge you when boarding.

Did they cruise on NCL? Most lines allow 2 bottles per cabin for free, not NCL.

LOL....I love seeing these overly dramatic takes on some things such as the above. We enjoyed Moderno though I didn't find it to be quite at the level of some of the more upscale offerings around Atlanta. However, it certainly was anything but 'nasty'.

• 2 weeks later...
Eat at one of the specialty restaurants the first night of the cruise -

the main dining room gets very crowded!

I agree, however, with 3000+ pax,

also consider that any place with "The Main Event" will be crowded.

Even if you want to attend the likes of "Progressive Trivia" as a group,

find and fight for seats at least a half-hour hour early.

Edited by $hip$hape

I've seen lots of threads about how expensive bottled water is. You can get a "glass" of ice water at any bar, restaurant, from any waiter for free.

YES!!! I just bring my own water bottle to refill all the time. Save money. Save waste!

MIXED READINGS HERE - I have a question, I know this is for "If I had only known" however, once the reply is here this will help me and others....;)

I have not cruised in over 10 years - I am booked on The Bliss and I want to bring walkie talkies for my son to carry with him so that I can reach him.

1.) Can I bring them on board? - I have read there is a "naughty line" and I don't want to be in it if I can't bring them.

2.) Will they work on board - they are a very good brand (expensive actually)?

Help :confused:

I have never heard you can not bring them. Below is the link to prohibited items. We took them on our last Disney cruise, and they dont work very well on board. If you are on deck they are ok, but inside was bad at best. For NCL we use the app to make calls/text to each other and just carry our cell phones, it works most of the time.

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

MIXED READINGS HERE - I have a question, I know this is for "If I had only known" however, once the reply is here this will help me and others....;)

I have not cruised in over 10 years - I am booked on The Bliss and I want to bring walkie talkies for my son to carry with him so that I can reach him.

1.) Can I bring them on board? - I have read there is a "naughty line" and I don't want to be in it if I can't bring them.

Walkie Talkies are allowed, but they don’t always work well onboard. Perhaps because yours are a very good expensive set, they may work better. You will not be sent to the naughty line! Lol!

I have never heard you can not bring them. Below is the link to prohibited items. We took them on our last Disney cruise, and they dont work very well on board. If you are on deck they are ok, but inside was bad at best. For NCL we use the app to make calls/text to each other and just carry our cell phones, it works most of the time.

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Walkie Talkies are allowed, but they don’t always work well onboard. Perhaps because yours are a very good expensive set, they may work better. You will not be sent to the naughty line! Lol!

Thank you! I know it is not the Maury line, but I

have Read Here That When they Find contraband You Go Somewhere naughty;) ;););):)

Here's a couple of things I wish I knew for my first NCL cruise. And it may be moot to you and most everyone here on CC. BUT Alaska cruise in 2012 was our first NCL cruise.

Dining Room stops breakfast at 9:30 a.m. We thought that was SUPER early, for being on vacation. I mean McDs served breakfast until 11am (until they changed it to all day). We arrived at 9:20 and they said DR was closed.

2nd thing .... any salon appointment you make, you need a full 24 hours or more to cancel it. NO ONE told me that. I made my appointment when we first came on the ship (because they have employees in your face with 'specials'). No one said anything about a cancellation time. When I arrived stressed and angry for my appointment, I said I just wanted to cancel. It wasn't a good time and I would not be enjoying my massage. That's when they told me I couldn't cancel, it had to be 24 hours or more b4 appt. to cancel. OMG .... I asked them if they really wanted an angry, stressed out passenger as a customer right then, and did they really think they were getting a tip? They cancelled my appt.

Thank you! I know it is not the Maury line, but I

have Read Here That When they Find contraband You Go Somewhere naughty;) ;););):)

I’m just hoping my daughter doesn’t have her Young Living essential oil diffuser taken from her, as she is boarding a cruise ship this weekend. She swears diffusing the Theives oil purifies the cabin to keep them healthy while cruising.

I didn't realize the room steward puts ice in your ice bucket every day until at least halfway through my first cruise! I had assumed the ice bucket was empty and maybe there was a place to go fill it yourself like in a hotel? I felt really dumb! But it was so nice to know once I discovered it.

• 3 months later...
:DI made reservations online, it's all under dining. I didn't realize you couldn't either until

I read about from someone else. Worked out great for us. I'm gluten free also- but that's a whole other story- they were amazing!! 😊

I have to be Gluten Free too. We are going to be on the Escape in September. I have informed my TA and the cruise line . What were your experiences when letting the MDR know what you'd like for the following evening . Where did you eat on the day you embarked ? What about the specialty dinning ~ any better than others for you? we will be choosing 3 . did you risk the buffett?

I have to be Gluten Free too. We are going to be on the Escape in September. I have informed my TA and the cruise line . What were your experiences when letting the MDR know what you'd like for the following evening . Where did you eat on the day you embarked ? What about the specialty dinning ~ any better than others for you? we will be choosing 3 . did you risk the buffett?

When you board, go the the MDR and choose a gf entree, same for dinner, unless you meet with the dietary person early, in which case you can arrange you dinner (and breakfast if you want). Before heading to whatever restaurant you are going to, just give him/her a call. Specially was trickier, dd just chose gf options on the menu, maybe with sauces left off. In moderno, they let her know what was safe (the delicious cheese bread was safe). NCL is great for gluten free.

Contact accessdesk at ncl dot com today and explain your dietary needs. They will send you a form which you will fill out and return. When you arrive, go to the MDR for lunch and ask to speak with the Maitre d' or assistant. They will help you order your lunch, and then will stop by again to take your dinner and breakfast (and possibly lunch) order for that night and tomorrow. Your card will be associated with this dietary need, so make sure to hand them your card for meal check-ins. Contacting the access desk now will ensure that they order the full variety of GF foods to be on your sailing. They keep a nice number of items on hand, but you would not BELIEVE the stuff they pulled out on our little 4-day to Cuba on Sky! Amazing muffins, pancakes, waffles, toasted bread with every MDR meal, special desserts, pizzas and pasta for lunch in the Italian restaurant, GF-panko-breaded fried Thai shrimp...and even a plate of GF cookies delivered to our stateroom one afternoon. It was one of the best cruises for food I've ever experienced, and I was a little nervous about eating GF. We had just been on the same ship the previous year and the food was just OK...so having those needs can actually make your food experience better.

When you board, go the the MDR and choose a gf entree, same for dinner, unless you meet with the dietary person early, in which case you can arrange you dinner (and breakfast if you want). Before heading to whatever restaurant you are going to, just give him/her a call. Specially was trickier, dd just chose gf options on the menu, maybe with sauces left off. In moderno, they let her know what was safe (the delicious cheese bread was safe). NCL is great for gluten free.

Thank you ! Any other eating gluten free tips you can give me ?

My husband and I brought walkie talkies when we were on the gem and my husband was saved from being left behind in St. Thomas! He was on shore and I went back to the ship he lost track of time and the ship called the room asking if he was on board. I used the walkie talkie to get ahold of him and it worked!! I then had to run to where people board the ship and show them with the walkie talkie he was coming. He was the “runner” with his shirt off waving it over his head. He was almost left there!!! Always a great honeymoon story!

And to make sure you have an old room key card to leave in power slot for power in room.

This is the second time I see this now in an NCL forum. I have my first NCL cruise booked for November, on Epic in a Studio cabin. What's the deal with the electric?