If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

Hmm...this is about the 4th or 5th different rendition of the cost of this service. Just wondering if it's different for different NCL ships. We are going on the Breakaway and I heard it is about $15 per device but not sure if that's per week or for the entire cruise. We are on a 14 day.

I think it's off of how long your cruise is

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Free coffee and danish available for early risers on The Waterfront near The Wine Cellar.

Photo kiosk at The District.

Late night snacks at the buffet - little open faced sandwiches are delicious!

Which ship is that on?

We used iconcierge on our recent Breakaway trip. We used the app to see what was going on throughout the day, show times, and kept track of our bill and dinner reservations. That was all free. If you want to use the text feature it's $7.95 per phone. We found we didn't need it- it was only my husband and I. On Carnival last year we used their version with 16 of us and the texting feature was well worth it. It is $5 on Carnival.

The Vibe The Vibe The vibe...Spend the money and you will not regret it. Best money spent on any ship that has it..

Go up there one day open a 10ft umbrella next to the King size beds and have the bartender make you a pitcher of your favorite beverage and relax.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

DH and I were wondering if there were shady spots (besides being in a cabana) in Vibe on Breakaway?? We'd rather chill out in the shade somewhere than lay in the sun. Thanks!

Sooo about Freestyle dining- my husband and I did a last minute Florida/Bahamas cruise in 2013 on the Breakaway. It was a brand new ship then and I was so excited. We were new to freestyle dining (we usually have the late seating with Carnival) and knew nothing about how to go about it. We ate at the buffet every night as all the MDR lines were crazy long. Fast forward to April 2, 2017. Breakaway to the Florida/Bahamas take two- this time I made reservations for every restaurant we wanted to eat it, including speciality ones and also booked a show. It was so nice to know where we were going every night and what time. I made reservations for later on the days we were off the ship- GSC. Much better experience once I did some research and found out that we could book times in the MDR's. We actually really liked it!! [emoji267][emoji274][emoji484]

We used iconcierge on our recent Breakaway trip. We used the app to see what was going on throughout the day, show times, and kept track of our bill and dinner reservations. That was all free. If you want to use the text feature it's $7.95 per phone. We found we didn't need it- it was only my husband and I. On Carnival last year we used their version with 16 of us and the texting feature was well worth it. It is $5 on Carnival.

Thank you for this info! I have never used iconcierge before, as it has only been my hubby and myself, but when we cruise the Getaway again in January, we will have 13 family members together onboard. I think that app and texting each other will come in handy then. Can't wait! We loved the Getaway when we sailed on her last January, and I can't wait to share that ship with family. We will also have some first time cruisers with us, so that is exciting too!

Sooo about Freestyle dining- my husband and I did a last minute Florida/Bahamas cruise in 2013 on the Breakaway. It was a brand new ship then and I was so excited. We were new to freestyle dining (we usually have the late seating with Carnival) and knew nothing about how to go about it. We ate at the buffet every night as all the MDR lines were crazy long. Fast forward to April 2, 2017. Breakaway to the Florida/Bahamas take two- this time I made reservations for every restaurant we wanted to eat it, including speciality ones and also booked a show. It was so nice to know where we were going every night and what time. I made reservations for later on the days we were off the ship- GSC. Much better experience once I did some research and found out that we could book times in the MDR's. We actually really liked it!! [emoji267][emoji274][emoji484]

How do you reserve MDRs ahead of time? I never saw how to do that. We never had a wait for a table last January on the Getaway, but this next January we will have 13 family members with us, and probably should reserve if we want a table. Should we reserve once onboard, going up to the hostess and requesting a time, or can it be done online in my account?

Which ship is that on?

Not sure which ship this poster was on, but I can attest to the late evening snacks in the buffet on the Getaway. It opens at 9:30 and closes at 11:00. Great snacks--hot and cold! Also, you can always get great late night food in O'Sheehan's.

:DI made reservations online, it's all under dining. I didn't realize you couldn't either until

I read about from someone else. Worked out great for us. I'm gluten free also- but that's a whole other story- they were amazing!! 😊

How do you reserve MDRs ahead of time? I never saw how to do that. We never had a wait for a table last January on the Getaway, but this next January we will have 13 family members with us, and probably should reserve if we want a table. Should we reserve once onboard, going up to the hostess and requesting a time, or can it be done online in my account?

:DI made reservations online, it's all under dining. I didn't realize you couldn't either until

I read about from someone else. Worked out great for us. I'm gluten free also- but that's a whole other story- they were amazing!! 😊

Thank you! I will try that!

Can you tell me if you can request a table for 4 in the MDR or do they seat you at a large table that happens to have four seats available?

Days of sharing tables is, for the most part, gone. You will be seated at a table for 4. Just like any restaurant at home.

Can you tell me if you can request a table for 4 in the MDR or do they seat you at a large table that happens to have four seats available?

Days of sharing tables is, for the most part, gone. You will be seated at a table for 4. Just like any restaurant at home.

(For our party of two) many times we were offered a choice at MDR check-in...

"Would you like a table for two, or would you like to share a larger table?"

MAYBE some don't mind sharing a larger table and, Maybe at busy times, by sharing a larger table

you'll get seated quicker.

WE may request a table near the aft windows, not that we always get it,

but at least we let them know what we want.

Edited by $hip$hape

NCL newbie here....

Is there anything you wish someone had told you before embarking on your NCL cruise so you didn't miss out on something or so you had information that was particularly helpful or important? Help out all of us newbies (and non-newbies) with your great advice!

That the cabins and bathrooms are soooooooooooooooooo small

What a fun thread to stumble upon...

A few thoughts to add - about us for context- Family have been on 5 cruises (2 Disney, 2 NCL, 1 RCL); the 2 NCLs were on the Gem (Aft balcony) and the Breakaway this past Christmas (Haven 2 Family Suite). Headed to Bermuda in June in a H5 on the Breakaway and counting the days.

1. PooPourii...I agree wholeheartedly in buying this travel spray. No matter how big or small your bathroom (we've had both), it saves the marriage and family. We also get air fresheners to put around the room and bathroom. You can get a 3 pack at Bed, Bath & Beyond for about 5 dollars. We did "Cinnamon and cloves" for Christmas, and it actually smelled...like Christmas!
  2. Magnets / Hook Magnets...The last 2 rooms we stayed in had minimal metal to use magnets on. Has never worked well for us. Not saying this trick doesn't work, but maybe we didn't expend the effort to find more metal areas!
  3. Shopping / Laundry...Agree that if you can wait a few days, do not shop early or often! Everything goes on sale later in the trip. Spa, laundry, gym classes...everything goes 50-75% off at some point in the cruise. Especially the spa services....
  4. Spa Services...The fun of a message is rather ruined by the pushy sales pitch at the end. I know the therapists are obligated to sell, but it's not relaxing at all. I waited until a beach day at Great Stirrup Cay, and snuck in a 30 minute massage on the beach. for 50% off, I was more than happy to be half-nekid in a flimsy tent! It's odd..the sales pitch is stressful, but being bare from the top down in the midst of 5,000 beach-goers - not so much (what does that say about me?)
  5. Haven Living...unless you want to be ruined for the rest of your cruises, DO NOT ever book a Haven. You cannot (I repeat...CANNOT) go back to anything else. For us, the extra money is worth it, especially for the easy embarkation / debarkation and 5 star service 24/7. Calculate in the drinks, perks, and absolute dedication to your satisfaction - this is what vacationing is all about. We are not rich, but I put aside money every month to go on 2 trips a year, and to me, 7 days of luxury is worth every penny.

Sorry to sound like a snob - but if I had known about the Haven, I would never of traveled on the RCL Anthem in a balcony (like throwing away 6 grand). I challenge you - if you are in a balcony, start adding in your additional charged that NCL is so fond of - UDP, dining package, spending money...and you come really close to the H5 or H6...not the Owner's Suites, but the lowest level of Haven still gets everything "Haven".

Have fun....Amy

Question.... just how casual is NCL both around the ship in general and in the MDRs?

Very casual. You'll be fine with what you'd usually wear to a nice restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk