If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

Do you have to have the internet package for the app to work? If not, can your phone be in airplane mode and be able to use the app to text, etc ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't need the internet just need to be connected to wifi and airplain mode is fine

I wish I'd been told to not come home and write a CC review. Brutal experience! [emoji924] [emoji568] [emoji924] [emoji568]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why? What happened?

It takes a lot of time and effort to write a review. After your vacation, you have tons of things to attend to especially if you are still working and have kids. Also the memories of some minor details start to fade. I really sincerely appreciate the ones who spent time doing one! For those who did the reviews on the Board (rather than in the Reviews Section) and ready to answer questions from fellow cruisers, I respect them even more! Thank you all! (y)

Ok, these tips are great! I am a die hard researcher, HATE to be surprised, and like to know as much as I possibly can about the ship. That being said, I am a bit apprehensive about our upcoming Alaska cruise aboard Jewel. We have not cruised NCL previously, and we are not familiar with freestyle cruising. We have the UBP, as well as SDP (3)(but will pay for a 4th night with friends). We have chosen Teppanyaki, Churrascaria, Cagney's, and Le Bistro. Any suggestions there?

As previously mentioned, I always bring heavy duty magnetic clips (great for keeping paper notifications out of the way, but handy), clothes pins (for your towels at the pool, or to keep things from blowing away on the balcony), a flashlight (just in case), small led candle lights (they make great nightlights). I also bring a plug extender, NOT a surge protector, but an outlet extender. I am also the one who is prepared for nearly everything! Sea sick meds, ginger lozenges, first aid kit, band aids, ace bandage.

Ok, these tips are great! I am a die hard researcher, HATE to be surprised, and like to know as much as I possibly can about the ship. That being said, I am a bit apprehensive about our upcoming Alaska cruise aboard Jewel. We have not cruised NCL previously, and we are not familiar with freestyle cruising. We have the UBP, as well as SDP (3)(but will pay for a 4th night with friends). We have chosen Teppanyaki, Churrascaria, Cagney's, and Le Bistro. Any suggestions there?

As previously mentioned, I always bring heavy duty magnetic clips (great for keeping paper notifications out of the way, but handy), clothes pins (for your towels at the pool, or to keep things from blowing away on the balcony), a flashlight (just in case), small led candle lights (they make great nightlights). I also bring a plug extender, NOT a surge protector, but an outlet extender. I am also the one who is prepared for nearly everything! Sea sick meds, ginger lozenges, first aid kit, band aids, ace bandage.

Relax! You will love NCL! I sailed with NCL for the first time in January on the Getaway, and fell in love with the Freestyle Cruising concept! But I see you have specialty dinning, so I'm sure you already made your reservations for those places. If not, you may not get in. But with the MDRs, I loved just showing up and asking for a table. Too bad it wasn't that easy with the specialties, that fill up fast---at least on the larger ships sailing the Caribbean. Perhaps on your Alaska cruise that is not the case, but I wouldn't chance it if I were you, and make reservations if you haven't already done so. If you have, just relax and enjoy. We ate at Moderno and loved it! Enjoy your cruise!

:cool:[/quote

Yup I concur I.m at number 52 ..on all companies the only ones I have not been on are super luxurious think $$$$$$$ and Disney have done all other lines out of North America

Rellay like NCL ..they treat me usually very well and Holland America ...yummy food and great itineraries

Yup i.ve been hooked since my first cruise with my kids 5 and 8 at the time ..we have done many more since ..my kids are wonderful travel companions both young men now

Looking forward to our next one in June

Yes I love ships, balconies, seadSys woosh woosh of the waves ..a true vacation

Not necessarily, it depends on when you booked and the number of days for your cruise. Recently, it has only been 3 meals for a 7 night cruise.

When I was originally trying to book, I thought that the SDP was like the UBP - for the entire length of the cruise! It wasn't until after I booked that I realized it was only for 3 days. They don't advertise it and I couldn't find it in the terms and conditions. Did I miss it? It would be kind of nice to know before choosing your perks bc it could influence the decision.

:cool:[/quote

Yup I concur I.m at number 52 ..on all companies the only ones I have not been on are super luxurious think $$$$$$$ and Disney have done all other lines out of North America

Rellay like NCL ..they treat me usually very well and Holland America ...yummy food and great itineraries

Yup i.ve been hooked since my first cruise with my kids 5 and 8 at the time ..we have done many more since ..my kids are wonderful travel companions both young men now

Looking forward to our next one in June

Yes I love ships, balconies, seadSys woosh woosh of the waves ..a true vacation

Wow - 52! Hope I get to go on that may one day! [emoji4]

When I was originally trying to book, I thought that the SDP was like the UBP - for the entire length of the cruise! It wasn't until after I booked that I realized it was only for 3 days. They don't advertise it and I couldn't find it in the terms and conditions. Did I miss it? It would be kind of nice to know before choosing your perks bc it could influence the decision.

It is clearly marked once you find the Promo Terms & Conditions at the bottom of this page: https://www.ncl.com/cruise-deals/choice

I copied this from the above link:

Promotional

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Free at Sea Promotion

Booking Window: December 01, 2016 - May 01, 2017 11:59 pm EST

Applicable Sailings: 3 nights or longer sailings

Specialty Dining Package:

Sail Length.......# Of Dining Package Meals.....Retail Value.......18% Gratuities3-9 Nights...............................3.........................$69 per person........$12.42 per package

10+ Nights..............................4.........................$84 per person........$15.12 per package

Package prices are subject to change.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.

18% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package are included when booking through the Australia office.

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Any Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues, Food Republic, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages.

You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges: The Supper Club ($15 USD), For the Record ($15 USD), Ocean Blue ($15 USD), Bayamo ($15 USD), Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 USD regular seats/$15 USD premium seats/$35 USD VIP seating on Breakaway), Sushi Bar ($7 USD), Pincho Tapas Bar ($7 USD), and Raw Bar ($7 USD).

Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu.

There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package.

No its the syrup based iced tea from the machines in the buffet and not available in the mornings. I like iced tea in the morning instead of coffee. I ask the room steward for large glasses or a pitcher and lots of ice and bring my cold brew tea bags to make my own iced tea.
That's exactly what I do. I also take "lemon slices" from the buffet and store them in the mini fridge.

I did the same thing morningstar4. I didn't realize it was for three meals and thought it was for the whole week. My TA didn't tell me and I happened to find it on the NCL webpage. I then changed it to the drink package even though I don't drink much alcohol. I do intend to drink three drinks a day and the rest soda and club soda.

"But with the MDRs, I loved just showing up and asking for a table.

Too bad it wasn't that easy with the specialties, that fill up fast---at least on the larger ships sailing the Caribbean.

Enjoy your cruise! "

I’ll only mention this once.

When you first arrive on the ship, go to the MDR and make note of the table’s numbers,

such as the preferred ones near the Aft windows.

Then, on the evening(s) when you go to the MDR, request from the Maître at check in,

a table type by number, or in a similar area.

You may have to wait, but at least you won’t be randomly seated near the kitchen door.

Edited by $hip$hape