If I had only known... What do you wish someone had told you prior to your 1st NCL cr

morningstar4

This is amazing! I've never heard of this before! We always have the room steward unload the mini bar, but never thought that they would put Iced Tea in it!

(Is it good iced tea or the flavored stuff out of the soda tap?)

This could be a game changer now that they won't let me bring my case of Dr. Pepper on board!

Thanks!

Really?!?!? They don't allow a case of soda?

Really?!?!? They don't allow a case of soda?
Where have you been ? :p

They instituted this cash grab last summer with a 2 week notice 4 weeks before our cruise . No soda ,no juice , no water , NOTHING ! No liquids may be brought on either on departure or after port stops . :mad:

I believe they said it was for our convenience .

They instituted this cash grab last summer with a 2 week notice 4 weeks before our cruise . No soda ,no juice , no water , NOTHING ! No liquids may be brought on either on departure or after port stops . :mad:

I cruised on different lines the past couple years. Going on the Breakaway in August, so it's time to brush up on NCL rules. Thanks for the info!

We always have the room steward unload the mini bar, but never thought that they would put Iced Tea in it!(Is it good iced tea or the flavored stuff out of the soda tap?)

No its the syrup based iced tea from the machines in the buffet and not available in the mornings. I like iced tea in the morning instead of coffee. I ask the room steward for large glasses or a pitcher and lots of ice and bring my cold brew tea bags to make my own iced tea.

Just a quick comment (just my two cents - lol) about Rock of Ages. I was on the Breakaway in August of 2015 with my 82 year old mother, 40-something brother and sis-in-law, and my 5 and 7 year old nephews. We all saw the show together and loved it! My nephews kept asking if they could see it again! Now, something's may have changed since then, but there was no nudity and yes, some bad language. My nephews were made aware of this ahead of time and know better than to EVER repeat profanity. Having said all of that, it is always a matter of personal taste, but you should judge for yourself - don't rely too heavily on someone else's opinion. Again, just my two cents. [emoji4][emoji173]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the Breakaway and didn't have a problem using my surge protector. No one confiscated it or told me I couldn't use it. I've brought one on every cruise without an issue. Perhaps the type you brought/used was different. I use a Belkin that has two USB ports as well. 4c96061f3cddb77455851b60e680b99a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Surge protectors that are not specifically rated for "marine use" are a fire hazard and in 2013 the USCG issued a Safety Alert concerning them:

https://goo.gl/GPTYSc

Surge protectors that are not specifically rated for "marine use" are a fire hazard and in 2013 the USCG issued a Safety Alert concerning them:

Ok. Thanks. It would have been nice for NCL to make that clear. I was on Breakaway in August of 2015 and no one said anything. I would never have purchased and/or used this if I knew that ahead of time. It will be replaced immediately.

Wow, thanks for posting this ^^^^^^. I read about NCL not wanting surge protectors on the ship but couldn't imagine why. Now I know. We don't need any fires onboard!

Maybe someone should start a separate thread on this.

:rolleyes:

Maybe someone should start a separate thread on this.

:rolleyes:

Where have you been ? clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703

There were many many many threads when it was brought in . There are other threads on NCL policy changes over the past , most not for the good .With time ,and other cruise lines following suit, it becomes just part of changes in the cruise experience . (Are you aware of room service charges ?)

There are positive changes mostly the new ships coming out and more restrictive smoking policies . Bottom line , despite the changes, cruises are still a great vacation option

Great tips - we are going on our first NCL cruise in May after 10 Carnival Cruises. Will be interesting to see the differences.

One thing I did notice was the internet plan - over $200 each for the week. Wow. You can get the social package which includes FB messenger on Carnival for $5 per day per person. (Social ($5 USD per day) – Access the most popular websites and applications. Includes: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, Pinterest, Linkedin, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Does not include access to other websites or apps.)

So how do people "text" or "message" each other onboard?

We too, are doing a NCL cruise in May, to Alaska after 10 Carnival and 1 HAL cruises. I do have to say, the food on HAL was to die for. Even in the MDR. I have not really read any rave reviews about food on NCL. I guess we will see. I don't think you can text anyone onboard without buying their package.

Spice H2O Aft of the ship (Getaway anyway) Deck 16

Adults only from 7 A.M. to 6 P.M.

Has lots of loungers, 2 hot tubs, a waterfall and a bar

FREE

It was NOT a quiet place to kick back. No shade. ...and I think smoking was allowed. We enjoyed "The waterfront" on Getaway MUCH more....

morningstar4---We sailed the Getaway in January--our first time on NCL--after 6 Carnival and 2 RCCL ships--and fell in love with Freestyle Cruising! We rebooked the same ship for January 2018 to share the experience with other family members who have never sailed NCL before! You will love it!!! If you are sailing either the Getaway or Breakaway, our favorite spot was on The Waterfront! And we were hooked on O'Sheehan's Irish Pub! I could go on and on, but you get the idea--we loved it! Have fun!

kleibo--download the iconcierge app. I believe it is $8 for the week to be able to text other members of your family onboard.

Do you have to have the internet package for the app to work? If not, can your phone be in airplane mode and be able to use the app to text, etc ?